• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

For some reason I call people or try to get in touch with them but they dont do that with me. Even though my friends are all really good friends that I've had for years, even over a decade.. I really want to increase the level of our friendships and be even greater but there seems to be obstacles in the way and I dont get it.

Why dont people call me to see how I am doing or if we can do something together? There is one friend who calls me from time to time and we are like brothers but thats it.. Meanwhile I see others who have friends calling them all the time and they call them too. Perhaps is there something I am doing to make it like this?

There is one thing I did identify for why people might not like to get in touch with me so much and that is I follow this proverb so tightly.

1 Corinthians 15:33 "Do not be deceived: "Bad company corrupts good morals."

So.. I dont really keep in touch with some people because I dont want to be offending God if I turn out to be like them. Exclusivity. Sounds mean doesn't it? I found out that because of this I'm really no different from a snobby popular person.. but in a different way.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

I have always thought a " snob " was someone who looked down on others because they didn't measure up to their expectations.

Sounds to me like you are sticking to your principles. As long as you do so humbly, I would not worry about it.

:24:

:thumbsup:

It's Not Unusual

A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24

To Find One's In Love With The LORD Jesus

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. Deuteronomy 6:4-5

All Because He First Loved Us

We love him, because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19

It's Not Unusual

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Thanks everyone, I'm glad to know that I'm doing the right thing.. I'll just keep at it and God will work his righteousness.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

For some reason I call people or try to get in touch with them but they dont do that with me. Even though my friends are all really good friends that I've had for years, even over a decade.. I really want to increase the level of our friendships and be even greater but there seems to be obstacles in the way and I dont get it.

Why dont people call me to see how I am doing or if we can do something together? There is one friend who calls me from time to time and we are like brothers but thats it.. Meanwhile I see others who have friends calling them all the time and they call them too. Perhaps is there something I am doing to make it like this?

There is one thing I did identify for why people might not like to get in touch with me so much and that is I follow this proverb so tightly.

So.. I dont really keep in touch with some people because I dont want to be offending God if I turn out to be like them. Exclusivity. Sounds mean doesn't it? I found out that because of this I'm really no different from a snobby popular person.. but in a different way.

don't become easily offended just look for the Good, and enjoy life as it comes...

and know God is in control. :emot-pray:

Guest Janakin

You have to do what's right even if others don't/ the golden rule says do unto others as you would have them do to you not as they do to you. Yu do what you believe is right and if they are your true friends you will find out.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  1,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  4

Why dont people call me to see how I am doing or if we can do something together?...

Yeah I've kinda wondered about that myself sometimes since the same sort of thing happens to me quite often. I mean I go on various Christians forums, am very much used of God to encourage, instruct, or otherwise and for various reasons might end up disappearing and not a soul contacts me to find out whether I fell into a hole somewhere or died from a burp attack :24:. By the way I do not mean this forum at all - I have in mind other forums that I have been on.

Same sort of thing happens in real life generally speaking though when I first came to Canada from the US I had two friends from down South that kept trying to contact me for years - mostly around Christmas. Trouble was I didn't really want to be friends with them anymore :24:. They weren't really close friends. They just saw in me someone who accepted them as they were I guess and given that they didn't have anyone else around, apparently, to give them what I gave them in our friendship...well...they just kept contacting me.

So.. I dont really keep in touch with some people because I dont want to be offending God if I turn out to be like them. ...

Oh my...I better re-evaluate the relationships I have with many at a soup kitchen I go visit once in a while. Hmmm....let's see...I have several friends there...one is a devout atheist, another one calls God the big cahuna and is a spiritualist, another one hates anything to do with God (come to think of it he's not much of my friend either), another one constantly thinks someone is out to get him somehow and picks bottles for a living but he's a real funny guy, hmm...:24:.

Kinda of odd that I am on this forum with friends like that! LOL.

In all seriousness I think that verse hinges on the word "company". If I were to hang around with my soup kitchen friends on a daily and continual basis, if I was to allow their lifestyles into the part of my heart reserved for Christ, then yeah....their friendship would corrupt any good morals developed in me by a relationship with Jesus. I have felt that pressure from some of them sometimes. But although they are friends they are not real close friends. I have closer friendships with Christians over the Internet than I do with any of them. That's what counts I think. How close you are to those who we would consider bad company.

Sounds like you might be taking that verse a bit...well...as it was not meant to be taken.

Come to think of it...if Jesus, the holy Son of God, took the verse the way you seem to be taking it...well...I guess He would not have come to Earth and hung out with all them stinky, loud mouthed, and impulsive fishermen :emot-pray:. Or any of us for that matter.

Just a thought.

Carlos

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/26/1948

At least you have friends. At 60, I have no friends really. Not that i am not friendly. It is a matter of lifestyle and work...And my wife has friends. They call once in a while. I feel more in tune with her friends (female) than I would with man friends.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Why dont people call me to see how I am doing or if we can do something together?...

So.. I dont really keep in touch with some people because I dont want to be offending God if I turn out to be like them. ...

Oh my...I better re-evaluate the relationships I have with many at a soup kitchen I go visit once in a while. Hmmm....let's see...I have several friends there...one is a devout atheist, another one calls God the big cahuna and is a spiritualist, another one hates anything to do with God (come to think of it he's not much of my friend either), another one constantly thinks someone is out to get him somehow and picks bottles for a living but he's a real funny guy, hmm...:24:.

Kinda of odd that I am on this forum with friends like that! LOL.

In all seriousness I think that verse hinges on the word "company". If I were to hang around with my soup kitchen friends on a daily and continual basis, if I was to allow their lifestyles into the part of my heart reserved for Christ, then yeah....their friendship would corrupt any good morals developed in me by a relationship with Jesus. I have felt that pressure from some of them sometimes. But although they are friends they are not real close friends. I have closer friendships with Christians over the Internet than I do with any of them. That's what counts I think. How close you are to those who we would consider bad company.

Sounds like you might be taking that verse a bit...well...as it was not meant to be taken.

Come to think of it...if Jesus, the holy Son of God, took the verse the way you seem to be taking it...well...I guess He would not have come to Earth and hung out with all them stinky, loud mouthed, and impulsive fishermen :24:. Or any of us for that matter.

Just a thought.

Carlos

:24: Took the words right out of my mouth Carlos...And so did Joe, in his quote from proverbs.

A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24