IGNORED

Scientific Atheist, Who the heck was Jesus?

Guest mscoville

Guest mscoville

Scientific Atheists (yes plural)

Who was Jesus? A good teacher? Did he rise from the Dead? Why did the Apostles travel the world as beggers and die for his name? I'm interested in your treatis, I'm sure it will be lengthy. This should show us where your heart is, and its color. God Bless you, I'm praying for you.

~ Martin Scoville

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/24/1981

Who was Jesus?

He was a leader of a messaniac judeic cult who probably lived around 2000 years ago.

A good teacher?

He certainly was that, and it would seem, a charasmatic leader.

Did he rise from the Dead?

Almost certainly not.

Why did the Apostles travel the world as beggers and die for his name?

Mad people do mad things, and weird people do weird things, don't they? Also, there are non-religious causes that men will die for - perhaps they were seeking to erode the powerbase of the Jewish authorities by preaching a personal messanaic religion.

Fact is though, with such limited evidence outside their own accounts, we'll probably never know for sure. Indeed, some people arn't even convinced that he existed at all, although I think this is a bit conspiracy theory-ish, but hey, I've never looked into their arguments properly.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/24/1981

btw. the fact that I've given an answer here should not be interpretted as a sign that I really am here to erode the faith of the faithful. I got asked some questions, I naturally answered. Notice and note that I did not start this discussion, nor is my primary purpose on these boards to have such discussions. Everyone knows already that I am an atheist, and therefore must know that I will have views contrary to Christianity like the ones I've expressed above.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  53
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

He was a leader of a messaniac judeic cult who probably lived around 2000 years ago

Judeic? perhaps to a minimal, but remember Jesus also denounced most of what had become tradition for the judeic lifestyle. Also instead of refering to it as a religion you used cult...any specific reason?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Scientific Athiest:

Yes, people do die for strange reasons - Islamic fundamentalists die believing they'll be in heaven with 12 virgins if they become suicide bombers. They are brainwashed.

However, in reading the scriptures, you'll get a different portrait of the apostles before and after the resurrection. Before the resurrection, they were full of doubt and questions. They lacked faith, despite the fact that they were witnessing miracles. Peter even denied Christ three separate times before the resurrection. It wasn't until after the resurrection that they became truly mighty warriors for Christ preaching and teaching fervently, at the cost of being jailed - some more than once, at the cost of being ridiculed and ultimately - death - torture and painful death to each of the apostles. It had everything to do with what they witnessed. They refused to renounce Jesus as Messiah - Not because of what they were taught - because of what they had seen.

Guest faithless
Yes, people do die for strange reasons - Islamic fundamentalists die believing they'll be in heaven with 12 virgins if they become suicide bombers. They are brainwashed.

They are just as brainwahsed as Christians, in my opinion.

• Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

I guess you failed to see the difference as to how these men changed. Before Christ died, these men were full of question and doubt. In reading the scriptures, it's easy to see. Then Jesus died. Since you likely don't believe in the resurrection, who brainwashed them and how?

I agree Muslims are brainwashed. They chant things over and over and over. They are called to pray at certain times of the day and are regulated strictly in Muslim countries. In fact, you can be killed if you don't follow ordinances. I know a Christian who was witnessing to a Muslim. When the Christian started to stump this man, he began to go into a trance, chanting to himself. I agree that some Muslims are indeed brainwashed.

Now, I am interested in why you think Christians are brainwashed? What's your definition of brainwash?

• Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

I really beleive that one issue when talking about Jesus, is His fulfillment of phrophecies. I challenge anyone to name one person in history that has fulfilled prophecy like Jesus. If you take a serious and open minded veiw of the phrophecies, it should, at the very least, open the door to the fact that there is more to this world than birth, life and death. And that fact is the hereafter, through Jesus....

Jesus was Gods answer to restoring mans authority through Jesus, lost by adam....:P

Guest Marc

Scientific atheist:

Did he rise from the Dead?

Almost certainly not.

If you call yourself "scientific" you should have a way to demonstrate why you beleive this to be so.

How can you claim He did not? Were you there?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  658
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/01/1965

Faithless and Scientific Atheist,

I'm praying for you both!!

Yukon :P