OneLight

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I have been thinking about the differences in the office of a Prophet, as in the OT, and the Gift of Prophecy, NT. I'm interested to hear what others think the differences are, if you think there is any at all. I have my beliefs, but I want to hear what you all have to say.

Thanks,

In Him,

Alan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

well I'm not really sure what the differences would be if there are differences

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Good question! I'm not really sure what I think -- I hadn't really given this much thought. I found an article that -- well -- I'm not sure I agree with 100%, but it does give some ideas:

http://www.gotquestions.org/prophets-today.html

I'm going to have to ponder on this a while, and read what others have to say.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

I have been thinking about the differences in the office of a Prophet, as in the OT, and the Gift of Prophecy, NT. I'm interested to hear what others think the differences are, if you think there is any at all. I have my beliefs, but I want to hear what you all have to say.

In the OT, there were many and they usually stood out from amoung the crowd. Under the New Covenant, He has said:

Joel 2:28-29

And afterward,

I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh.

Your sons and daughters will prophesy,

your old men will dream dreams,

your young men will see visions.

Even on my servants, both men and women,

I will pour out my Spirit in those days.

Acts 15:32 Judas and Silas, who themselves were prophets, said much to encourage and strengthen the brothers.

1 Cor 12:10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy...

1 Cor 14:1 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.

1 Cor 14:29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 30 And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. 31 For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. 32 The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets.

Eph 4:11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

Acts 21:10 After we had been there a number of days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. 11 Coming over to us, he took Paul's belt, tied his own hands and feet with it and said, The Holy Spirit says, In this way the Jews of Jerusalem will bind the owner of this belt and will hand him over to the Gentiles.

12 When we heard this, we and the people there pleaded with Paul not to go up to Jerusalem. 13 Then Paul answered,

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

In the OT, there were many and they usually stood out from amoung the crowd. Under the New Covenant, he has said:

And afterward,

I will pour out my Spirit on all people.

Acts 15:32 Judas and Silas, who themselves were prophets, said much to encourage and strengthen the brothers.

1 Cor 14:1 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.

1 Cor 14:29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 30 And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. 31 For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. 32 The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets.

Eph 4:11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare God

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

In the OT, there were many and they usually stood out from amoung the crowd. Under the New Covenant, He has said:

And afterward,

I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh.

Eph 4:11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

Acts 21:10 After we had been there a number of days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. 11 Coming over to us, he took Paul's belt, tied his own hands and feet with it and said, The Holy Spirit says, In this way the Jews of Jerusalem will bind the owner of this belt and will hand him over to the Gentiles.

12 When we heard this, we and the people there pleaded with Paul not to go up to Jerusalem. 13 Then Paul answered,

In the OT, there were many and they usually stood out from amoung the crowd. Under the New Covenant, he has said:

And afterward,

I will pour out my Spirit on all people.

Eph 4:11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare God

Yes, but what is your take on 1 Corinthians 12 where Paul states the following.

There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

He does indeed pour His Spirit upon all flesh, but not all will have the same gift. Are Prophets the same as in the OT? Are the messages going to be the same, including the proclamation of His coming?

My dear brother Alan,

I have nothing left to give this night... please see my reply to Jackie and if you have further questions, I will answer if I may on the morrow...

You are dearly loved my brother...

In His love,

Richard

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

:emot-fail: I know that I answer this in another post. A prophet literally is given Gods mind and abide in revelation. I believe the office of a prophet in standing with the fivefold ministry is a direct office held in the old testament prophets. Haveing no distinction between the two. Then prophesying is the giving of a word divinely inspired and it could me any person who is hearing from God within the congregation or large groups of persons, this grace granted to all who come to the Lord due to the helper, The holy spirit at the day of pentecost.

To give prophecy does not mean you are a prophet. But a prophet remained a prophet his most of his life... Maybe I can make this plainer tomorrow after I have had some sleep and emotional rest... Sorry Lord for me trying at this when its so late. Sorry guys!

Maybe I can make this plainer tomorrow after I have had some sleep and emotional rest... Sorry Lord for me trying at this when its so late. Sorry guys!

:emot-fail: