IGNORED

Is it a sin to drive to drive a SUV?

Ddavid from NC

i always have too much time on my hands LOL. so i guess i can relate to that!

dannyboy, i don't think you were meaning to be offensive with your opinion, and it's a valid one. i'd like to give you food for thought though, and anyone else who might consider things as you do...

you said "It's my opinion that if there is a need to drive them then no but if there is not a need then one might consider it a sin or at least an indulgence. "

i'm not sure i would use the words sin and indulgence, at least in this context, in the same breath. i'm gonna use marnie and mike as an example. i doubt they have any real "need" for their new hummer. so most likely, it is sheer indulgence. but since they can afford it, and since they are very active in serving God and have obviously been blessed by Him in ways that my own pocketbook may not be blessed, is their indulgence even in the same sphere as sin?

i don't think so.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Biblicist
I certainly hope not. Mike came home with a new Hummer last night. If we're sinning, we're sinning in STYLE.

A real hummer, Marn? Like a military one!? I'D love to get one of those. My hubby is tall and hardly fits into our economy car.

With my son, who is not that far behind, and my husband in the car, there is barely room for me and our daughter in the back seat. It's rather cramped and uncomfortable in a dress on the way to church. Just picture a clown car, that's US!! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

i'm not sure i would use the words sin and indulgence, at least in this context, in the same breath. i'm gonna use marnie and mike as an example. i doubt they have any real "need" for their new hummer. so most likely, it is sheer indulgence. but since they can afford it, and since they are very active in serving God and have obviously been blessed by Him in ways that my own pocketbook may not be blessed, is their indulgence even in the same sphere as sin?

i don't think so.

indulgence: 1. an inability to resist the gratification of whims and desires 2. a disposition to yield to the wishes of someone; "too much indulgence spoils a child" 3. the act of indulging or gratifying a desire

I don't think buying a new car to replace one driven into the ground qualifies as an "indulgence." The price tag was $28,935. In today's world, that's not an outrageous price for a new car, one that will likely be driven for another decade, knowing Mike as I do. Furthermore, it is not financed so there is no interest or finance charges, which means the final and only cost to purchase is the sticker price, and not the compound interest charges, which add thousands of dollars to the cost of a vehicle.

These are reliable, built well, more economical than you would think because it is a midsize product built on the chassis of GM's compact Chevrolet Colorado pickup truck. It seats 5 comfortably and gets around 22 mpg on the highway, 17 mpg in town.

I certainly hope not. Mike came home with a new Hummer last night. If we're sinning, we're sinning in STYLE.

A real hummer, Marn? Like a military one!? I'D love to get one of those. My hubby is tall and hardly fits into our economy car.

With my son, who is not that far behind, and my husband in the car, there is barely room for me and our daughter in the back seat. It's rather cramped and uncomfortable in a dress on the way to church. Just picture a clown car, that's US!! :thumbsup:

No, Bib, it's an H3, the one that looks like the old Jeep Cherokees from the 80's and 90's.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  0

Shalom,

Sheya Joe and Marnie and anyone else.... y'all do NOT need to explain or in any way justify your choice to drive an SUV. :thumbsup:

SweetyCakes: Yeah! Isn't having a car paid for a great thing? We paid ours off recently and we are so thankful!!

Marnie: My kids will tell you, I have a meltdown every time I see a Hummer. I LOVE them, they are da bomb! We cannot afford one, but if we could (and the gas), we would RUN not walk to the nearest Hummer dealer and get one.

Oh, but the one I like they don't make anymore. I think it's the H-2, the BIG one. I really like that one, especially with all the grillwork. :t2: But, I can live (errr drive) vicariously through you guys! tee hee! I want a ride too!!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

indulgence: 1. an inability to resist the gratification of whims and desires 2. a disposition to yield to the wishes of someone; "too much indulgence spoils a child" 3. the act of indulging or gratifying a desire

I don't think buying a new car to replace one driven into the ground qualifies as an "indulgence." The price tag was $28,935. In today's world, that's not an outrageous price for a new car, one that will likely be driven for another decade, knowing Mike as I do. Furthermore, it is not financed so there is no interest or finance charges, which means the final and only cost to purchase is the sticker price, and not the compound interest charges, which add thousands of dollars to the cost of a vehicle.

These are reliable, built well, more economical than you would think because it is a midsize product built on the chassis of GM's compact Chevrolet Colorado pickup truck. It seats 5 comfortably and gets around 22 mpg on the highway, 17 mpg in town.

Shalom Marnie,

What people are failing to understand is that NO ONE can decide if a car is an indulgence for anyone but THEMSELVES! To even suggest that people should comment on what you drive and make these accusations is ridiculous, as is the premise of this thread.

You've explained and presented, but you didn't need to. The ONLY ONE you and Mike answer to is G-d for what you drive and not people who want to judge what they should not.

BTW, I think it was an excellent choice and if it were me, in your shoes, I'd buy 2! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Yeah, it's red. And it's hot, what can I say. But I look like teeny speck behind the wheel, so needless to say I don't drive it.

Look, this thread is fun; I'm not uptight and as somebody said in another thread someplace, diversity is fun. We're all different and we all have different tastes and abilities. One of my first cars, maybe my second, was a crummy Nissan pick up that we used have to push to get going. Ah, the good old days. Went forever on a tank of gas, though, but it was sure hard on the oil!

• Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

:thumbsup:

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  6,075
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Days Won:  3

It's rather cramped and uncomfortable in a dress on the way to church. Just picture a clown car, that's US!! :thumbsup:

Or Marnie's MINI!! :t2: