• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/12/1955

In English translations of the Bible, the scholars have changed the meaning of the Hebrew word "nacham" to mean "change one's mind". Translations which automatically interpret this as saying that God "changed His mind" are not always wrong, but incomplete. The King James Version translated 'nacham' as "repented," but the meaning of that word has changed so much over the past 500 years. Nacham generally means to turn or change direction, though it can mean to change one's mind.

Today, repentance is always associated with erroneous behavior that is being corrected, but in the 16th Century, the word "repent"

had didn't mean the same thing. Then, it simply meant to make a dramatic change in direction.

For example, take Numbers 23:19 "God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?"(KJV) In this verse God tells us He will do what he says; that He can be relied upon with confidence. Lying is associated with changing of the mind. If God says one thing, changes His mind and then do something else, the first statement would be a lie.

What about this verse? 1 Samuel 15:29: "And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent."(KJV) This verse is very clear of the association between "lying" and "changing one's mind." It is impossible to ignore this association. It clearly states that it would be a form of lying if God were to change his mind. If we associate repentance with lying, are we then lying when we repent? No. In fact, it is our sin, the breaking of our promise to God that is a form of lying.

Again in Psalm 10:4 - "The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek."(KJV), - we

see that God took an oath (to Himself) and that He would not repent or "change His mind." His very oath makes such "change" impossible.

In Jeremiah 4:28, God shows us His inability to reverse His position on a promise; that He will neither turn His thinking around completely, or even make a partial change in the purpose He has established. "For this shall the earth mourn, and the heavens above be black: because I have spoken it, I have purposed it, and will not repent, neither will I turn back from it."(KJV). This verse is a prophecy about the captivity of the Jews in Babylon. It is part of His plan.

However, it doesn't mean that the events cannot be avoided, but they will occur should the Jews continue to disobey God. Notice how, in Jeremiah 26:13 that this position is made clear. "Therefore now amend your ways and your doings, and obey the voice of the Lord your God; and the Lord will repent him of the evil that he hath pronounced against you."(KJV) God states that He will change this direction or path for Israel if the nation reverses its course of disobedience. In no way is God changing His mind. What He is saying

is that if Israel repents God will turn the path of the nation's course away from Babylonian captivity. God knows that will not happen but He still reminds then that for these events to change, the nation must confess and repent from their collective sin. At that point, God's perfect plan for Israel will come to fruition. If not

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem for those who maintain that God does not know the future is that they are placing God in time. God is not bound by time. He created tim and is outside of it. In a sense you are placing human limitations on God

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life"

To live life requires time, and for God an endless duration of Time. He does not place himself in our time, it is us that have been placed in His time.

Guest shiloh357
God lives an endless succession of TIME. Eternal is a Timeline that has no end either way.
No, that is timelessnes. God exists outside the boundaries of linear time. God views our past, present and future at once. It's liek the difference between view a parade down on the street where you can only see what is front of you, vs. viewing the same parade from atop a ten story building where you can, at once, see what parts of the parade have already passed by and you can see the parts of the parade yet to come.

An "Eternal Now" God or Timeless God would not have a duration of time to make choice in to enter into a duration or chronology.

Is God waiting for us for the Marriage Supper of the Lamb? Waiting implies a duration of time.

Is God emotionless? He must be because He knows every thing that's going to happen and it certainly won't affect Him, He knew all along. It's like being a Director and watching your own movie, you know every scene, and the punch line. That's called boredom.

LOL, you really think you have it figured out don't you??? Silly finite mortal.

God is not waiting for anything and yes, God knows everything that will happen. God is omnscient and He is omnipresent. See, God knows the future, 'cause He is already there. There is no place that God isn't.

God had a plan to redeem man should he sin. He also had a plan for man if He didn't sin.
The Bible does not say that.

If God knows everything ahead, into eternity, then that also means that in eternity past He knew he would create angels and humans and that at NO time was God alone with His own thoughts. We were always on His mind and therefore I am god.

Now I know I'm not God, I'm not omniscient, nor omnipotent or omnipresent but I would be eternal because I was always on His mind. He just made me a real living being in 1955. That is how far I can stretch your theory.

That is irrational. . The logic that says "if God knew me before I was created means I existed before I was created," is pure nonsense and really doesn't help your position.

Your position is based on assumptions, and not upon the Bible. You assume certain things to be true and then impose them on God as if he is bound by your assumptions.

You tell me that God knows wether I'm going to hell or not. That means that there is absolutely nothing I can do to avoid hell. If I'm one of the unlucky ones who is going to hell, I'm wasting my time praying. Matter of fact your whole theory is a Russian Roulette thing.
That is not true. Knowing the choice you will make does not equate with influencing that choice.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.87
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

I don't mean to sound antagonistic, but if God can't change His mind, then why did Jesus pray; Mark 14 36 And he said, "Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will."?

Jesus would not pray in vain. He must have believed that God may have changed the program.

Yes/no?

No. Jesus made that prayer as a human being.

:emot-heartbeat:

God's Life

Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Matthew 7:14

Ain't The Sinner's Life

But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death. Proverbs 8:36

So Believe The Holy Bible It's God's Word Don't You Know

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:35-36

And It's Good For All Eternity

And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him: And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. Revelation 22:3-4

If One Will Call

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call. Joel 2:32

With Faith

:emot-heartbeat:

Dear BP if you have to go back to 17 century rhetoric and terminology and whatever to redefine the word repent, I will not waste my time here. Just don't use that garbage on a sinner, he'll never get saved.
This is not a "saving" issue. This is a doctrinal issue. The only "garbage" being spoken around here is the kool-aid you are pushing. But hey, don't waste your time on me. I am so hurt! :emot-heartbeat:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Dear BP if you have to go back to 17 century rhetoric and terminology and whatever to redefine the word repent, I will not waste my time here. Just don't use that garbage on a sinner, he'll never get saved.
This is not a "saving" issue. This is a doctrinal issue. The only "garbage" being spoken around here is the kool-aid you are pushing. But hey, don't waste your time on me. I am so hurt! :emot-heartbeat:

Repentance is not a saving issue???

This is not a "saving" issue. This is a doctrinal issue. The only "garbage" being spoken around here is the kool-aid you are pushing. But hey, don't waste your time on me. I am so hurt! :whistling:

Repentance is not a saving issue???

This topic is not about repentance. It is about whether or not God can change His mind. At least that is what it had morphed into.

God lives an endless succession of TIME. Eternal is a Timeline that has no end either way.

No, that is timelessnes. God exists outside the boundaries of linear time. God views our past, present and future at once. It's liek the difference between view a parade down on the street where you can only see what is front of you, vs. viewing the same parade from atop a ten story building where you can, at once, see what parts of the parade have already passed by and you can see the parts of the parade yet to come.

Oh I see, so God is viewing His creation as it comes into being and also, at one great big "outside of time" glance, He sees the heavens and the earth being destroyed. On the top of the building view, He sees Christ on the cross, who says

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Omnipresence is His ability to be anywhere He wishes. His omnipotence gives Him the ability to choose not to stay in the darkness. His Omnipresence simply means He CAN be anywhere His free will wants to be. If He wants to be everywhere simultaneously all the times (our concept), He CAN. If He wants to stay away from the darkness and remain in the light only, He CAN too.

The "CAN" represents His omnipotence.

Similarly, His Omniscience means He knows whatever He wants to know. If He would like to know everything in details simultaneously (our concept), everything in the past, present and future, He CAN. If He wants to ignore anyone by putting him into a total separation from God, He CAN too.

Edited by Hawkins