IGNORED

The purpose driven church

Guest LCPGUY

Guest LadyC

style to me is important. i want a church with a rock band. i want contemporary music. i want a preacher that teaches biblical truth in story form... Jesus did this in parables. but i want those parables to be more than entertaining, i want the unabashed truth, the good, the bad, the feel good and the hellfire and brimstone all in one.

so my questions still go unanswered. i don't give a hoot about his style, or his promotion of style, i want to know if he promotes the FULL gospel, the ones that leave a person trembling and shaking with fear as much as the ones that leave a person smiling and feeling all happy.

what does he say about demonic activity and how to deal with the spiritual warfare? what does he say to his congregation about the consequences of adultry, fornication, and homosexuality? what does he say about repentance in the salvation process? what does he say about all the other things i asked about?

it appears to me that nobody is capable of giving an answer to those questions, which so far is leaving me to believe that the whole purpose driving phenomenon is missing it's purpose.

Guest bfgower

I know what you want, but doctrine is not the point. We would use Doctrine to evaluate Saddleback as a church, but the PD idea is addressing evangelism, not presenting doctrine. This is why it is applicable across the board of denominations. If you want to Judge them on doctrine, study what the Southern Baptists believe, not the PDL.

-Bryan

Church

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

Have I offended you in some manner?

Nope. Not at all. I just have a different viewpoint on some things. :o

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  05/16/1959

LadyC,

the only topic the PD life seems to cover is witnessing, it is a must.

I will look it over quickly again and see if anything else is covered.

Aha! I see RW also covers heaven and hell...'If you learn to love and trust God's Son, Jesus you will be invited to spend the rest of eternity with Him. On the other hand, if you reject His love, forgiveness, and salvation, you will spend eternity apart from God forever.'

obedience is a big part of the PDL.

Maybe I'll just list the purposes:

1) You were planned for God's pleasure.

2) You were formed for God's family.

3) You were created to become like Christ.

4) You were shaped for serving God. (this discusses the different personality types.)

5) You were made for a mission.

Hope this helps a little,

stilllearnin'

Guest LadyC
I know what you want, but doctrine is not the point. We would use Doctrine to evaluate Saddleback as a church, but the PD idea is addressing evangelism, not presenting doctrine. This is why it is applicable across the board of denominations. If you want to Judge them on doctrine, study what the Southern Baptists believe, not the PDL.

-Bryan

Church

evangelism without doctrine is impossible. i was raised southern baptist. some are dogmatic, some are legalists to the core, and some are into 'feel good' watered down theology.

this author is becoming quite popular with his books. i think it behooves us all to know what he preaches besides how to grow your church.

Guest aka_mary

Well our church will be doing 40 Days Of Purpose in the fall. I attended a seminar about 6 years for the Purpose Driven Church. For me personally it was enlightening. Not having been raised in the church it helped explain several things to me.

I expect to see much fruit come forth in our church this fall.

Purpose Driven Life

Guest idied2

The LORDS purpose is to redeem his Church out of every nation tribe and tongue.

Here are the purposes that drives the redeemed of the LORD.

1. they care nothing for the things that are called treasures here on earth.

2. Their treasure is HE who sits on the throne of heaven.

3. Their hearts are focused steadfast on their treasure.

4. Their eyes only see their treasure.

5. They have sold everything else to purchase that treasure.

Matthew 6:

19 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;

20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.

21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22 "The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light.

23 But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

24 "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Mt 13:44

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

Mt 13:46

who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it.

In CHRIST JESUS :hug: :hug:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

Doctrine is important. However, the PD idea is not about doctrine, it is how we present the Gospel.

Yup. This approach can be used, no matter what kind of doctrine you might choose to preach. :t2:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  187
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  05/23/1959

Maybe the people that have so many questions regarding these two books should maybe pick them up and read them. And then all should be revealed. Our church just started a series of messages on "The Purpose Driven Church" and it is going like gangbusters. Really favourable feedback. The message of Rick is simple you need to be born again. He doesn't pretend to be anything other then a messenger of God's Word and if he uses a paraphrase so what. Not everyone is schooled in the King James Version of the Bible. I think the language of the KJV although poetic is very hard for the new Christian to understand. I personally prefer the NIV but again its a personal choice. And I believe once you make the decision for Christ you are going to be thirsty for a deeper walk with God so you will naturally seek out Bible Studies and teaching that furthers your walk with Him.

In His Name

Marilyn

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/01/2003

what does rick warren teach, preach, or write about regarding

1. homosexuality

2. consequence of sin

3. spiritual warfare (the supernatural realm on both sides... demonic and holy?)

4. premarital sex

5. modesty in appearance

6. spousal submission

7. tithing

8. witnessing

9. family discipline

10. repentance

This isn't from the book, but I do receive a e-newsletter called "Rick Warren's Tool Box" and he often provides links to valuable articles to assist in your church's ministry.

This was one of them last week: Moblizing Member before July 12th Marriage Amendment

Although it wasn't written by Warren, he is endorsing it by including it as a link in his newsletter.

LadyC, I'll let you know if I see anymore