IGNORED

is marrying off 15yr olds and multiple wifes a big deal?

Merin

Guest LadyC
lady iagree. But if we abided by gods law and there was no USA law would it be so bad...???

first of all, there is no law regarding age of marriage in the bible, and despite common assumption, i have yet to ever read anywhere in scripture how old a girl (any girl) was at the time of marriage. i only know that boys were not considered to be men until they turned 20. i could be wrong, but i'm going to assume that girls were not considered women just because they reached the age of menstruation, and that the common perception of them marrying at age 14 or so is not really based on anything written in God's word. although, perhaps someone here who has studied the culture and history of hebrews can fill in some blanks.

as for the multiple wives thing, i do not believe that in countries where polygamy is legal, that it is against God. to the contrary, while it may not be God's ideal, i don't believe that God condemns it.

but that is really irrelevant. it IS illegal in our country, and in most western civilizations (maybe all?) so it's a moot point. God is opposed to it in this context.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lady iagree. But if we abided by gods law and there was no USA law would it be so bad...???

Leviticus 18

5 You shall therefore keep My statutes and My judgments, which if a man does, he shall live by them: I am the LORD.

Guest LadyC
ladyc... Again no that is wrong!!!!!!! Again no!!!!! But I am not talking about that!!!

then what ARE you talking about? did i miss something? i thought this whole thread you started was questioning why we are so adamantly against the FLDS practice of marrying off little girls to old men with multiple wives. if i'm wrong, then please enlighten me as to exactly what you are talking about, please.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  432
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/05/1979

ok ty for the insight! And I also say that is wrong!!! But I am asking still... What is so wrong with marring at 15 or more than or wife?

Well, put it this way, would you like to be just one of many husbands your wife had?

no way man!!!! LOL

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  02/02/1961

ok ty for the insight! And I also say that is wrong!!! But I am asking still... What is so wrong with marring at 15 or more than or wife?

Well, put it this way, would you like to be just one of many husbands your wife had?

no way man!!!! LOL

Honestly, think about this one: would you REALLY be able to handle more than one wife? If one drives you nutz, imagine what 4, 5, 6, or even 500 would do.....

a.

Jade i didn't say it was good or right to use drugs!!!

ty onelight that was what i was looking for!!!!! why did some of the old testment guys have more wives and concubines and stuff?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Because man is fallen and does many things that are not good. There were many cultures back then, that didnt follow God, that were polygamist. Take a look at the first one who had more than one wife back then. A man named Lamech, from the line of Cain, who also committed murder.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Genesis 4

19 And Lamech took two wives to himself. The name of the first one was Adah, and the name of the other was Zillah.

20 And Adah bore Jabal; he was the father of those who dwell in tents, and with cattle.

21 And his brother's name was Jubal; he was the father of all those playing the harp and the organ.

22 And Zillah also bore Tubalcain, the hammerer of every engraving tool of bronze and iron. And the sister of Tubalcain was Naamah.

23 And Lamech said to his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice, wives of Lamech, listen to my speech. For I have killed a man because of my wound, and a young man because of my hurt.

24 For Cain is avenged seven times, and Lamech seventy-seven times.

Figured I would post it since I referenced it.

[q1 Corinthians 7:1-3

Principles of Marriage

Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me:

It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband. Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband.

is this the only hint that multiple wifes is wrong?