• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? 2 Peter 3:12NKJV

It seems by reading this verse that the God's timing can be hastened or stalled. What do you interpret from this verse?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

While we cannot know the day or time of the Lord's return, He nevertheless told us to discern the time as we discern the coming of the seasons. Two things are essentially required for the Lord's return: The increase of sin and the influence of the Satanic realm, and the preparation of the Bride of Christ, which is the church. On our side, as the church, we must continually gain more of Christ, to be built into Him, to be blent with one another, and to be built together with one another, so that the Bride can be built, prepared and ready for the return of the Bridegroom. On the other side, that is, the negatigve side, the declining condition of the world situation will press the saints in the church more into the Bride, and thus will hasten the end of this age.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  700
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  12/11/1977

We need to look at the surrounding verses

9The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is long-suffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

11Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

12Looking for and hasting(hastening)unto the coming day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? (KJV)

Also it should be pointed out that this passage

is talking about the return of Christ for Judgement not the "rapture".

So maybe the hastening is to win as many souls as quickly as possible to the kingdom to speed up the great tribulation.

looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? 2 Peter 3:12NKJV

It seems by reading this verse that the God's timing can be hastened or stalled. What do you interpret from this verse?

Things aren't always as they "seem".

2 Peter 3

14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless;

15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation....

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  170
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Good question, DdavidfromNC.

Jesus said that the Kingdom of Heaven is within us. We certainly can hasten or slow the process by which the Kingdom of Heaven is established within us.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

Looking at the greek will also aid in our understanding of 2 Peter 3:12. What some versions have interpreted as hasten is misleading because to hasten something means something different now than when the KJV for example was initially translated. the greek word "spuedo" actually has more of a nuance of "earnestly desiring" That is why the CSB translated it as:

as you wait for and earnestly desire the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be on fire and be dissolved, and the elements will melt with the heat.

2 Peter 3:12 HCSB

That was also the spirit of what "to hasten" meant when the KJV translators chose that word. people hasten it in that they so desire it that they wish it would come quicker.

So this passage does not teach that we can make Jesus return more quickly

Looking at the greek will also aid in our understanding of 2 Peter 3:12. What some versions have interpreted as hasten is misleading because to hasten something means something different now than when the KJV for example was initially translated. the greek word "spuedo" actually has more of a nuance of "earnestly desiring" That is why the CSB translated it as:

as you wait for and earnestly desire the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be on fire and be dissolved, and the elements will melt with the heat.

2 Peter 3:12 HCSB

That was also the spirit of what "to hasten" meant when the KJV translators chose that word. people hasten it in that they so desire it that they wish it would come quicker.

So this passage does not teach that we can make Jesus return more quickly

Thanks for the input Eric, stole my thunder

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

I agree with the points made by many within this thread. If I may, I would like to offer/introduce this in support:

I have looked over the 6 occurrences within the NT and considering these compared them unto how speudo was used within the LXX. It may perhaps offer us further understanding/insight as to it's usage/intent:

In 2 Peter 3:12 it is speudontas.

In Esther 8:14 we find the closest match in conjugation: speudontes. The Hebrew here is mevohalim [H926] binyan Pual; pres. masc. pl.. The Pual stem is a passive / resultive conjugation and in this case would equate unto 'to hasten'. It is however a hastening that is based upon being disturbed/alarmed/fear.

In Ezekiel 30:9 we have an occurrence of speudontes as well. The LXX here reads along the lines of "'to hasten' disappearance/destruction". Based upon the usage of speudontes as we saw in Esther, this equates unto the Hebrew lehakharid [H2729]. Binyan Hiphil; Infinitive. The hiphil stem is 'causative'. In Ezekiel here, it would be along the lines of 'to startle'. Again though, we have a fear based type of hastening.

The difference between speudontas and speudontes is that one is accusative, present tense [2 Peter] and one is nominative, aorist [Esther/Ezekiel]. Aside from that, they are both masculine plural active participles.

We also find speudo within Genesis 18:6; 19:22; 24:18; 24:20 and Isaiah 16:5, carrying the implication of 'haste/hurry/hurried'.

To sum up: Pseudontas as found in 2 Peter 3:12 denotes a 'hastening in fear/trembling'.

I agree with EricH, with regard to 'earnestly desire' here. I would simply add that it also may carry a connotation of trepidation in looking forward unto the great and terrible day of the Lord.

In His love,

Richard

I agree with the points made by many within this thread. If I may, I would like to offer/introduce this in support:

I have looked over the 6 occurrences within the NT and considering these compared them unto how speudo was used within the LXX. It may perhaps offer us further understanding/insight as to it's usage/intent:

In 2 Peter 3:12 it is speudontas.

In Esther 8:14 we find the closest match in conjugation: speudontes. The Hebrew here is mevohalim [H926] binyan Pual; pres. masc. pl.. The Pual stem is a passive / resultive conjugation and in this case would equate unto 'to hasten'. It is however a hastening that is based upon being disturbed/alarmed/fear.

In Ezekiel 30:9 we have an occurrence of speudontes as well. The LXX here reads along the lines of "'to hasten' disappearance/destruction". Based upon the usage of speudontes as we saw in Esther, this equates unto the Hebrew lehakharid [H2729]. Binyan Hiphil; Infinitive. The hiphil stem is 'causative'. In Ezekiel here, it would be along the lines of 'to startle'. Again though, we have a fear based type of hastening.

The difference between speudontas and speudontes is that one is accusative, present tense [2 Peter] and one is nominative, aorist [Esther/Ezekiel]. Aside from that, they are both masculine plural active participles.

We also find speudo within Genesis 18:6; 19:22; 24:18; 24:20 and Isaiah 16:5, carrying the implication of 'haste/hurry/hurried'.

To sum up: Pseudontas as found in 2 Peter 3:12 denotes a 'hastening in fear/trembling'.

I agree with EricH, with regard to 'earnestly desire' here. I would simply add that it also may carry a connotation of trepidation in looking forward unto the great and terrible day of the Lord.

In His love,

Richard

Thank you for your scholarship

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

I most definitely agree with EricH and the scholarly one :taped:

Don't you wish He was here already or you were home sometimes? I know I do!!! And yet i bear the longsuffering as everyone else does for the sake of our brothers and sisters who are still lost and the more perfectting of the saints! :blink: