Pilgrim7

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

The Ten Commandments were called the 'Testimony of God', because He had spoken them directly to His people before writing them with His own finger.

Ex 31:18
And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai,
two tables of testimony
, tables of stone, written with the
finger of God

Deut 10:1
At that time the LORD said to me,
hew two tables of stone like the first,
and come up to me into the mount, and make an ark of wood.
10:2
And
I will write on the tables the words
that were in the
first tables which you broke,
and
you shall put them in the ark.
10:3
And I made an ark of shittim wood, and hewed two tables of stone like the first, and went up into the mount, having the two tables in mine hand.
10:4
And
He
(God)
wrote on the tables,
according to the first writing,
the Ten Commandments,
which the
LORD spoke
to you in the mount out of the
midst of the fire in the day of the assembly
:
and the LORD gave them to me.
10:5
And I turned myself and came down from the mount, and
put the tables in the ark
which I had made; and there they are, as the LORD commanded me.

Here we have God Himself according special significance to the 'Tables of Testimony' for they had a special purpose and function in His plan of 'saving His people' from sin. They were called the 'Words of the Covenant' between God and His people. Thus they were distinguished from the 'commandments, judgments and statutes' of the 'Book of Moses'.

The Ark was a symbol of the 'Throne of God', God dwelt above the Ark on the 'Mercy seat' from which He dispensed 'forgiveness' for the 'transgression of His Holy Law', which was in the Ark. When you look at the contents of the Ark, another study for another time, you see only three things contained therein, 'Aaron's rod that budded', the 'Pot of Manna' and the 'Tables of Testimony', all significant of the 'character' and 'person' of God. Aaron's Rod signifying the Work of the Spirit in giving Life to that which is dead, the 'Pot of Manna' representing Jesus the 'bread of Life', and 'God's Holy Law, representing His 'Justice'. All three, an integral part of the essence of God, which is 'Love'.

The 'Book of the Law', which was kept in a pocket outside the Ark, contained the 'commandments, statutes and judgments' which would govern their behavior and the way they approached God and received either forgiveness or judgment from Him.

Now a look at What God thinks about His Law:

Psa 19:7
The
law
of the LORD
is perfect
converting
the soul:
the
Testimony
of the LORD is
sure
making wise
the simple
(ignorant).
19:8
The
statutes
of the LORD are
right
, rejoicing the heart:
the
commandment
of the LORD is
pure
, enlightening the eyes.
19:9
The
fear
of the LORD is
clean
enduring for ever
:
the
judgments
of the LORD are
true
and
righteous
altogether.

Now lets see what the New Testament has to say:

Rom 7:12
Wherefore the
law is
holy
and the
commandment
holy
just
and
good

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now lets recap what God has told us about His Law, the Ten Commandments:

• First and most important is no works or obedience save one from their lost and sinful condition of hatred of God, never have and never will.
  • The 'Ten Commandments' point out or identify the main sins of the 'carnal, unsaved' man who is not subject to the law of God.
  • The 'Testimony', the 'Ten Commandments' have always been distinguished from the 'Laws of Moses', in the way they were given and in the way they were 'kept, stored', in the 'Ark of the Testimony'.
  • When one comes to Christ, he repents or turns from his sin, the breaking of God's Commandments.
  • Next, those who are saved from their disobedience or transgression, cease from breaking His law, for now they have 'awakened to righteousness' which includes obedience to God's 'Ten Commandments'.
  • God's laws, especially the 'Ten Commandments', are Spiritual, Holy, Just and Good.
  • Thus Spiritual, Holy, Just and Good men, those who have been recreated in the 'Image of God' would do that which is Spiritual, Holy, Just and Good.

When we understand the true function of the Law according to Scripture, then the words of Jesus make sense and don't need to be twisted or ignored to fit our theology.

Here are some of Jesus' teachings on the Law and He ought to know why He gave it:

Here Jesus connects the keeping and teaching of the Ten Commandments with

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  06/05/1967

The law, (ministration of death and condemnation, written and engraved in stone, by God's own finger) was to be temporary as shown by the glory that faded from Moses' face....It was ADDED later to show that we sin. But it was only supposed to last until the coming of that descendant who was given the promise.

Joh 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

2Co 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

2Co 3:7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not steadfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

2Co 3:8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

2Co 3:9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

2Co 3:10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.

2Co 3:11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

Gal 3:15 Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.

Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Gal 3:17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Joh 6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

Joh 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

Joh 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Nana,

Thank you for your reply. The changing of Covenants does not do away with the Ten Commandments that identify sin. The New Covenant writes God's laws in the heart, which would include the Ten Commandments which are part of the 'Two Great Commandments' and dependent on them .

The law, (ministration of death and condemnation, written and engraved in stone, by God's own finger) was to be temporary as shown by the glory that faded from Moses' face....It was ADDED later to show that we sin. But it was only supposed to last until the coming of that descendant who was given the promise.

Joh 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

The Law still ministers death to the transgressor. It will until Judgment Day. It still shows us if we sin, so that we can repent from that sin. Yes to 'love one another' is one of Jesus Commandments, but not the only one. There are 'two great Commandments' upon which all the others depend, are a part of. 'Loving one another' does not leave us free to ignore and transgress the others. The 'ministration of the Law' which was to condemn was to keep the people of God in line, away from sin, through fear, until Jesus would come and 'write God's Laws, thus Jesus' Laws' in the heart of the believer . Now He would would be 'kept from transgression' because he 'loved the will of God' for it was written in his heart. The result is better, thus the 'New Covenant' is a better Covenant for it results in righteousness, the doing of the will of God through love, which is always better than fear.

Here is what Scripture says of the New Covenant. Notice that what this Covenant does, and who this 'New Covenant was with, which is another study for another time:

Jer 31:31
Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that
I will make a
New Covenant
with the
house of Israel
, and with the house of Judah:

31:32
Not according to the
(old)
covenant
that I made with
their fathers
in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt;
which covenant
they broke
although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

31:33
But
this shall be the covenant
that
I will make
with the
house of Israel;
After those days, saith the LORD,
I will put
my law
(whose Laws? God's Laws)
in their
inward parts
and
write
it in their
hearts
(instead of Tables of stone)
;
and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

The New Testament quotes this verse twice:

Heb 8:6
But now has he obtained a
more excellent ministry,
by how much also he is the
mediator of a
better covenant
which was
established upon better promises
(in the New Covenant, it is God who promises to write His Laws in our heart, definitely better promises).

8:7
For
if
that
first covenant had been
faultless
then should
no place have been sought for the second.

8:8
For
finding fault with them
(not fault with the laws, but fault with the promises of the Old Covenant. In it the
people promised to obey
, but didn't),
he said, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when
I will make a new covenant
with the
house of Israel
and with the
house of Judah:

8:9
Not according
to the
covenant
that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt;
because they continued not in my covenant,
and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

8:10
For
this is the covenant
that
I will make
with the
house of Israel
after those days, saith the Lord;
I will put
my laws
into their mind
and
write them in their hearts :
and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Now just in case we didn't get it the first time, it is repeated:

Heb 10:15
Whereof the
Holy Ghost also is a witness to us:
for after that he had said before,

10:16
This is
the covenant
that
I will make with them
after those days, saith the Lord,
I will put my laws into their hearts,
and
in their minds will I write them;

Thus the 'New Covenant' doesn't do away with sin or the law, but just changes where the Law is written. When God's will is written within the heart of the 'believer' he delights to do God's will, for it has been written in His heart. Thus we have the 'New Creation' in which 'all old things' have passed away, and all has been made new. A 'christianity' that does not make one a 'New Creation', obedient to the 'will of God, and write God's laws in the heart of the 'believer' is not 'New Covenant Christianity'.

Gal 3:17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serves the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

What this says is that the 'Old Covenant' from Sinai did not annul the Covenant or promise made with Abraham. Abraham was saved by grace through faith just as all 'believers' have been saved from the 'beginning of sin'. The inheritance was never of the Law, for by the law was the definition of sin and will be until Judgment day. Thus we have Abraham, a 'sinner saved by grace through faith', who kept the will of God, as defined in His 'laws, statutes and judgments', 430 years before the 'Law was written in Tables of Stone.

Gen 26:4
And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give to your seed all these countries; and in your seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;

26:5
Because
Abraham
obeyed my voice
and
kept my charge,
my commandments
, my statutes, and
my laws

The 'saved believer', whether Jew or Gentile, is a 'New Creation', one who is in harmony with God and His will, and who keeps that will, whether expressed in Commandments or revelation, out of a heart that 'loves God with all the heart, mind, soul and strength' in loving obedience to God and loving service to His neighbor. Those who do those things will not violate any of God's will or laws. This is the Law of Christ, the minsitration of righteousness in His 'followers', who live the Law of Christ, which is anything He said, or did, for He was the 'living Law', our example of 'godly living', doing the will of God.

God Bless,

Dennis

Here we have some more things that Jesus said about the Law of God, the 'Ten Commandments'. Jesus knew the function of the Law, for it was His law also, for He is one with God and Had the Law written in His heart and kept it perfectly.

Here Jesus calls those who transgress His Ten Commandments hypocrites and says that their worship is in vain:

Mat 15:3
But he answered and said to them,
Why
do you also
transgress
the
Commandment
(one of the Ten Commandments of God, the fifth)
of God
(notice these are the Commandments of God, not Jewish commandments)
by your
(man-made)
tradition
?

15:4
For
God commanded,
saying,
honor your father and mother:
and, he that curses father or mother,
let him die the death.

15:5
But
you say
who ever shall say to his father or his mother,
It is a gift
(for God, instead of helping their parents with their money, they said it was a gift for God and thus they could not give it to their parents, thus breaking the 5th commandment by their man-made traditions and commandments),
by whatsoever you might be profited by me;

15:6
And
honor not
his father or his mother,
he shall be free
(from keeping the Commandment).
Thus you have
made
the
Commandment of God
of
none effect
by
your tradition
(human teaching).

15:7
You hypocrites,
well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,

15:8
This people
draws near to me with their mouth,
and
honors me with their lips;
but
their heart is far from me.

15:9
But
in vain
they do
worship me
teaching for doctrines
the
commandments of men

This is a general teaching about the 'Ten Commandments', using the 5th Commandment as an example. The same thing applies to all the Commandments. When one does away with, ignores or changes one of God's Commandments, He turns from the Commandments of God and to the Commandments of man. Thus Jesus, our Savior, says that makes him a hypocrite, one whose religion is primarily talk, and not heart religion which God requires, and thus even his 'worship is in vain'. Think what that is saying, here is a group of people praising and worshiping God, thinking that He is pleased with them and Jesus says that their worship and praise is in vain, or worthless.

Solomon puts it this way:

Pro 28:9
He that
turns away
his ear from
hearing the law
even
his prayer
shall be an
abomination

Here Jesus identifies a group of 'professing christians', who call Him Lord, but don't do the will of His Father in heaven which includes the 'Ten Commandments' as we have shown:

Mat 7:21
Not every one
that says to me,
Lord, Lord
(who calls themselves a christian, who claims to be a believer),
shall enter
into the
kingdom
of heaven;
but
(only)
he that
does
the
will
of my
Father
which is in heaven.

They have done many wonderful works in the 'Name of Christ', but have not kept the Commandments of His Father:

7:22
Many
will say to me
in that day
(Judgment Day),
Lord, Lord,
have we not
prophesied in your name
?
and
in your name
have
cast out devils
?
and
in your name
done many
wonderful works
?

Then Jesus tells them in the Judgment, to depart from Him, because they are really tares, and their works have not only been in vain, but he terms them 'workers of iniquity:

7:23
And then will I profess unto them,
I never knew you
:
depart from me
, you that
work iniquity

Now Jesus identifies the 'wheat', those who do what He says, including the 'Will of His Father', which we know has been revealed in the Scriptures, including the 'Ten Commandments'.

7:24
Therefore
whosoever
hears these
sayings of mine
and
does them
I will liken him unto a
wise man
which built his house upon a rock:

These are the teachings of Jesus, the Savior, the one who saves the 'true believer' from sin and transgression and empowers them to 'do the Will of His Father' in heaven. He knows His Father's will, for it is His will also, they do not have different agendas.

God Bless,

Dennis

With the importance which Jesus attaches to the 'law', the 'Ten Commandments', how could so many of His 'Professed followers', those who 'believe' in Him, who should believe what He said and and have the same attitude He had, have such a 'contrary view' of the 'Matters of God'. Scripture says that the 'born again' believer has the 'mind of Christ', thus He is to think like Christ, and what Jesus said is what He thought and knew as being one with His Father.

1co 2:14
But the
natural
(carnal, sinful, unsaved)
man
receives not
the
things
of the
Spirit of God
(things which are Spiritual, like the 'Ten Commandments' which are spiritual):
for they are
foolishness
to him:
neither can he know them, because they are
spiritually discerned

2:15
But he that is
spiritual Judges all things,
yet he himself is judged of no man.

2:16
For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But
we have the mind of Christ

Here Jesus reveals some more of His mind in the Gospel. Here Jesus says that the keeping of the Commandments is a necessary part of Salvation, even though they don

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  657
  • Birthday:  02/15/1959

Dennis, I really have learned more about the commandments of God from this teaching and you teach it so well. Thanks and if ya dont mind can i copy it and use it in a study group i have here at home? Thanks

Absolutely Yahsway.

I am currently assembling it into a booklet. If you like I could email you a copy when done. Just PM me if interested.

God Bless,

Dennis

More of the teachings of Jesus:

Now Jesus identifies the

Now we will look at what Paul has to say about the 'Ten Commandments'. He is the one who most quote to 'prove' that the Law has been done away with.

Here Paul refers to Judgment day:

Rom 2:5
But after
your
hardened
and
impenitent
heart
treasure up
to yourself
wrath
against the
day of wrath
and
revelation
of the
righteous judgment of God;

2:6
Who will
render to
every man
according to
his deeds:

Now Paul differentiates between the Wheat and Tares, the saved and the lost and the ultimate reward of each:

2:7
To those who by
patient continuance
in
well doing seek
(those who believe in and follow Jesus)
for glory and honor and
immortality,
eternal life
:

2:8
But to those that are
contentious
(self seeking, self willed, disobedient),
and
do not obey the
truth
(by patiently continuing in doing good),
but
obey unrighteousness
(disobedience to God's will, which is sin),
indignation and wrath,

2:9
Tribulation
and
anguish,
upon
every soul
of
man
that
does evil,
of the
Jew first
(who have the Law as a people),
and
also of the Gentile
(whether he be lost or believer who continues in sin unrepentant);

2:10
But
glory
honor
, and
peace
, to
every man
that
works good
to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile
(believer, convert):

Notice the distinction of God has not to do with ethnicity, but obedience to the will of God for God plays no favorites. He loves all the same, deals with all the same:

2:11
For there is
no respect of persons
with God.

Now he goes on to expand upon how all will be judged, whether Jew or Gentile believer or heathen:

2:12
For
as many
as have
sinned
without law shall also
perish without law
(for they are all condemned by that law):
and
as many
as have sinned
in the law
shall be
judged by the law
;

2:13
For
not
the
hearers
of the law
are
just before God,
but the
doers
of the law
shall be
justified
(Here Paul is not talking about initial justification which is for past transgressions, but ongoing and final justification of the 'faithful believer' who has come into obedience to the 'will of God'

Now Paul shows the result of 'initial justification' in the Gentile convert, who has been 'saved by grace through faith':

2:14
For when the
Gentiles
(converts)
which
have not the law
(were not raised in the law),
do by
nature
(for they have received the