IGNORED

Mark 16- Should there be believers drinking any deadly thing?

jeffnevins

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

But the story shows how that while in the service of the Lord then nothing deadly can hurt us. And if someone wants to give us something poison to drink in order to get rid of us then faith in God and faithfulness to the Lord's work can prevent it from hurting us. But these verses are grossly misunderstood and interpreted.

OC

tell that to the missionaries that have died while "servicing."

and yes there have been people that have died while delivering the gospel.

Yes,

Nothing deadly can hurt us unless God allows it for His own purposes. The bottom line is that we can rest in God's providential care, because even if we lose this life, we gain eternity

thats not what the scripture says. the scripture is an assurance.

Mark:

17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

what youre doing is creating a window of a "just in case you do get hurt then it was meant to be."

dont make an excuse for the scripture.

as i've said this scripture was true but now it doesnt apply.

will GOd protect you? yes He will.

If i snuck poison in your drink and hid behind a bush to see if it would affect you; you can be sure it would.

actually there was a lemonade incident. religious retreat like that that i'm sure youve heard of.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  498
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/25/1949

My guess is no. Arsenic anyone? But the end of Mark, as some are sure to know:

17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Maybe its metaphor. We're supposed to have great faith, and can move mountains. But not physically move a mountain.

I imagine people have drunk things & died for not understanding the verse right. But a few can speak in tongues, heal, handle snakes, & cast out devils.

Anyway, thanks.

THIS SCRIPTURE IS VALID NOW.

drinking deadly things BY CHOICE would be idiotic and GOD hasn't given a silly spirit,but HIS HOLY SPIRIT....The Lord is talking of supernatural PROTECTION when we are engaged in HIS SERVICE and GIFTS to BUILD UP and EDIFY THE BODY of CHRIST not for our own gain,or so that we play holier than thou....

The FACT that JESUS is GOD'S GIFT to US shouldn't be understimated NEVER...and THE HOLY SPIRIT is THE FATHER'S and THE SON'S GIFT to THE BELIEVERS not to THE DOUBTERS ....

So I really wouldn't worry about all this"philosophers" and "doctors of nothing" that want to limit God Power....HE IS ABBASOLUTELY EL-SHADDAI TODAY as EVER

SHALOM

Here we also see another curious thing, in this list, Paul lists the Gifts and Callings in order of importance:

First Apostles

Second Prophets

Third Teachers(presumably encompassing "evangelist, pastor, teacher")

after that Miracles

then Gifts of healings

heres a simple questina and i hope to get a simple answer.

who on earth, TODAY, is an apostle?

and please don't say that we're all apostles.

• Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  705
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  11/23/1958

Aside from the possibility that this section was not a part of the original text, just because God will rescue believers from certain things, does not mean they should do those things to test God's promise. Consider Jesus' temptation by Satan in the desert. In Psalm 91, God had promised to protect those who love Him by saying this:

For He will give His angels orders concerning you, to protect you in all your ways. They will support you with their hands so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

Psalm 91:11-12

Satan quoted this to Jesus in Matthew 4 and encouraged Him to jump off the temple to fulfill the verse. Here was Jesus' response:

Jesus told him, "It is also written: Do not test the Lord your God."

Matthew 4:7

The principle is that God will certainly protect us as we serve Him. But we are not to seek out situations to test God's promise

:blink::41::41: I agree Eric

There are apostles today, you just don't realize it because most of them don't go around running their mouth and saying, "Hey, I'm an apostle".

But of course you do not believe in Gifts of the Spirit or "touch and heal" miracle healings, so I can see how you would have trouble believing that the Lord has never changed his methods of ministry.

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever."

Many people on this forum have eye witnessed indesputable "touch and heal" miracles, and other Gifts of the Spirit, and they are christians. Do you want to sit there and tell us all that we are delusional?

Scripture shows that the Gifts of the Spirit continue right up to the end of the Tribulation period, so why is it that you have so much trouble believing this?

i never said all gifts of the spirit are not valid. i was criticizing the verses in Mark. i never extended my conversation out of that chapter.

Hey if you and EricH believe there are apostles on earth then more power to you two.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

My guess is no. Arsenic anyone? But the end of Mark, as some are sure to know:

Maybe its metaphor. We're supposed to have great faith, and can move mountains. But not physically move a mountain.

I imagine people have drunk things & died for not understanding the verse right. But a few can speak in tongues, heal, handle snakes, & cast out devils.

Anyway, thanks.

Everything Jesus said is an absolute. This particular scripture is no metaphor. The Lord does not want anyone to go around drinking deadly things just to prove they won't hurt us!!! However, he did give us protection when He sends us out into hard places. Look at the snake that bit Paul as he was sitting by the fire. Paul didn't go looking for the snake...the snake came at him and Paul shook it off knowing it would not harm him. I know it was not a drink...but it was a most venemous snake that would have killed most people immediately. Paul knew that until the Lord was finished with him he wasn't going anywhere! And those who saw what happened wanted to know why. (Now,we can read what happened with Paul, and know what Jesus said was no metaphor :-) and we can keep our swords sharp with it when we encounter those sudden attacks. )

And this scripture below rightly devides doing foolish things just to prove you have power over them.

Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, 6 and said to Him,