Aleksander

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

I used to go with what ever translation the church I was in at the time was using but as more and more came into focus the "business" of Bibles and Christian literature began to grind on me with regars to it being a seemingly monetary business, more so that spreading the word of God. I began to see Bibles like Mars Bars, we have the original Mars Bar, the Mars Bar Pods, the Mars Bar Bites..... Etc, you get my point. A new way of marketing the same product for extra profit.

With the degree of change I also saw in doctrine within the church, the twisting of scripture from the pulpit to fit the direction of leadership and the twisting of scripture to gain greater authority over congegants, I began to ask questions and wanted the real answer.

I wanted to know why we did as we did not because it was always done that way or because the Pastor was being "led by the Spirit" to go in another direction.

So I started with wanting to know which is the Bible translation to use and I wanted to know the history behind which is the best translation to use. What I have personally found is that unless I learn Hebrew I am not going to get the same text exactly. Right from the time of the Council of Niece politics and the motives of church leadership has played a part in the Bible we have today in english, be it the 1611 translation or the translations of today.

One thing I ask God about often though is that of personality. I know God gave us all the ability to learn to read but some struggle with reading greatly, some love the theological in depth reading others find that very hard and I do wonder if even the children's story books are God breathed. I go through times where I read the Bible stories as children's books to my boys and I get the greatest revelation ever but then sometimes it is when I am in a deeply theological or philosophical frame of mind that I have revelation through the word.

At the end of the day to have absolute Biblical truth we'd need a time machine and or the ability to speak and understand the language of the day.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357

The problem with claiming the KJV to be the only perfectly preserved English translation is that it is not the first English translation and thus, is itself another in a list of English bible versions already in existence in the 1600s. There were other Entglish versions prior to the KJV. So, if we are going argue that it is the ONLY perfectly preserved English translation, it would beg the question as to why God allowed previous "corrupt" English translations before finally providing us with the perfect English translation of th KJV.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Here is the thing Richard. Those who support new translations basically claim one is as good as another. Those who are KJV only believe that it is the only reliable translation. That being the case, we should all be able to say that the KJV is a good and safe translation to use, as you already have. I know you are not KJV only, but my point is that if you are open to all translations, the KJV being one of them, then we should all easily be able to come to agreement by simply using the one translation we all agree is reliable, the KJV.

I do fully understand and can appreciate the point you are making. There was a time when I owned a copy of almost every translation that was available unto me. Since that time, I may have perhaps done a little research into the matter. Believe me when I say that I speak from a perhaps somewhat 'knowledgeable' position in this.

We could continue along this line and go into mere *translational* textual issues til we were both blue in the face. I am unwilling to go there, for it will indeed be unprofitable for everyone. I will not enter into *translational* textual issues. I am willing though to delve into *codex/manuscript* textual issues with you in another thread.

At this point: I will concede the matter between you and I here. Following this, I will make my final statement between you and I, and you may present your final arguments/statement. I will refrain from response to your closing argument/statement between you and I.

And here is the conclusion of the matter: Ultimately it is Aleksander's choice as to what 'flavour(s)' he should choose to use. I for one will support him in that choice. Will you?

I used to go with what ever translation the church I was in at the time was using but as more and more came into focus the "business" of Bibles and Christian literature began to grind on me with regars to it being a seemingly monetary business, more so that spreading the word of God. I began to see Bibles like Mars Bars, we have the original Mars Bar, the Mars Bar Pods, the Mars Bar Bites..... Etc, you get my point. A new way of marketing the same product for extra profit.

With the degree of change I also saw in doctrine within the church, the twisting of scripture from the pulpit to fit the direction of leadership and the twisting of scripture to gain greater authority over congegants, I began to ask questions and wanted the real answer.

I wanted to know why we did as we did not because it was always done that way or because the Pastor was being "led by the Spirit" to go in another direction.

So I started with wanting to know which is the Bible translation to use and I wanted to know the history behind which is the best translation to use. What I have personally found is that unless I learn Hebrew I am not going to get the same text exactly. Right from the time of the Council of Niece politics and the motives of church leadership has played a part in the Bible we have today in english, be it the 1611 translation or the translations of today.

One thing I ask God about often though is that of personality. I know God gave us all the ability to learn to read but some struggle with reading greatly, some love the theological in depth reading others find that very hard and I do wonder if even the children's story books are God breathed. I go through times where I read the Bible stories as children's books to my boys and I get the greatest revelation ever but then sometimes it is when I am in a deeply theological or philosophical frame of mind that I have revelation through the word.

At the end of the day to have absolute Biblical truth we'd need a time machine and or the ability to speak and understand the language of the day.

Well said GymRose, well said...

You are correct, some do struggle with reading and for them, it is best they read whichever 'flavour' is easiest for them to digest.

I also reached the point in which I increased my depth of learning to be inclusive of the language. However, we are not all called to do that.

May you be richly blessed GymRose.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

You are correct, some do struggle with reading and for them, it is best they read whichever 'flavour' is easiest for them to digest.

I also reached the point in which I increased my depth of learning to be inclusive of the language. However, we are not all called to do that.

I don't know about you Richard, you sound simillar to me, like you like to pull everything apart so to speak to have complete understanding. Sometimes I believe it is those who are not theological or analytical that are more blessed in some ways because even Jesus spoke of having faith like a child and the simplicity of a Child's Bible is sometimes so refreshing, it is the basics of basics of the stories and beliefs.

I was even told once as a young Christian to get hold of some Biblical children's books before getting really stuck into the Bible itself because they formed the bases of faith in such a simplistic way.... They themselves are like a translation. Just remembered that as I was writting.

You are correct, to want to study language has to be inspired I think because without a desire it would be too hard as an adult, I'm yet to start and yet I've had the desire for some time. It's to know where to start in amongst family, running a business with Hubby, renovations and Genealogy. LOL

The main thing is understanding who God is and who you are in Him beause He is God. Man has had a hand in every Bible translation therefore there would be different views and motives in all.

See The Wonder - The Word Of God

World English Bible

For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

American King James Version

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

American Standard Version

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Bible in Basic English

For God had such love for the world that he gave his only Son, so that whoever has faith in him may not come to destruction but have eternal life.

Douay-Rheims Bible

For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting.

Darby Bible Translation

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whosoever believes on him may not perish, but have life eternal.

English Revised Version

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

GOD'S WORD

I don't know about you Richard, you sound simillar to me, like you like to pull everything apart so to speak to have complete understanding. Sometimes I believe it is those who are not theological or analytical that are more blessed in some ways because even Jesus spoke of having faith like a child and the simplicity of a Child's Bible is sometimes so refreshing, it is the basics of basics of the stories and beliefs.

I do have to admit, I tend to like to take things apart to see what makes 'em tick. However, I receive greater enjoyment from learning to be able to put all pieces back together.

I fully agree with you, to have that simple faith is a beautiful thing. I once admonished a man for chastising another who had that very simple and beautiful faith. In the end though, I think the two need each other, there is a symbiotic relationship between them. Those with a theological/analytical nature need the gentle reminder that those who have the simple beautiful faith have to offer/give. In turn, those with that simple beautiful faith, need those of the theological/analytical nature to help them as well.

The main thing is understanding who God is and who you are in Him beause He is God..

Amen.

Man has had a hand in every Bible translation therefore there would be different views and motives in all.

To the credit of many, there are many good translations out there. Yet, as I have said so many times, in reading each different one, you will notice a distinct 'flavour'. While I know some may possibly take offense at this: One could almost liken it to the tasting of *fine* wines. Even though they are all 'Cabs', they each have their own unique and distinctive flavour. That does not make one necessarily better than any other, for it becomes a matter of personal preference.

See The Wonder - The Word Of God

O What Riches!

Amen brother FresnoJoe, Amen.

Let me give you one of the most glaring examples of something wrong with a new translation.

Butero my brother,

Let's not go here within this thread, I ask you this from the bottom of my heart. If you would like to delve into codex/manuscript textual issues, I would be more than happy to join you in it. But let's not go into *translational* textual issues here.

Shavua tov,

Richard

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

GymRose,

When you read the Children's Bible to your kids and a revelation comes to you, I believe that it is the Holy Spirit teaching you. He is able to use everything to teach us what God would have us to learn. Yes, even as little children!

God Bless,

Alan