• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

I am struggling with a few issues about the church, and this is something that has been weighing on me.

Sometimes it feels like there is so much pain and confusion that comes out of my faith and uncertainty about it. I'm wondering what it is about Christianity that makes people decide to convert.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I guess it's a lot of things...from what I've heard (in testimonies and the like), there comes a time when the knowledge of their NEED for God, for His forgiveness and strength, becomes obvious. But before then, they may be drawn by things like the attraction to the idea of a REAL and live-changing relationship with God, promises of healing and hope...things like that. Like I say, it could be a lot of things. When I think about my own testimony, I could never pinpoint a singular promise or anything that made me want to seek God...the Holy Spirit draws the right strings in a person's heart, and sets up the encounters they need. And, of course, there are God's people. I know, seems strange, especially if you're seeing a lot of wrong in the church...but God uses us anyway, as imperfect as we are. When I was on the road to salvation, there were some key Christians in my life of whom I thought "I want what they have!" And I'd been raised in the church, seen the good and the bad about it...but it's like for a time, the mental spotlight was on those few people who showed me what it was like to REALLY live for God.

:) It's a mystery, isn't it, how people still come to Christ when we fail so often? But God is powerful and still uses us somehow. What grace!

Have you read Philip Yancey's Soul Survivor? That's a good one for those times when we're feeling disappointed in the whole idea of church.

"where else would we go? Lord, you have the words of truth" - Peter

church is quite a different matter. If it becomes religion, it will consume you and steal the joy of your salvation

Try to find community with people who love God instead of going to church. Try trusting His Word instead of believing theology.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

I feel the same way some times. I'm a relatively new believer (2ish months), so my faith is still growing, obviously. It's just a matter of conquering that 'what if' nonsense in your mind. Your flesh is out to destroy you... but thank GOD we have a Helper... the Holy Spirit. Call on Jesus for comfort, remember how loving and amazing he was... I also find that the Answers in Genesis ministry helps a lot. It proves the Truth in terms of our world. Science, for the most part. So if you're a reader and like those kind of things, check it out. www.answersingenesis.org But don't get to engrossed by it- it's just a worldly thing. It can kind of detract from your focus on God.

As far as my conversion... I think what brought me around was a feeling that if there was a God, that I could finally feel okay... finally have Someone to really lean on. Someone that loves me more than I can imagine. I used to try and fill that gap with the girlfriend... but it just wasn't working. And baddabing, after some nasty freakouts, and a few talks, I asked and recieved. I let Jesus into my heart. Best day of my life.

I find that the best cure for worry and stress is to get an eternal perspective. To realize that your eternal life started as soon as you let Jesus in your heart. That this little life on Earth is gonna be short in comparison to the ETERNITY you have ahead. Just get in the habit of reassuring yourself the truths and ways God has clearly worked in your life. The Enemy will put that doubt in your head, because he wants you to be seperate from God, and oblivious to all the other people you could help lead to Jesus.

Just stay strong, keep praying and reading the Word. Some days are tougher than others... but you'll make it.

Yod's advice is very good as well. Try and find people who have their hearts and minds on fire for God.

Edited by pokemaughan

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

I am struggling with a few issues about the church, and this is something that has been weighing on me.

Sometimes it feels like there is so much pain and confusion that comes out of my faith and uncertainty about it. I'm wondering what it is about Christianity that makes people decide to convert.

Blessings Keilans, I would have to think that "the way you are brought up in life as a child plays a very important role in what you now believe for most. There are however, many out there I have come across who may have been brought up with great Christians morals and turned at some point against their beliefs and their God , but something normally causes the turn. Either a re-education of an opposed learning of knowledge as in College for example.

Without knowing of what specific confusion you are dealing with, it is difficult to assess, but I'm guessing you have been fed much of the atheistic views that press for tangible evidence of God's existence and the many fallible errors that Atheists claim to find in God's Word. It's enough to turn anyone into great confusion at some point. I'm just happy that God is dealing with your spirit right now that you know enough to humble yourself before us and God because that says buckets about your faith and the grace you will soon be receiving ! Hang in there. God's not done with you yet!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

It is wrong to advise people to do something other than find a good church. It is a command to meet together. The entire NT is written to churches, and all writers were major leaders of churches. God was speaking to churches.

Other things may be good, but they do not replace belonging to a body of believers who come together with one purpose: to fellowship, support, learn, exhort, minister and teach...and LOVE YOU.

In answer to Keilan---it is the nudging of the Holy Spirit that tells us that we are hearing truth. He convinces and convicts. Once it is received, there really is nothing else for you! It completely satisfies what was once a complete vacuum.