tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

But I'm speaking of the specifics of repentance. You cannot present the gospel and hope for the conversion of a person without repentance?

For me, that was what was lacking in my false conversion. I walked many years believing I was "a Christian", even though I lived the most pagan life, and did not follow Jesus nor allow Him to be the LORD of my life. I did not know Him, and I did not belong to Him, even though I would drop His Name believing I was being spiritual. I was that worker of iniquity, mentioned in Matthew 7. I walked in darkness, yet tried to claim that I was of light. I have since been redeemed. I now truly follow Jesus and I truly WANT TO KNOW what He has to say to me, and how to obey Him. But, this only came through the revelation of my sin, and the glory of His Salvation.

Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' 24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." 28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.

For me, the message of repentance was VITAL.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

When ever God draws me to another, rarely do I know why. I go in faith. During the conversation, He shows me what is important and what is not. To me, that is the starting point of my witness. As we continue, He shows me more. In the end, what usually happens is that I have touched that persons life with my past experiences, helping them feel comfortable with me and I become acceptable to them. Somewhere in the conversation, my conversion was mentioned as the pivot point in my life. Not always do I use scripture, and to be truthful, rarely do I use scripture. The example of what Jesus did for me plants the seed. It is not always quotes, but the words are the same. Basically, it goes something like this: I lived in sin ... I was lost ... I hated my life ... I sought a better way ... I prayed to God for help ... I asked Him to forgive my sins ... I felt a great burden removed and hope enter into my life. If He gives me a scripture, I use it. Otherwise, He reminds me of exactly where I was and the feeling I had at that time so I could express them in truth. It is the truth that people can feel in a testimony. When someone is lying, you know it ... when they are exaggerating, you know it ... when it is the truth, you know it. The Spirit works convicting them as they relate to the experiences that I am describing. To me, there is no steps 1, 2, 3 in witnessing.

In Him,

Alan

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

But I'm speaking of the specifics of repentance. You cannot present the gospel and hope for the conversion of a person without repentance?

For me, that was what was lacking in my false conversion. I walked many years believing I was "a Christian", even though I lived the most pagan life, and did not follow Jesus nor allow Him to be the LORD of my life. I did not know Him, and I did not belong to Him, even though I would drop His Name believing I was being spiritual. I was that worker of iniquity, mentioned in Matthew 7. I walked in darkness, yet tried to claim that I was of light. I have since been redeemed. I now truly follow Jesus and I truly WANT TO KNOW what He has to say to me, and how to obey Him. But, this only came through the revelation of my sin, and the glory of His Salvation.

Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' 24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." 28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Yes a false easy belief is not faith, and like you I was probably in that state a good portion of my life. But I don't think witnessing necessarily convinced me of that, so in my case repentance came about through two things, the Gospel as presented in scripture that I read myself and was struck by; and secondly looking at my life and comparing it to people who I knew were indeed living the truth. But I don't think there is a formula like I said earlier as long as the Gospel is spread.

But really why believe in Christ if you don't think you need Him? What I mean is that if one does not feel the weight of their sins, then why would they feel the need for forgiveness and repentance? I guess it all comes down to how we do this. What I mean is I honestly don

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

Suzanne...No one ever witnessed to me at all...and I am saved....The conviction of the Holy Spirit was good enough for me alone. In a matter of fact I am glad. I am not sure at nineteen I wanted anybody telling me how to live and how to do it.

The foundation basis does not change. Christ crucified for the sins of man and rose again. But it is not always the letter of the law that witnesses.

As one light states as you are talking to someone the Holy Spirit should be showing or telling you things that only God and that person knows as a confirmation it has to be GOD!!!!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

you say nothing about false faith in your title. It is not up to me to worry about it. I do as God says...led by the Holy Spirit and the rest is up to God.

Who knows ...I may just witness because God requires their life tomorrow and they need to hear the word and make a decision. If they end up in Hell It is not my problem it is their own choice.

One cannot teach someone to repent...it is done as a natural part of our walks... should be...if need be

you say nothing about false faith in your title. It is not up to me to worry about it. I do as God says...led by the Holy Spirit and the rest is up to God.

Who knows ...I may just witness because God requires their life tomorrow and they need to hear the word and make a decision. If they end up in Hell It is not my problem it is their own choice.

One cannot teach someone to repent...it is done as a natural part of our walks... should be...if need be

I never said we could teach someone to repent. I was merely saying that repentance was included in the witness of Jesus AND the disciples, so maybe we need to be mindful of that example.

In His Love,

Suzanne

In His Love,

Suzanne

Yes a false easy belief is not faith, and like you I was probably in that state a good portion of my life. But I don't think witnessing necessarily convinced me of that, so in my case repentance came about through two things, the Gospel as presented in scripture that I read myself and was struck by; and secondly looking at my life and comparing it to people who I knew were indeed living the truth. But I don't think there is a formula like I said earlier as long as the Gospel is spread.

But really why believe in Christ if you don't think you need Him? What I mean is that if one does not feel the weight of their sins, then why would they feel the need for forgiveness and repentance? I guess it all comes down to how we do this. What I mean is I honestly don

Guest shiloh357
But how often do we use these verses, written to Timothy, by Paul, about his ministerial duties?

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Shalom Alan,

Not the point and actually a Straw Man fallacy! :huh: The point is, the letters to Timothy are TO Timothy, about how to be a church leader. They do not apply to all Christians in how to witness. It's not even ABOUT witnessing so to use it to make a doctrinal stand about witnessing is not correct.

Well, as you say, we don't always agree. :noidea:

Actually, from the standpoint of basic commonsense hermeneutics, Vickilynn is correct. We will never know the Bible "good enough" to witness. None of us will ever have the answer to every objection that unbelievers raise, we cannot answer every question they pose. All we can do is give them plan of salvation and live our lives as Christians in a manner that brings honor to Christ. That is al we are responsible for with respect to sharing the gospel with unbelievers. What they do with the gospel then becomes their responsibility. I am not responsible for their response, only that they receive the message.

If we have to wait to witness until we measure up to the what Paul said to Timothy, no witnessing would ever get done.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

But how often do we use these verses, written to Timothy, by Paul, about his ministerial duties?

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Shalom Alan,

Not the point and actually a Straw Man fallacy! :huh: The point is, the letters to Timothy are TO Timothy, about how to be a church leader. They do not apply to all Christians in how to witness. It's not even ABOUT witnessing so to use it to make a doctrinal stand about witnessing is not correct.

Well, as you say, we don't always agree. :noidea:

Actually, from the standpoint of basic commonsense hermeneutics, Vickilynn is correct. We will never know the Bible "good enough" to witness. None of us will ever have the answer to every objection that unbelievers raise, we cannot answer every question they pose. All we can do is give them plan of salvation and live our lives as Christians in a manner that brings honor to Christ. That is al we are responsible for with respect to sharing the gospel with unbelievers. What they do with the gospel then becomes their responsibility. I am not responsible for their response, only that they receive the message.

If we have to wait to witness until we measure up to the what Paul said to Timothy, no witnessing would ever get done.

If the only way that we witness is by words, then you may have a good point. We have to remember that the first witness that we do are our actions, how we live our lives. Many times, people will watch us for awhile before they talk to us, excluding the stranger we are led to. They notice us in our daily lives, whether at work, in the streets, at meetings and so on. They do know that there is a difference.

As for the stranger, for me, I am led to people who are hurting, so the conversation is about the pain they are in. In another post of mine, I gave an example of how witnessing normally goes for me. God knows that I have trouble remembering words. He also knows that I have given myself over to Him, and as the Holy Spirit teaches me in study, I bow to the changing of my life as God changes my heart. My life is my witness more then my tongue.

As for the above quotes, I hold to the belief that all scripture is for today and not just for those whom they were spoken/written to. We may not be applying them the same way, but they do give instruction as to how we are to walk. The letters to Timothy were written for the setting up of church leaders, but are we not all priests in His eyes?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

In His Love,

Suzanne