IGNORED

polygamist sect hearing in texas decends into farce

redwing

Guest LadyC
no, the state has not broken any contract or law, because the state did not issue the marriage licenses. if you'll scroll up you'll see the post i made... the state of utah doesn't sanction these marriages. they are not LEGAL marriages, therefore the state is not able to prosecute on grounds of polygamy, which is a felony under their laws.

I'm not referring to the marriage licenses, LadyC. I'm referring to the agreement that the Territory of Utah, the Church of Latter Day Saints and the Federal Government made in order for Utah to become a State, and that was that polygamy was outlawed as a practice. That was a legal and binding agreement, if you look it up in the history books. Because polygamy is still allowed to be practiced and the LDS church hasn't done anything about it (yes I know it's an extreme cult that's doing it, however the LDS church did have sway over the FLDS for a while), and even mainstream Mormons practice it (there's a few out there still doing it), it is a violation of both Federal law and the agreement made 2 centuries ago making Utah a State.

a.

i guess what i'm trying to say though, is that if the marriages aren't LEGAL in the state of utah (which they aren't), then how can polygamists be prosecuted? their multiple marriages are not recognized by the state. the fdls church calls it marriage, but the state doesn't. i don't know if they have any laws regarding adultery, or polyamory, but i don't think any state has laws against that... which means that the only thing that the state can go after them for, is for sexual assault of a minor... but how would they get them to talk?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LadyC

i've got dinner cooking, just noticed you posted a history summary... i'll have to go back and read that after i eat. maybe it will clarify something i'm missing.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/02/1961

no, the state has not broken any contract or law, because the state did not issue the marriage licenses. if you'll scroll up you'll see the post i made... the state of utah doesn't sanction these marriages. they are not LEGAL marriages, therefore the state is not able to prosecute on grounds of polygamy, which is a felony under their laws.

I'm not referring to the marriage licenses, LadyC. I'm referring to the agreement that the Territory of Utah, the Church of Latter Day Saints and the Federal Government made in order for Utah to become a State, and that was that polygamy was outlawed as a practice. That was a legal and binding agreement, if you look it up in the history books. Because polygamy is still allowed to be practiced and the LDS church hasn't done anything about it (yes I know it's an extreme cult that's doing it, however the LDS church did have sway over the FLDS for a while), and even mainstream Mormons practice it (there's a few out there still doing it), it is a violation of both Federal law and the agreement made 2 centuries ago making Utah a State.

a.

i guess what i'm trying to say though, is that if the marriages aren't LEGAL in the state of utah (which they aren't), then how can polygamists be prosecuted? their multiple marriages are not recognized by the state. the fdls church calls it marriage, but the state doesn't. i don't know if they have any laws regarding adultery, or polyamory, but i don't think any state has laws against that... which means that the only thing that the state can go after them for, is for sexual assault of a minor... but how would they get them to talk?

No, the marriages aren't legal anywhere, which makes the prosecutorial basis that of sexual abuse to minors. The fact that the "wives", most of 'em, are under the age of 18, makes it statutory rape.

a.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  04/19/1942

a.

No, the marriages aren't legal anywhere, which makes the prosecutorial basis that of sexual abuse to minors. The fact that the "wives", most of 'em, are under the age of 18, makes it statutory rape.

a.

this is not quite correct. in ky. the age of consent is 16.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  02/02/1961

a.

a.

this is not quite correct. in ky. the age of consent is 16.

Um, the states these all took place in (Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and Texas), age of consent is 18. Sorry....

• Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Do not believe ANYTHING the government and the controlled media tell you about this case.

And in all our condemning, let us not forget that the Bible only forbids polygamy for Christian Bishops.........

Remember that NEXT TIME the government might decide YOUR church has money and property they want! Andthey can trump up charges against you too!

• Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Leonard, Jesus HIMSELF said that God intended one man and one woman. And those little girls, don't need to be mothers at 14, 15 and 16 irregardless of how you feel about the other.

Guest LadyC

leonard, this isn't a discussion about whether polygamy was allowed in the Bible and for whom. it doesn't matter that polygamy was permitted back in those days. the bible is very, very clear that we are to be submissive to the laws of the land so long as they don't require us to deny God. the law of the land prohibits polygamy, therefore, to practice it is contrary to what God instructs US to do.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Remember that NEXT TIME the government might decide YOUR church has money and property they want! Andthey can trump up charges against you too!

This is true. Or they may decide your church is dangerous and has to be "dealt with".

• Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  04/19/1942

new info. my son told me if this girl did make a false report, it worked:

False abuse claim investigated in Texas polygamist raid

CBS 42 Reporter: Keith Elkins

Email: krelkins@keyetv.com

Last Update: 3:06 am

Print Story | Email Story

Children Custody Ruling

Polygamist Sect Custody Hearing

Polygamist Sect Hearing Continues

FAQ about Child Abuse and Neglect (12.7KB)

The Colorado Springs Police Department has confirmed that they arrested Rosita Swinton for false reporting to authorities, a misdemeanor charge. (Colorado Springs Police Department, Colorado Springs Police Department)

Related Links

Judge rules children will stay in Texas custody

Apr. 17: "Hearing over custody and child abuse to continue"

More Texas Coverage

Officials say the Texas Rangers are pursuing Rozita Swinton of Colorado as a