• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The funny thing is -

If we all agreed on everything, we'd have nothing to talk about.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  217
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Personally, FloatingAxe, I liked the notes you posted, and when I'm not connected to a local body I feel dry. Two thumbs up for the OP.

As far as the rest, some people haven't learned to use a small brush when painting word pictures. Not all churches have extraneous things in the sanctuary (if one were to buy the idea that they were idols in the first place), and just because you haven't found one that doesn't and that bothers you doesn't mean that there isn't a place out there for you.

Guest shiloh357
1 Corinthians 1

10 Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Ingored by the church.

I don't think it is ignored by the church. I think it is ignored by some individual churches though. This verse is often used as a blugeoning tool against denominations, but that this verse is talking about an internal division within a single congregation.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Oh, I know!

I don't understand why man doesn't want to explain what his grievance is. That makes it impossible to discuss the situation.

Man - please clarify, OK?

Dt 4:16 has nothing to do with the picture of Jesus I have hanging on my wall.

You can't possibly have a picture of Jesus hanging on your wall.

Deut. 4:16 is specifically talking about that picture you have.

Is it not a picture of a male figure and do you not call that male image "Jesus", your Lord and Savior?

This is what the Word has to say about your picture and every other image like it.

Romans 1

22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,

23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man

The Christ Jesus is our only hope for salvation. It is only through Him that we gain access to the Father. He "is" our only hope.

Romans 8

24 For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees?

Idolatry isn't just about bowing down to a false god. It's about having one.

How many of you would consider setting up a Budda in your living room? Or an image of Baal hanging on your wall? How about a mural of the devil splashed across the side of your car?

Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? But that's exactly what you're doing when you welcome these images into your lives. That image of Christ is a lie. It is a counterfeit god. It was put on this earth by the devil himself.

The Word is very specific when it comes to idols. We are not to have them. Deut. 4:16 calls it an act of corruption.

Am I going to tell you to get rid of them? No. I don't advise you to listen to me. I advise you to listen to God. What does He say about false images?

This is just something to think about. If you think it doesn't matter, just remember, the God of Israel is a jealous God and there will come a day when you will have to stand before Him.

Peace.

would "none" include family pictures?

or how about my wife's doll collection from around the world?

how about the fake tree in our house?

No, it would not include any of those things.

Can anyone explain why they believe that it's ok to have one of these images?

Please be very specific as to your reasons why.

Thanks.

man has used the excuse that not all churches are faithful to the word as one reason for not going.

Which is true. Not all churches are.

1 Corinthians 1

10 Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Ingored by the church.

Deuteronomy 4

15 Take careful heed to yourselves, for you saw no form when the LORD spoke to you at Horeb out of the midst of the fire,

16 lest you act corruptly and make for yourselves a carved image in the form of any figure: the likeness of male or female,

Ignored by the church.

The true Church of Jesus Christ in the world does nothing of the kind.

You are correct. The One true church does not.