Lcash

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

The Bible is NOT a science text book and should not be presented as being one. Now before anyone goes balistic on me let me further say that Yes the bible contains scientific facts and descriptions. Whenever we take the position that the Bible is to be used to trace the lineage of the human race we are fooling ourselves and will lose that argument. The geneologies while accurate were not complete. The terms used for father of is also used for grandfather great grandfather etc etc etc. The tradition in the ancient Hebrew writings was to include only the important names in a certain geneology. To say that the days of Genesis were definatly 24 hour days is a misnomer. There are 3 different intertretations of the word Yom. It means 12 hour days, 24 hour days, and LONG periods of time. With those definitions the arument falls on it's face.

The science of the Bible is not an issue of salvation. Every story in scripture points not to the arguing points we keep handing out but they point to one central story. That is that man has fallen and without a redeamer he will not live in Christ but will die a sinners death. It is time we remember that lesson, stop beating the scientists over the head with your bible but understand he comes from a different point of view that sometimes strengthens his faith in Christ even more than yours..

Lcash

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

The Bible is NOT a science text book and should not be presented as being one. Now before anyone goes balistic on me let me further say that Yes the bible contains scientific facts and descriptions. Whenever we take the position that the Bible is to be used to trace the lineage of the human race we are fooling ourselves and will lose that argument. The geneologies while accurate were not complete. The terms used for father of is also used for grandfather great grandfather etc etc etc. The tradition in the ancient Hebrew writings was to include only the important names in a certain geneology. To say that the days of Genesis were definatly 24 hour days is a misnomer. There are 3 different intertretations of the word Yom. It means 12 hour days, 24 hour days, and LONG periods of time. With those definitions the arument falls on it's face.

The science of the Bible is not an issue of salvation. Every story in scripture points not to the arguing points we keep handing out but they point to one central story. That is that man has fallen and without a redeamer he will not live in Christ but will die a sinners death. It is time we remember that lesson, stop beating the scientists over the head with your bible but understand he comes from a different point of view that sometimes strengthens his faith in Christ even more than yours..

Lcash

And your point is.....??? :cool:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Lcash

And your point is.....??? :thumbsup:

I agree with what is basically written here, but I too am wondering what is just beyond the writing of this...the old slippery slope. I guess what I am saying is, what started this thought?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

"and the evening and the morning were the first day"

• Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

okay its good for social studies. okay?! :thumbsup: patricia1

• Topic Count:  183
  • Content Count:  1,892
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  09/07/1985

I agree with the OP.

The Bible is NOT a science text book and should not be presented as being one.

Science Is Not The Bible And Should Not Be Presented As Being One.

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" Romans 10:17

The Holy Bible Exposes Sins

"But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death" Proverbs 8:36

And Shows The Redeemer

"Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight" Colossians 1:13-22

The Holy Ghost Convects The Sinner

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Of sin, because they believe not on me;

Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you" John 16:7-14

:rolleyes:

Don't Leave Home Without The Bible

"Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee" Psalms 119:11

And Belief In The Lord Jesus Christ

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16

Eternity Could Be Just Up Ahead

"For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape" 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3

Glory! Glory! Glory!

"But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord" 1 Corinthians 1:30-31

:rolleyes:

Dear Brother Don't Just Smile And Wave Goodby To Sinners Bound For Hell

"Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables." 2 Timothy 4:2-4

Do Not Fear The Bible And Have No Shame Of God's Words

"Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels" Mark 8:38

And Do Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

PS: Worthy Is A Bible-Full Zone And A Word Or Two Or Three Could Appear In Any Post On Any Thread At Any Time Without Any Warning.

To The False Fakers - Fright

To The True Seekers - Delight

Jesus Is KING And His Holy Words Will Ring

The B-I-B-L-E

Oh! The B-I-B-L-E,

Yes that's the book for me.

I stand alone on the word of God,

the B-I-B-L-E!

The B-I-B-L-E

I'll take it along with me,

I'll read and pray,

and then obey,

the B-I-B-L-E.

By F-A-I-T-H,

I'm S-A-V-E-D,

I'll stand alone

on the word of God,

The B-I-B-L-E.

The B-L-O-O-D

That Jesus shed for me

Cleansed me from sin,

I belong to him,

The B-L-O-O-D

http://www.ebibleteacher.com/children/songs.htm#BIBLE

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

With regard to length of days, the phrase "evening and morning" settles it. Context clarifies the dispute, it was 24 hour days.

With regard to lineage, we have cross references from Old and New Testament which prove that the Old Testament Genealogy in Genesis -> 1 and 2 Kings and Chronicles is accurate and is not missing any names. For example, Enoch was the SEVENTH generation man, as Jude directly says so in the New Testament. And the people really did live that long. When you study the patriarchs, look at their ages when they died. Terah died at 205yrs(though he isn't usually mentioned as a "patriarch"), Abraham died at 175 yrs, Isaac 180, Jacob was 147yrs(i think). If you cannot believe that, then you cannot make any sense of the entire book of Genesis, since specific ages for abraham are given at the time Isaac was born, 100 yrs, and then Isaac's age at the time Jacob was born can be calculated to 65 (he was 40 when he married Rebekah). So if you don't believe in the lineages given in the Genesis, you basicly don't believe anything at all in the book of Genesis, because the lineage is cross referenced several times later on in genesis.

For example, lets look at Rebekah.

When the Servant of Abraham asks her "who are you?"

She does something people don't reallly do much of these days, she tells him who her parents and grandparents are.

"I am the daughter of Bethuel, the son of Milcah, which she bare unto Nahor."

Translation:

Bethuel is her father

Milcah is her grandmother

Nahor is her grandfather (Abraham's brother, which is the second Nahor mentioned 11:26, 24:15).

So what all this means is when you look at the lineages in the first half of Genesis, the fact is they ARE a true and accurate account which is cross referenced in several other places both in the Genesis and in other books of the Bible.

Lcash

If you debate or otherwise try to minister to atheists and other evolutionists you will never convince them with a "blind faith" approach. Even the apostles and Jesus didn't do that. They had miraculous signs which proved that "something" was going on which only God could have done. In addition, for the most part, they were witnessing to people who already believe in God or at least believed in "a god" of some sort.

If you cannot prove to a skeptic that God exists, that there must be a creator, and that the creation story is true, then you certainly aren't going to be able to convince them to call on the name of Jesus, whom they also believe is just a myth.

How can you lead someone to ask God for forgiveness and salvation if they do not believe he exists?

You're just talking into the air.

So how many scientists have you converted with that logic? You are proving a point. You are making the belief in a literal creation account a litmus test of true Christianity and belief in scripture. I have read the plan of Salvation and no where in it does it say that we have to believe in a literal 24 hour day for creation. To some there is no room for disagreement with YOUR interpretation. I have heard this from Young earth creationists for years, a judgmental attitude against anyone who disagrees with their interpretation.

Lcash

for those of you thinking "morning and evening" supposedly clarifies that it was talking about a 24 hour day, WRONG. we have no clue what God's concept of time in comparison to our own was. and science gives plenty of indication that our days are NOT the same length that they always were. the moon was much further from earth and has taken millions of years to get to its current position. the further the distance it was, the faster the earth rotated, thus the length of days were considerably shorter.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  02/07/1988

The Bible is a soul saver, not a science saver.