IGNORED

Can a Christian who refuses to be baptized be a Christian?

Mudcat

Christians and Baptism.  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Can a Christian who refuses to be baptized, be a Christian?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe or Other...Please explain.
  2. 2. Does it matter who baptizes a Christian?

• Yes. If so, then who must do it.
    • No.
  3. 3. Does it matter what words are spoken at baptism.

• Yes. The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost.
    • Yes. In the Name of Jesus Christ.
    • No.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I am looking at the poll and find it kind of surprising.

I understand that faith is what saves us, nothing more, nothing less. However the poll is not about what saves us, it is about people who refuse to be baptized, knowing what baptism is, knowing what Christ said about Baptism, and yet still refusing.

14 Later He appeared to the eleven as they sat at the table; and He rebuked their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they did not believe those who had seen Him after He had risen. 15 And He said to them,

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  185
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1972

I understand that faith is what saves us, nothing more, nothing less. However the poll is not about what saves us, it is about people who refuse to be baptized, knowing what baptism is, knowing what Christ said about Baptism, and yet still refusing.

14 Later He appeared to the eleven as they sat at the table; and He rebuked their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they did not believe those who had seen Him after He had risen. 15 And He said to them,

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

Water baptism is commanded so therefore I don't see it as an option. However, it does not save you. It is not sacramental. But, a person's refusal would make their profession suspect. However, can we judge that biblically. If we use phobia as an excuse, have we weakened the belief that we are no longer in bondage?

Not everyone is freed of all bondage immediately...if they were none of us would smoke drink or anything else we have issues with.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178

As they were traveling down the road, they came to some water. The eunuch said, "Look, there's water! What would keep me from being baptized?" And Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart you may." And he replied, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

It's not baptism in a Church, it's baptism in The Church. Do you want to stand in front of God and explain to Him why you refused to baptize a Christian or where you came up with this extra requirement for baptism?

JB

Hi JB,

You took the words right out of my mouth and stated it better than I could have.

There is only one Church of which we should concern ourselves of membership.

Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

All true, which is why the refusal to be part of that true Church would be a real concern.

True church or congregation Smalcald? What church was the eunuch baptized into?

JB

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.95
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Kind of a trick question. The person is not refusing to be baptized, the so-called churches are refusing to baptize her. Shame on them!

As they were traveling down the road, they came to some water. The eunuch said, "Look, there's water! What would keep me from being baptized?" And Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart you may." And he replied, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

It's not baptism in a Church, it's baptism in The Church. Do you want to stand in front of God and explain to Him why you refused to baptize a Christian or where you came up with this extra requirement for baptism?

JB

Hi JB,

You took the words right out of my mouth and stated it better than I could have.

There is only one Church of which we should concern ourselves of membership.

Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

All true, which is why the refusal to be part of that true Church would be a real concern.

True church or congregation Smalcald? What church was the eunuch baptized into?

JB

I am probably not making myself clear (which is a common problem I have sorry). Anyway, no of course we are not baptized "into" any Christian congregation. The Eunuch was born again, had faith in Christ and was baptized by another true believing Christian who also of course held true beliefs about Christ.

A person who wants to come into an assembly of believers, and refuse to profess faith by showing love for those believers by becoming a member may not even understand what baptism means. In addition it is not done for the sake of the congregation, but for the sake of the believe. No there is absolutely nothing wrong with a congregation wanting a believer to join their congregation prior to baptism. There is something really really wrong with wanting to take part in Baptism with a group of believers you don

Kind of a trick question. The person is not refusing to be baptized, the so-called churches are refusing to baptize her. Shame on them!

No they are not, they are inviting her to join them in love. They are refusing her nothing, she is refusing to show Christian love, which would then question the whole reason she wants them to baptize her.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  185
  • Birthday:  08/14/1972

Consider another case, let’s say you are walking down the street and see a nice looking Church, there is a cross, you walk in and they are talking about Jesus, so you demand to be baptized by them as "you" think you are ready; so the LDS baptizes you. Is that what you would want for you or your family? What if the Church does not baptize in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit as commanded in scripture, what if they worship Satan and you are baptized to the church of the anti-Christ?

If you saw a cross, it wouldn't be an LDS church. They don't have them in their structures or ,as a rule of thumb, wear them either.

As to their verbage during baptism....

"Being Commissioned by Jesus Christ, I baptize you <insert name> in the name of the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit"

edit add....

not trying to be overly critical.

Just factual.

Edited by Mudcat

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

a person baptized as a baby (Christening, baby dedicating, things such as this) are not what is spoken of in the Bible.....

a person being baptized into the body of Christ IS what the Word speaks about...

a person being baptized into a local body of believers (required to join that particular denomination) is not what the Bible talks about....

a person being baptized, showing and outward action testifying that he(or she) had an inward event take place (salvation) this is what we are taught.....

are we to be baptized? absolutely, but baptism is not ....is not ... is not what saves a person, if it was, then it would be salvation by works..... it is our testimony of our salvation.....an outward act for an inward action....

if a person accepts Christ today, and for one reason or another, is unable to be baptized for several months ( river and lake baptisms are grand, except when it is snowing out side ) such as a church not having a baptizimal and other denominations not letting theirs be used for "some other church" Christ will not....will not.... will not keep you from being a full fledged Christian...

be baptized when you can....

I know a young lady, that has some issues..... she has been (in the past) abused by being held under water, she refuses to be baptized because of this fear..... a trauma like that can take sometimes years to heal..... SHE IS 100% CHRISTIAN....

I personally know this young lady... one day, she may choose to let her heart race for a few minutes while she anticipates the event and take the deepest breath of air as if she was free diving 40 or 50 foot to pick up some coral or oysters or something in the ocean... and when she comes up, she will probably be spittin and sputterin, even caughin for a while.... who knows, but it is up to her and when she is ready she will.... that i am sure of.... if she was to die right now, I know for a fact i would see her again.....

mike