• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

There are strong opinions among the Worthy posters. No matter which side of the discussion, most posters prove to have a well formed logic to their arguments. They usually can find Scriptures, historical arguments, or personal experiences to tout as proof of their opinions. I thought it might be interesting to explore what the greatest influences have been in the formation of your theology? ...your education, writers, denominational doctrine, great philosophers, personal Bible study, mentors, personal experiences, pastors, Sunday school teachers, church history, etc..

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

first Jesus, watchman nee.....my pastor, The hebrew/greek spiro.

A messianic Bible teacher. some rabbis.....Aimee simple mcpherson...r.w.shambach..ravenhill, gwen shaw, Jesse duplantis...charles stanley...the enemy. not necessarily in that order and many more...

Actually I had most of it down before I entered the churches.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Well, that is a good question! I was raised in a small church in a small town. I loved reading the Bible, and in those days there wasn't the wonderful access to study materials which we have available now on the internet. My mother loved to read and study, so she had many study books from various viewpoints. She said that unless you studied other points of view, how could you know what you believe. The more we studied, the more conservative we became in our beliefs. Since I have become an adult, my husband and I study Chuck Missler, Dr. Arnold Fruchtenbaum, commentaries from Calvary Chapel teachers, Hal Lindsey to name a few. Mostly, though, it is reading and studying God's word.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

There have been many;

Trinity Evangelical Divinity School

The Navigators

John Calvin

CS Lewis

GE Ladd

Wayne Grudem

Darrell Bock

Bruce Ware

Tom McComiskey

Martin Luther

• Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

There have been many.

Scripture of course. Dr. Del Tackett, some former pastors, Charles Stanley, Perry Stone, a former mentor, friends and many, many more.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Excellent question. :thumbsup:

Being raised in a Roman Catholic home and abandoning that belief system as a young man, I was very hard to reach with the TRUTH even though many tried and have never accepted anyone else's word or personal experiences. I had to see the truth for myself! My conversion and subsequent spiritual growth was a process over many years and has not slowed down yet. Regardless, my thinking and opinions have been influenced by many different sources, have followed an order and are open to changing as God directs knowing that I still have much to learn.

While I was still lost, I attended a Southern Baptist College out of convenience to finish my Bachelors degree. Part of the curriculum required me to take "religion" courses, which I did. So I am sure that some of what I studied rubbed off on me but to what extent I am unsure.

So what and who influenced my theology mostly?

For the most part, it was NOT my pastors or Sunday school or the religion courses I took in college although I am sure there was some influence.

It has been mostly through personal Bible Study over the years since I was born again. Shortly after my conversion, I read the Bible through a couple of times. I then began a lifelong study of it using various commentaries from Matthew Henry, Charles Swindoll and Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture from IVS press in that order always matching up what was being to taught to the Word in context. I have also read various books by C.S. Lewis and other Christian writers that made me think and come up with some new questions to seek answers to. I listen often to Walk in the Word with James Macdonald, a great speaker with sound doctrine who I first heard speak at a Precept Ministries convention. He is a great teacher but I find confirmation in my beliefs more that new ideas. Lastly, my experience has strengthened my beliefs but my beliefs are not based on them for the most part. Rather they are strengthened by them.

To summarize, the greatest influence on my theology has been and remains personal Bible Study using critical thinking skills...just like the Bereans. ;) I am of the firm opinion that a believer MUST study the Word of God as the Holy Spirit gives understanding. It is the only weapon we have to fight deception and find the one and only TRUTH...the "sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  01/27/1964

I'll agree with Wayne re: personal study of the Word. That's a given, at least in my life. After the Bible would probably come my father, then various pastors I have sat under. Some profs I had at Trinity, of course. But also the writings of Calvin and Luther, G. Campbell Morgan, among others. There's way to many mention without leaving some out.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Excellent question. :laugh:

Being raised in a Roman Catholic home and abandoning that belief system as a young man, I was very hard to reach with the TRUTH even though many tried and have never accepted anyone else's word or personal experiences. I had to see the truth for myself! My conversion and subsequent spiritual growth was a process over many years and has not slowed down yet. Regardless, my thinking and opinions have been influenced by many different sources, have followed an order and are open to changing as God directs knowing that I still have much to learn.

While I was still lost, I attended a Southern Baptist College out of convenience to finish my Bachelors degree. Part of the curriculum required me to take "religion" courses, which I did. So I am sure that some of what I studied rubbed off on me but to what extent I am unsure.

So what and who influenced my theology mostly?

For the most part, it was NOT my pastors or Sunday school or the religion courses I took in college although I am sure there was some influence.

It has been mostly through personal Bible Study over the years since I was born again. Shortly after my conversion, I read the Bible through a couple of times. I then began a lifelong study of it using various commentaries from Matthew Henry, Charles Swindoll and Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture from IVS press in that order always matching up what was being to taught to the Word in context. I have also read various books by C.S. Lewis and other Christian writers that made me think and come up with some new questions to seek answers to. I listen often to Walk in the Word with James Macdonald, a great speaker with sound doctrine who I first heard speak at a Precept Ministries convention. He is a great teacher but I find confirmation in my beliefs more that new ideas. Lastly, my experience has strengthened my beliefs but my beliefs are not based on them for the most part. Rather they are strengthened by them.

To summarize, the greatest influence on my theology has been and remains personal Bible Study using critical thinking skills...just like the Bereans. :thumbsup: I am of the firm opinion that a believer MUST study the Word of God as the Holy Spirit gives understanding. It is the only weapon we have to fight deception and find the one and only TRUTH...the "sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."

Ah :39: So you've been greatly influenced by the Holy Spirit - :wub:

(and it shows too, brother)

I began reading the Bible to prove it was wrong many months before coming to faith. I was obsessively trying to find fault with it so I paid very close attention. After hundreds of hours of study I could not unsee the truth in His Word.

That time was mostly spent reading the prophets to find where they made mistakes. Never found even one. This made me look to see what the "end of days" would be like. To my utter amazement the things which had to be in place....Israel being born in a day...the jewish people returning in such large numbers that they couldn't be housed....the gentiles coming to the light of Israel's rebirth....were all happening as of May 14th 1948 and still happening currently.

Isaiah 66

7 "Before she goes into labor,

she gives birth;

before the pains come upon her,

she delivers a son.

8 Who has ever heard of such a thing?

Who has ever seen such things?

Can a country be born in a day

or a nation be brought forth in a moment?

Yet no sooner is Zion in labor

than she gives birth to her children.

9 Do I bring to the moment of birth

and not give delivery?" says the LORD.

"Do I close up the womb

when I bring to delivery?" says your God.

10 "Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her,

all you who love her;

rejoice greatly with her,

all you who mourn over her.

11 For you will nurse and be satisfied

at her comforting breasts;

you will drink deeply

and delight in her overflowing abundance."

12 For this is what the LORD says:

"I will extend peace to her like a river,

and the wealth of nations like a flooding stream;

you will nurse and be carried on her arm

and dandled on her knees.

13 As a mother comforts her child,

so will I comfort you;

and you will be comforted over Jerusalem."

14 When you see this, your heart will rejoice

and you will flourish like grass;

the hand of the LORD will be made known to his servants,

but his fury will be shown to his foes.

15 See, the LORD is coming with fire,

and his chariots are like a whirlwind;

he will bring down his anger with fury,

and his rebuke with flames of fire.

16 For with fire and with his sword

the LORD will execute judgment upon all men,

and many will be those slain by the LORD.

17 "Those who consecrate and purify themselves to go into the gardens, following the one in the midst of [a] those who eat the flesh of pigs and rats and other abominable things

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Ah :39: So you've been greatly influenced by the Holy Spirit - :thumbsup:

:laugh: Exactly...as He and the Word go hand in hand. We cannot understand the Word of God without the Holy Spirit and we cannot know the Holy Spirit without the Word of God...as I understand God's Word.

When Jesus told His disciples to sell their cloaks and buy swords, they took him literally. [Luke 22:36] What He was telling them (I believe) was to arm themselves with the "sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God". They didn't get it until much later when the Holy Spirit came upon them AFTER Jesus had been glorifed.

(and it shows too, brother)

Praise God. :wub: