• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

LOL probably. I got my number changed and only told 3 people......deceptive?

isnt that why they have call waiting :whistling:

LOL caller ID. I got mad and got vonage...my bill is 50 bucks cheaper. the new number was just a plus.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Bibs -

I hope you don't feel obligated to answer phone calls from 888 numbers for the same reason. :thumbsup:

(If you believe not answering the door is deception and lying, then not answering the phone is the same thing....)

Guest Biblicist
Bibs -

I hope you don't feel obligated to answer phone calls from 888 numbers for the same reason. :blink:

(If you believe not answering the door is deception and lying, then not answering the phone is the same thing....)

It's not the same thing, not to me. I don't have an answering machine on my front door. Answering machines still answer the phone, and they can still get a message to me. PLUS in this day and age of cell phones, hardly anyone I KNOW calls the house phone anymore. 888 numbers are not people, they are recordings. Not answering a recorded message call is not rude.

If someone takes the time to come to my home, and see me or someone in my family face to face, then I should show them some courtesy of answering the door. Even if I do not want to see them. To me that is hospitality. I love guests, even uninvited ones. Serving other's, even when I don't feel like it, is always a blessing.

Telephones, are a good way of avoiding speaking to people face to face. And thereby, in my opinion, are RUDE. I think they have served to separate humans, not connect them. Not only does it separate you from the person you are speaking to, but those who are around you or in the room. Especially at the supermarket...I hate that.

:thumbsup: Ok I'm done now!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I am NOT getting up and down umpteen times in one night to answer a doorbell and tell the little goblins (and big ones too), "Sorry, nothing for you!" That is stupid, and misleading to the kids! I am not about to do it with my bad knees, either!

Such a night, borne out of paganism, doesn't deserve one bit of acknowledgement from me...and it's not going to get it.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

The Bible does not talk about passing out candy on October 31st....It does speak, rather loudly, about lying. :thumbsup: I was pretty clear when I said, twice, that everyone should do as they felt led, and they would answer to God for their choices, as will I.

yes, the Bible is clear on lying, what is not clear is if turning off your lights and not answering your door one night is lying. I would have never in a 1000 years thought of that as lying.

Because it isn't. It does NOT signify that you are not home. It means very little that way since most people who are not home turn ON the lights so that they can see to get in when they do come home.

Turning your light off and not answering a door is a universal sign that you are not available for company. Which is, in this case, the point.

If I turned on the light and opened the door, when I was not in the mood (for any reason, not just 31 October) it would be lying as it would be saying that I *did* want company when I most certainly did not. And it would be lying twice on beggars night because this would also signify that I had candy when I most certainly dont.

Guest Biblicist

FA, please don't get so defensive.

I have not told you one time that you should not do as you have chosen to do. Numerous times I have stated that we are to be led by the Lord to do what is right.

I am not trying to judge you, and if you knew me, or would give me the benefit of the doubt, you'd understand that. If your witness to your neighbors is to make them aware that you do not celebrate the holiday and you shut off your front light to prove it, then that is fine. As long as they understand that you are not deliberately trying to deceive them, you are there, you just won't answer the door. That's not deception, you are being honest.

Please, cool down.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

FA, please don't get so defensive.

I have not told you one time that you should not do as you have chosen to do. Numerous times I have stated that we are to be led by the Lord to do what is right.

I am not trying to judge you, and if you knew me, or would give me the benefit of the doubt, you'd understand that. If your witness to your neighbors is to make them aware that you do not celebrate the holiday and you shut off your front light to prove it, then that is fine. As long as they understand that you are not deliberately trying to deceive them, you are there, you just won't answer the door. That's not deception, you are being honest.

Please, cool down.

I'm cool, but I am no liar. :blink: Thanks, Bib. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  217
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

One of our God given rights as human beings is the right to privacy,

Really? Could you please quote me chapter and verse from God's Word? I've never heard of the Right To Privacy in the Bible. I don't even think it's in the constitution. I would be very interested to hear your answer.

Well for one thing, you have to determine first off where rights come from. They do not come from the constitution, they come from God. Therefore, even if something is not listed in the Constitution does not mean it is not an inalienable right. The constitution, in the 9th Amendment says as much " "enumeration of certain rights" in the Bill of Rights "shall not be construed to deny or disparage other rights retained by the people."

The right to privacy runs through the entire bill of rights.

You have the privacy of personal beliefs (1st Amendment),

privacy of the home against demands that it be used to house soldiers (3rd Amendment), privacy of the person and possessions as against unreasonable searches (4th Amendment), and the 5th Amendment's privilege against self-incrimination, which provides protection for the privacy of personal information.

The Liberty Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment states that "No State shall... deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law." Liberty is freedom and has meant that it protects the right to privacy of parents to raise children as they see fit, to make decisions about whether to have children and of individuals to terminate medical treatment without interference (a privacy right).

The fact that the law forbids entry of a private dwelling without permission is an express declaration that there is a right to privacy. Otherwise people would be able to go in and out of your home any time they please. Notice I didn't mention stealing or damaging anything. If there is an intruder, he's breaking the law even if he's standing there breathing and not doing anything else. Here in SC we have the right to shoot those people, btw. We wouldn't have that right if there was no right to privacy.

As far as for a biblical defense of that idea, I could give one if I had enough time and if you really want to listen.

For the record, I did not say that not answering the door is a sin, or wrong. I was simply asking if decieving people by pretending you are not home is possibly a wrong action to take. That maybe there was something better that could be done?

:thumbsup: So sue me!

There is no deception going on Bib, that is what everyone arguing with you is attempting to get through your skull. You turn off the light and do not answer the door if it's knocked at. Nobody is yelling "I'm not home," nobody is telling their neighbours that they will be out that night, they just do not leave a light on and leave the door unanswered.

• Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

So do I answer the door when I'm feeding the baby?