• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

EricH -

The last thread about this book presented some concerns.

The one I recall the most is the portrayal of God the Father as an elderly woman and such like that.

What is your perspective on this?

That is an interesting question. Without giving too much away from the plot there is a reason God the Father initially appeared as a woman that centered on the main character. The problem is that we have no indications in scripture of God ever doing that (appearing as a woman). This creates a tension.

My guess is the message the author is trying to send here is God's willingness to incarnate Himself in a way that is meaningful for the people He is trying to reach. It fits the story very well, but there is no biblical precedent for this particular type of incarnation. So while it reveals a truth about God (His willingness to meet people where they are at), it does so in a way that has no Biblical examples or basis. That is the license fiction provides. Because it is fiction, the author has more license to portray truth in ways that are not as theolocially precise as some would like. If one is willing to get past some of the tension this creates, there are nuggets to be had.

If you think about it it also reflects the shock the incarnation must have been to those who encountered it initally. Portraying God as a woman helps us experience that shock at some level.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  692
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

"I AM" is what God is for all of us.

This sounds like an exact statement that Oprah made on her show one time. To me it sounds New Age.

I think our main objective to any reading should be to pray that God gives us discernment and go from there.

"I AM" is new age. Wow. Perhaps God's ability to be "I AM" doesn't fit into your box but God is so much more than we imagine that He is.

You need a healer. God says "I AM". You need a savior, God says "I AM". That's the context my statement was meant in and there is NOTHING new age about God being everything that I need.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,884
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

I have just completed reading The Shack.

I know several friends that have read this book and suggested I read it. Most of them have read it twice. I was on the first page, third paragraph in the Forward and I knew I would read it again lol.

I have talked to several who say it is not a good book, it is this and that, whatever (and these are people that have not read the book).

It is a work of fiction, period, but it also makes one think. The applications draw close to your mind and soul. Near the end, I knew exactly where this book was going, I had the author figured out, and I was completely wrong lol.

Again, it is a work of fiction, but not the Bible.

Somewhere on this thread it was mention New Age. Don't know where that came from, has nothing to do with New Age whatsoever. The I Am comment, that is God, Jesus; it is all through the Bible.

Anyone that has read the Left Behind books, can surely get through The Shack :noidea:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

ok why are 3 threads on the same topic pls this is major confusion

two in general discussion and one in controversial

can't you even agree to a thread wow

not impressive :blink::foot-stomp:

to reiterate..

here is a better way imo to get to the bottom of this... straight from the horse's mouth, the authors own story behind the whole thing rather than all the hoopla of opinions. Most enlightening.

http://www.crossroads.ca/index.html

Look in the archives, program #8219 and watch it for yourself. You won't be sorry you did.

One thing I have to say is a group of ladies I know used this book as a Bible study.. that is really stretching it.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,884
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

Sweet Lady,

I pulled up some threads on The Shack and just did a post. Most were started last year. I just read the book and finished it last night, and wrote my comments.

There are many threads on many topics, so nothing unusual.

My only comment is to read The Shack, if people have not read it, and then discuss it on threads.

As mentioned previously, I have seen so many comments on the boards of people that never even read the book. :foot-stomp:

ok why are 3 threads on the same topic pls this is major confusion

two in general discussion and one in controversial

can't you even agree to a thread wow

not impressive :blink::foot-stomp:

:24: Major confusion? Goodness there are dozens of threads on the same subjects, like prayer, the rapture and so on. It happens.

I posted this when I first heard about the book, not realizing others had posted on this subject.

i was going to read it. i intended to read it. but i just couldn't get very interested. if i'm still having a hard time staying awake by the end of chapter 3 it's time to pick up a different book to read.

okies I stand corrected glory and laura, i got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.. shoulda hit the wall side instead haha :foot-stomp:

okies I stand corrected glory and laura, i got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.. shoulda hit the wall side instead haha :crosseyed:

Awwww, no problem :6: