• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/10/1971

I'm curious about all of the differences in the denominations and one thing iI'm most curious about is where did the "practice" for lack of a better word, come from as far as priests having the authority to absolve people of their sins? I'm sure this is in here somewhere, but couldn't find it in the other threads. Sorry if this is redundant.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

I'm curious about all of the differences in the denominations and one thing iI'm most curious about is where did the "practice" for lack of a better word, come from as far as priests having the authority to absolve people of their sins? I'm sure this is in here somewhere, but couldn't find it in the other threads. Sorry if this is redundant.

1Tim 2:3-5 This is good and acceptable, in the sight of our saviour God, 4. Who desires all men to be saved and come to the full knowledge of the truth. 5. for there is One God and one Mediator of God and men, the Man Christ Jesus. 6. who gave Hiself a ransom on behalf of all, testimony to be borne in it's own times. read more...........

All priests are born sinners like everyone, so where in the bible is the authority for sinners to absolve another man's sin. Some may be born again and forgiven like any other repentant sinner, like myself, but no one can usurp the authority of God, to forgive sin, Not even the pope.

1Tim 2:3-5 This is good and acceptable, in the sight of our saviour God, 4. Who desires all men to be saved and come to the full knowledge of the truth. 5. for there is One God and one Mediator of God and men, the Man Christ Jesus. 6. who gave Hiself a ransom on behalf of all, testimony to be borne in it's own times. read more...........

All priests are born sinners like everyone, so where in the bible is the authority for sinners to absolve another man's sin. Some may be born again and forgiven like any other repentant sinner, like myself, but no one can usurp the authority of God, to forgive sin, Not even the pope.

Eric, thanks for responding but I'm afraid that that doesn't really answer my question. I know that God forgives us our sins, but I'm curious as to where in the Bible it gives permission for any man or woman for that matter to grant forgiveness, especially in relation to Confession in the Catholic church. I'm not here to stir up trouble, I'm simply curious about how that all came about. There maybe I phrased it better this time. LOL. A few hours of sleep will do that for you. :noidea:

.... one thing I'm most curious about is where did the "practice" for lack of a better word, come from as far as priests having the authority to absolve people of their sins? ....

:whistling:

The Bible Unchained

But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Matthew 23:8-12

Are You Mennonite?

Believers who wash each other's feet show that they share in the body of Christ. They thus acknowledge their frequent need of cleansing, renew their willingness to let go of pride and worldly power, and offer their lives in humble service and sacrificial love.
http://www.mcusa-archives.org/library/reso...95/1995-13.html

Foot Washing Really Does Help A Brother Resist Brother Bashing

And Other Sins Of Pride

:thumbsup:

The Practice

If We Confess One To Another

Confess your faults one to another.... James 5:16(a)

Pray For Our Brother

.... and pray one for another.... James 5:16(b)

We Are Healed

.... that ye may be healed.... James 5:16©

And Heard

.... The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. James 5:16(d)

By Grace

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:8-10

:whistling:

Load Bearing

Brothers Carry One Another's Heavy Load

Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

Meet Their Own Responsibility

For every man shall bear his own burden. Galatians 6:5

And Love One Another

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Galatians 5:14

By Grace

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. 2 Corinthians 13:14

Amen

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

I'm not catholic, but have had many catholic friends and have asked this very question.

If I remember correctly, they believe that the spirit or power that was with Peter was transferred to the pope and he in turn transfers this onto the people under him, the cardinals, bishops and priests.

I don't know of any scripture that backs this up and I'm sure the folks on here who are practicing catholics will further the explaination.

There is a scripture I think that tells us to confess our sins to one another, but no mention of one believer being able to forgive that sin as G-d does.

There is a scripture I think that tells us to confess our sins to one another, but no mention of one believer being able to forgive that sin as G-d does.

Yeap!

Jesu Is LORD - Jesus Saves

FYI The RCC Is Not The Only Confessers

...., Within the Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholic churches, it is understood that the Mystery of confession and repentance has more to do with the spiritual development of the individual and much less to do with purification.....

Orthodox understand that the confession is not made to the priest, but to Christ, and the priest stands only as witness and guide.....

Lutheran churches practice "confession and absolution" with the emphasis on the absolution, which is God's word of forgiveness. Confession and absolution may be either private to the pastor, called the "confessor" with the person confessing known as the "penitent," or corporate with the assembled congregation making a general confession to the pastor in the Divine Service....

The Anglican sacrament of confession and absolution is usually a component part of corporate worship, particularly at services of the Holy Eucharist. The form involves an exhortation to repentance by the priest, a period of silent prayer during which believers may inwardly confess their sins, a form of general confession said together by all present, and the pronouncement of absolution by the priest, often accompanied by the sign of the cross .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confession#Ea...ern_Catholicism

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Eric, thanks for responding but I'm afraid that that doesn't really answer my question. I know that God forgives us our sins, but I'm curious as to where in the Bible it gives permission for any man or woman for that matter to grant forgiveness, especially in relation to Confession in the Catholic church. I'm not here to stir up trouble, I'm simply curious about how that all came about. There maybe I phrased it better this time. LOL. A few hours of sleep will do that for you. :whistling:

You won't find it anywhere in the Bible where a man or woman are granted the power to grant forgiveness on a heavenly level. If I wrong someone I ask God to forgive me, then go to that person and ask their forgiveness. Some use Matthew 16:19: "And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Confessing our sins to another person is not so that person can absolve us from our sin. By telling another person "I have done ________ (fill in the blank)" it is out in the open. Now a brother or sister may be able to be an accountability partner, or guide you Biblically to making amends for a sin, but only..only..Jesus Christ, through His atoning blood sacrifice, can we be forgiven.

All Scripture needs to be taken in context and not just pulled out to justify something we want to believe. The Bible is very consistant, in all contexts, that it is only Jesus who forgives sin.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  05/20/1976

No man can forgive sin. Only Jesus/God.

Alas, I think I'm misunderstood. I absolutely believe in confessing my sin to God whether or not there's anyone else around to hear it. I'm a Methodist by the way, not Mennonite. I appreciate all the responses, I think I have the answer I was looking for. As I stated, I'm very curious about the differences between denominations and believe that much insight is to be gained by learning all I can about all of them so that I can also see the similarities that unite us all as Christians. Also, this will keep me from developing any misconceptions about any one religion. I had always heard that in the Catholic church you had to go to the Priest in order to be forgiven, that he had the power to grant you forgiveness. I wanted to know if that were exactly true or what the deal actually was. Now I know and I'm grateful for the information. Thanks again to all and thanks be to God for all you smart people on here who can help me gain knowledge! :whistling:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

I'm not RC, so this is from an outsider's perspective, but it's my understanding that it's no so much the Priest forgiving sins, but rather it's an assurance of sins forgiven. Kind of like how some Protestant Churches do the Prayer of Confession and Assurance of Forgiveness.