• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/03/1989

Hi all! Something has been bringing itself up in my mind recently. It does deal with college, so I feel as if I should have posted this in the college forum, however, I wanted broader insight.

I'm in the last week of my Freshman year. I attend an all women's liberal arts school that is affilliated with the Methodist denomination. While sitting in my Gender and Philosophy (go figure) class one day something hit me...what's the point of all of this when in actuality my education, my knowledge is nothing but a worldly possession. I realize that in today's world a college degree would bring in more money, but that conflicts me. Being smarter than anyone else won't get me into the Heavenly gates. Am I getting my education to better myself? Other people? To simply get a degree so I can put food on the table?

Then, while also in the same class I realize that many of the courses I'm taking aren't adding to my spiritual needs, in fact, they disregard the Lord and his Holiness altogether and on purpose. What's a girl to do? Has anyone else run into these same problems or am I over analyzing? I appreciate any comments, in advance!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  432
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/05/1979

You are propally over analizing.... but maybe God is moving you to go somewhere else..lot's of cool christian schools of ministry out there...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Hi all! Something has been bringing itself up in my mind recently. It does deal with college, so I feel as if I should have posted this in the college forum, however, I wanted broader insight.

I'm in the last week of my Freshman year. I attend an all women's liberal arts school that is affilliated with the Methodist denomination. While sitting in my Gender and Philosophy (go figure) class one day something hit me...what's the point of all of this when in actuality my education, my knowledge is nothing but a worldly possession. I realize that in today's world a college degree would bring in more money, but that conflicts me. Being smarter than anyone else won't get me into the Heavenly gates. Am I getting my education to better myself? Other people? To simply get a degree so I can put food on the table?

Then, while also in the same class I realize that many of the courses I'm taking aren't adding to my spiritual needs, in fact, they disregard the Lord and his Holiness altogether and on purpose. What's a girl to do? Has anyone else run into these same problems or am I over analyzing? I appreciate any comments, in advance!

Personally, I believe very strongly in education. As Believers, I know it's not necessary for us to have degrees spiritually, but I do think it's important we become as educated as we can be, as far as God leads us to be. Basically:

1. I've found that, if anything, the more I learn the more I realize I don't know. It's humbling (*I guess for some people it has the opposite effect, but I think that if you take a Christian education to heart that nine times out of ten that's the effect you'll see).

2. Knowledge and wisdom are GOOD things, and while conventional schooling may not be focused on giving us the knowledge and wisdom of God, I think it can equip us to better receive and understand it (see above*)

3. Knowledge is spoken of in the Bible often as something good and worthy. I doubt you could open a page in the book of Proverbs without finding a verse on why knowledge is good!

4. Ignorance sucks. :emot-hug:

ANyway, just my two cents. Have you been praying about this? Have you considered that maybe God is leading you in a different direction academically (maybe to a Bible College)? Not that I'm trying to put words in His mouth. I'm just sorta throwing the idea out there.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Anna -

It is good to eveluate where you are going, where the Lord is leading you to, and stuff like that.

I wouldn't dismiss education off-hand - after all, Paul was a scholar and was able to utilize his education in his preaching. Luke, being a doctor, must have also been highly educated.

As for "being smarter," that's a matter of perspective. Book smarts is one thing; being able to apply what you know is another type of smarts.

Concerning making money - although money should not be an idol in our lives, we do need it in order to survive. Consider this: you can't donate money to help others if you don't have money to donate.

But I think the real question you are asking yourself is something along the lines of: where am I going?

If you have a goal, and getting that degree helps you towards that goal, then you just have to endure the college requirements to get there. But, if your goal has nothing to do with the degree, then maybe you should seek other avenues.

But if your desire is to be out on the mission field, you may want to consider that missionary work often needs skilled workers out in the field. For example, one of my college friends married an engineer, and they are missionaries with a world-wide Christian radio ministry - his engineering skills were useful in maintaining the radio station and other projects within the thrid world country they were stationed at.

Make sense?

But I can't blame you for wanting out of those philosophy courses! It's amazing how a Christian college can teach the most unBiblical doctrine! The best you can do is after class, compare your notes with Scripture. This will train you in refuting false doctrine. That's probably the best way to actually get something out of it!

Snicker Doodle Snicker Not

As You Ponder These Selfish Thoughts Of Men And Mice

Do Not Snicker In Class Just Smile Nod And Be Nice

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Acts 17:11

Know Your Father Above Looks Down In Love

Upon His Dear Daughter He Sent His Dove

And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God,I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: [18] And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy: Acts 2:17-18

Check Out Each Little Thing As You Learn

Make God's Presence Your Heart's Deepest Yearn

One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple. Psalms 27:4

This Heart Of Worship Within The Halls Of Academia

May Keep Your Soul From Spiritual Malignant Anemia

Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings, Psalms 17:8

Be The Leader Of This Student Pack

Show You Can Learn And Have Got The Knack

For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding. He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly. Proverbs 2:6-7

Drink It Up To The Very Last Drop

You Might Be Teacher To The Next Crop

:noidea:

You Are Exactly Right Per My Wife (I Concur)

But.... The Real Purpose Of Education Is To Prepare You For Service To Others

:thumbsup:

Be Blessed Beloved Daughter Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

But if your desire is to be out on the mission field, you may want to consider that missionary work often needs skilled workers out in the field. For example, one of my college friends married an engineer, and they are missionaries with a world-wide Christian radio ministry - his engineering skills were useful in maintaining the radio station and other projects within the thrid world country they were stationed at.

Excellent point! And along those lines, it often facilitates entry to the country you may be called to if you have a skill set or a level of education which they lack in that country.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

The more you know the more you grow.

I'm shaking my head to myself thinking, " I never thought I would be saying this ", but, you are still very young. Sit tight for a minute and keep on analyzing.

What you are doing right now may not open the door intended for you, but it may open the door to the hall that leads to your door.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  705
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  11/23/1958

I agree with what Nebula wrote and this verse also came to my mind.

1Co 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Many blessings to you. :whistling:

• Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  08/03/1989

Thanks everyone for all the responses! Each of them means a lot to me, and have helped me understand some things. You guys are great! I praise the Lord for finding this forum!

-Annabel

• Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  08/20/1990

Hi there--

I can tell you that I am starting college next fall, and when I was looking for colleges to apply to, I looked for a college that was not one specific denomination, but several so that I could not feel excluded in the practices. I wanted a college that would benefit me academically and spiritually. I think you are right to wonder about these things, though.

I know that doesn't help much, but I tried. :34: