Celt

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  258
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

How did our Lord Jesus and His Apostles really mean that Christ's coming would be "as a thief in the night"? We hear many saying that a lot, and then adjoining a simple 'be ready' with it. I'm here to tell you that phrase means a whole lot more than simply the idea to be ready for Christ's return at "any moment". If you follow with me in Paul's coverage of it in 1 Thess.5, you'll know once and for all how it was meant.

1Thes 5:1-9

1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.

2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

Paul told those Thessalonians he had no need to write about "the times and the seasons" to them. The times and seasons of what? Christ's coming on the day of The Lord. If you truly love Jesus I assure you, He meant for you to know those "times and the seasons" Paul mentioned there. Those knew Christ's coming on the day of The Lord would be "as a thief in the night" BECAUSE, they were aware of "the times and the seasons". So Paul had no need to explain those seasons to them. It means they understood exactly how that "as a thief" phrase was meant, and who it applied to.

3 For when they shall say, "Peace and safety"; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

Who is this 'they' which will be saying, "Peace and safety"? It will not be faithful Christians who will say that. That's what the deceived will be saying. It's the deceived that will travail as a woman with child. One of the very last events to occur just prior to Christ's return is a short time of peace on earth, albeit a fake peace, even the "world peace" many like to repeat in public speaking. Our Lord Jesus said that when you hear of wars and rumors of wars, don't be alarmed for the end is not yet (Matt.24). The opposite of that is a time of peace and safety.

4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.

Per Paul, that day is NOT to overtake faithful Christians "as a thief". How's that?

Paul just gave us one of the events of "the times and the seasons" right here. That time when the deceived will be saying, "Peace and safety" is one of them. The reason our Lord Jesus gave us His Book of Revelation is so we'd know the times and the seasons leading up to His coming. And much of those signs in Revelation are a repeat, for the seven seals were first covered by our Lord in Matthew 24 and Mark 13. If you watch for those times and seasons our Lord gave, then you will see the time for His return getting closer and closer. In Rev.11 our Lord Jesus even gave us the time of His 7th trumpet return within the same hour that His "two witnesses" in Jerusalem arise and are caught up to Heaven.

5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

Paul contrasts those in Christ as "children of light" and of the day, which is put for not being deceived. Those of the night who are in darkness represent the deceived, those who will be saying, "Peace and safety".

6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.

Watch for what? If Christ's coming is to be at "any moment", then it would be impossible to watch for His coming. The fact that He and His Apostles said to be on watch and remain spiritually sober reveals the need to know those "times and the seasons". To be spiritually asleep means to not be watching for those times and seasons.

7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.

The deceived sleep in the night, and are drunken in the night. That's directly related to the idea of the thief breaking in at night. If you are on watch and awake, you'd be ready for that thief trying to break in so your house wouldn't be broken up. But those who sleep aren't watching, and thus the thief breaking in takes them by surprise. That's the heart of the "as a thief in the night" metaphor. Not only are the deceived asleep, but they are drunken too, so they'd probably sleep through the whole thing with everything gone when they finally do wake up.

All this means that if Christ's coming on the day of The Lord is "as a thief in the night" to you, then you did not remain spiritually sober and watching per the times and the seasons given in His Word. We CAN know those times and seasons, for our Lord Jesus gave them to us to know. We simply have to listen to Him in His Word to know them.

..... All this means that if Christ's coming on the day of The Lord is "as a thief in the night" to you, then you did not remain spiritually sober and watching per the times and the seasons given in His Word.

We CAN know those times and seasons, for our Lord Jesus gave them to us to know.

We simply have to listen to Him in His Word to know them.

:th_praying:

:emot-puke:

Look To Israel

Maranatha! The Lord WILL Return Shortly!

The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones,

And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry.

And he said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord GOD, thou knowest.

Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD.

Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live:

And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am the LORD.

So I prophesied as I was commanded: and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold a shaking, and the bones came together, bone to his bone.

And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and the flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them above: but there was no breath in them.

Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live.

So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army.

Then he said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts.

Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel.

And ye shall know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves,

And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD. Ezekiel 37:1-14

Repent, Believe And Confess

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; Acts 3:19

Trust God Alone

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 14:6

And Rejoice

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Jeremiah 15:16

Evermore!

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I agee completely Jesus is return as a thief to the wicked and unbelieving, not to the believer.the believer should know that Christ coming is soon like Jesus said in Matthew 24:33 when you see these things happen (the things that will be taken place during the tribulation) you know it (the 2nd coming) is near even at the doors. And also in Luke 21:28 When all these thing begin to come to pass ( the things of the great tribulation, peoples heart falling them for fear ect...) left your head for your redemption draws near.

The believer will be eagerly awaiting His coming the unbeliever will be taken off guard and destroyed.

Good. Let's go one deeper then. Why would Paul point out that when 'they', the deceived, will say, "Peace and safety", then sudden destruction will come upon them?

Paul used some Old Testament metaphors in the 1 Thess.5 Scripture about that time of Peace and safety. The "day of the LORD" has several Old Testament examples that serve as blueprints for the final last one at Christ's coming. Paul also said 'they' shall travail "as travail upon a woman with child". He also brought up the spiritual drunken metaphor, and to be alseep in the night metaphor. All those are Old Testament metaphors about God's people in Old Testament times that fell away into false worship against Him.

In Isaiah 54 God gave a spiritual analogy saying, "Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear; break forth into singing, and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child:..." (Isa.54:1).

That's part of the spiritual virgin analogies in God's Word. The opposite of that is a spiritual harlot fallen away into false worship, and is travailing with child spiritually. God is our True Husband per that spiritual analogy in Isaiah 54. That's where Paul got the idea in 2 Cor.11 of presenting us to Christ as "a chaste virgin", espoused to "one Husband" (Christ). In that Isaiah 54 analogy some are the "married wife", in the spiritual sense.

In last days Jerusalem is where the false marriage to a false one is to take place. That's where the Babylon harlot of Rev.18 says she is no widow, and sits a queen. Christ also quoted that Isaiah 54 barren analogy to the women of Jerusalem that wept for Him while He was carrying His cross to be crucified (Luke 23).

Per Rev.13, there will be a time when none can make war against the beast. When all wars and rumors of wars have stopped, then that's when the time of "Peace and safety" will come. It's the time of the tribulation, but not for those who will be decieved, for they will willingly partake in the false spiritual marriage to a false messiah, thinking that God has returned. That's why the deceived will be saying that "Peace and safety". They will think God has come and there will be perfect peace on earth. Even the unbelieving will suddenly be forced to believe, not being aware who they are believing on that will set himself up in Jerusalem as king of the world.

In the Isaiah 54 spiritual "barren" analogy, those deceived represent the "married wife" falling away to false messiah. It's about the apostasy (falling away) Paul taught in 2 Thess.2 when that Wicked one will set himself up in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God. We instead, are to remain as chaste virgins through that, and stay spiritually barren and unwed, waiting for Christ's true coming later.

The great apostasy Paul taught is not about the unbelieving. It's about deceived Christians who fall away to worship the "another Jesus" instead of knowing "the times and seasons" of Christ's coming to wait on Him. Being apostate means leaving what one once believed or held onto. When Christ does return, it will surprise deceived fellow Christians also "as a thief in the night" just as it will the unbelieving and wicked.

If we Christians had no need to watch for Christ's coming and wait on Him with knowing the times and the seasons, then we could simply continue working and not think about it nor watch. And our Lord would not have given us those spiritual virgin analogies in the New Testament linked with end time events leading up to His coming. The time of apostate Christians becoming a spiritual harlot married to the false one is not here yet today. That's set for the tribulation timing, and is what the "great tribulation" is all about. It will be more of a tribulation for those who refuse to bow to the false one, than the deceived apostates who will be saying, "Peace and safety" and already the spiritual "married wife".

For Christ's elect, they will be persecuted for not bowing to the false messiah in place of Christ. The deceived apostates will even hate us for inferring that first one coming is not our Lord Jesus Christ. And for that reason, we who remain steadfast and waiting for Christ Jesus will be delivered up to synagogues and councils to give a Testimony against the false one. That's what our Lord was talking about with not premeditating what we will say in that "hour", but to speak whatever The Holy Spirit gives us to say. The deception of the majority of the world will be so great that they'll sing for joy and give each other presents when the beast ascends from the bottomless pit to murder God's "two witnesses" in Jerusalem (Rev.11).

Isn't it possible that "coming as a thief in the night" is a rhetorical flourish meaning "unexpected?"

:emot-heartbeat:

Or A Really Really Strong Waning

:(

Seek God Now

Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Let the wicked forsake his way,

and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD,

and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God,

for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6-7

Before It Is Too Late

And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.

He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still:

and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still:

and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

And, behold, I come quickly;

and my reward is with me,

to give every man according as his work shall be.

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Revelation 22:10-13

And The Door Is Forever Closed

When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without,

and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us;

and he shall answer and say unto you,

I know you not whence ye are:

Luke 13:25

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life:

and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life;

but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:35-36

Isn't it possible that "coming as a thief in the night" is a rhetorical flourish meaning "unexpected?"

I wouldn't call it a "rhetorical flourish" because our Lord Jesus is Who gave us that warning phrase, and in more than one place in The Bible.

The fact that Paul taught in 1 Thess.5 that Christ's coming is NOT to surprise true Christians as a thief in the night has special meaning.

Most use the phrase to point out that no one knows the day or hour of our Lord's coming, so to be ready whenever He does come. Some have even used it to support the false idea that Christ can come at "any moment". But that's not how Paul meant it, because he taught we are to know "the times and the seasons" of Christ's coming, just so His coming will not take us as a thief in the night. It means we are to be watching the events our Lord gave us to watch leading up to His coming. One of those events puts His coming within a 3 and 1/2 day period.

Who's on the ball then in obeying Christ to be sober and watching, those who don't have clue what event begins that 3 and 1/2 day countdown, or those who do know?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,043
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  5

I wouldn't call it a "rhetorical flourish" because our Lord Jesus is Who gave us that warning phrase, and in more than one place in The Bible.

The fact that Paul taught in 1 Thess.5 that Christ's coming is NOT to surprise true Christians as a thief in the night has special meaning.

Most use the phrase to point out that no one knows the day or hour of our Lord's coming, so to be ready whenever He does come. Some have even used it to support the false idea that Christ can come at "any moment". But that's not how Paul meant it, because he taught we are to know "the times and the seasons" of Christ's coming, just so His coming will not take us as a thief in the night. It means we are to be watching the events our Lord gave us to watch leading up to His coming. One of those events puts His coming within a 3 and 1/2 day period.

Who's on the ball then in obeying Christ to be sober and watching, those who don't have clue what event begins that 3 and 1/2 day countdown, or those who do know?

The death of the two witnesses

It means we are to be watching the events our Lord gave us to watch leading up to His coming. One of those events puts His coming within a 3 and 1/2 day period.

Clue me in.

Thanks.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I think you're making a mountain out of a valley - Jesus was known to use rhetorical devices to make His points clear to His audience. I think also the clueless ones are those who insist on forming doctrine based on the turn of a phrase.

Two credits for Rufus

Yes, we watch the condition of the world. We see the seasons. The very problems of lawlessness and persecution affirm that God's plan is on track. These things are not unexpected.

We know Jesus will return. We do not know when Jesus will return. That much discussed and longed for event will happen without warning - Like the coming of a theif in the night.

Rev 3:3

3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.(KJV)

If we were not to discern in "what hour" of the watch His coming is, then our Lord would not have said the above.

Rev 16:15

15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

(KJV)

According to the warning the apostle Paul gave in 2 Thess.2 about a false one that comes first, setting himself up in the temple as God, and how it will cause many believers to become apostates, in "what hour" our Lord said becomes more important than simply understanding His return will be as a thief in the night.

It means we are to be watching the events our Lord gave us to watch leading up to His coming. One of those events puts His coming within a 3 and 1/2 day period.

Clue me in.

Thanks.

In Rev.11, the beast that ascends from the bottomless pit will murder God's two witnesses, and cause their bodies to lay in the street (open square or plaza), not being buried. Rev.11:9 says the nations will be watching their dead bodies lay in the street for three days and a half. At the end of that time, God will resurrect them, those seeing it suddenly having great fear. Then they are caught up to Heaven, and within that same hour there's a great earthquake in Jerusalem preparing the 3rd last woe/7th trumpet sounding. That's when all the kingdoms of this world then become Christ's, signaling the start of His reign on earth. So, at the end of that three days and a half with God's two witnesses resurrected, we should see Christ's coming quickly thereafter.