• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,840
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

Matthew 24:36

"But of that day and hour, knoweth no man, no, not the angels of Heaven, but My Father only."

Now I truly believe that Jesus is God. One of the Trinity. But I don't understand how He would not know certain things.

Anybody got any ideas regarding this?

And is this the right forum to ask this question?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Paraphrase from Geneva Bible notes.......

It is sufficient for us to know that G-d has appointed a time, but it is hidden from us, to protect us. We are to remain watchful and be prepared, so we will not be taken like those in the flood.

• Group:  Royal Member

Paraphrase from Geneva Bible notes.......

It is sufficient for us to know that G-d has appointed a time, but it is hidden from us, to protect us. We are to remain watchful and be prepared, so we will not be taken like those in the flood.

Thanks, but your post only addresses why we don't know certain times and events. But some translations of the verse include the words 'neither the Son, but the father only'

Guest Biblicist

I believe this is why he said that. Complete submission to God the Father.

Philippians 2

5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature God,

did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

7 but made himself nothing,

taking the very nature of a servant,

being made in human likeness.

8 And being found in appearance as a man,

he humbled himself

and became obedient to death

1) May I suggest a good study on a Jewish Wedding, betrothal period, etc...

2) What we find in a Jewish Wedding Ceremony and the betrothal period in short is that the Bridegroom chooses his bride, the bride to be comes over to the Bridegrooms Abba's house to check out the legal binding contract called the marriage contract. If the Bride agrees, then the parties enter into the legal binding contract by signing the document. Legally, they are married at that point, according to custom and tradition dating back to at least Avraham, Isaac, and Yaakov. The bride will go back to her Abba's house and wait for her Bridegroom to come for her.

3) The Bridegroom does not know the day or the hour whence he will go to get his Bride for it is the responsiblity of the Bridegroom's Father to tell his son when to go get his Bride. The Father's duty is to ensure that the son has prepared for his bride by making living arrangements or building the Bridal Chamber which was usually physically attached to the Bridegroom's Father's house by tradition.

4) When the Bridegroom was told he could go and get his Bride, tradition has it at the midnight hour. The Bride was to always be ready for her Bridegroom for she did not know when her Bridegroom was to come for her. She was always to have enough oil on hand to get through not just the night but through all the holidays, shabbats, double shabbats, etc. to ensure that she could be ready for when her Bridegroom came for her.

5) Also a suggestion for a good study. Study the Fall Feasts of the Lord, but the Feasts of the Lord in general for that will let you know when the season is upon us. THE Messiah will fulfill ALL the Feasts Completely in accordance with HaShem's Will. THE Messiah will come for His Bride in the Fall of the Jewish Calendar. Succot - Fall Harvest. When the harvest is ready, THE Messiah will come.[acronym="1) May I suggest a good study on a Jewish Wedding, betrothal period, etc...

2) What we find in a Jewish Wedding Ceremony and the betrothal period in short is that the Bridegroom chooses his bride, the bride to be comes over to the Bridegrooms Abba's house to check out the legal binding contract called the marriage contract. If the Bride agrees, then the parties enter into the legal binding contract by signing the document. Legally, they are married at that point, according to custom and tradition dating back to at least Avraham, Isaac, and Yaakov. The bride will go back to her Abba's house and wait for her Bridegroom to come for her.

3) The Bridegroom does not know the day or the hour whence he will go to get his Bride for it is the responsiblity of the Bridegroom's Father to tell his son when to go get his Bride. The Father's duty is to ensure that the son has prepared for his bride by making living arrangements or building the Bridal Chamber which was usually physically attached to the Bridegroom's Father's house by tradition.

4) When the Bridegroom was told he could go and get his Bride, tradition has it at the midnight hour. The Bride was to always be ready for her Bridegroom for she did not know when her Bridegroom was to come for her. She was always to have enough oil on hand to get through not just the night but through all the holidays, shabbats, double shabbats, etc. to ensure that she could be ready for when her Bridegroom came for her.

5) Also a suggestion for a good study. Study the Fall Feasts of the Lord, but the Feasts of the Lord in general for that will let you know when the season is upon us. THE Messiah will fulfill ALL the Feasts Completely in accordance with HaShem's Will. THE Messiah will come for His Bride in the Fall of the Jewish Calendar. Succot - Fall Harvest. When the harvest is ready, THE Messiah will come."]1) May I suggest a good study on a Jewish Wedding, betrothal period, etc...

5) Also a suggestion for a good study. Study the Fall Feasts of the Lord, but the Feasts of the Lord in general for that will let you know when the season is upon us. THE Messiah will fulfill ALL the Feasts Completely in accordance with HaShem's Will. THE Messiah will come for His Bride in the Fall of the Jewish Calendar. Succot - Fall Harvest. When the harvest is ready, THE Messiah will come.1) May I suggest a good study on a Jewish Wedding, betrothal period, etc...

5) Also a suggestion for a good study. Study the Fall Feasts of the Lord, but the Feasts of the Lord in general for that will let you know when the season is upon us. THE Messiah will fulfill ALL the Feasts Completely in accordance with HaShem's Will. THE Messiah will come for His Bride in the Fall of the Jewish Calendar. Succot - Fall Harvest. When the harvest is ready, THE Messiah will come.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

"But of that day and hour, knoweth no man, no, not the angels of Heaven, but My Father only."

Now I truly believe that Jesus is God. One of the Trinity. But I don't understand how He would not know certain things.

Hello Sweety Cakes:

Here in Matthew 24 Jesus is warning His disciples of the destruction of Jerusalem. This took place in 70 A.D.

The Bible tells us that God "prepared a body" (Heb 10:5) for Christ.. that is, God came into a body (in human form). While in this body, He was a little lower than

the angels (Psalms 8:5; Heb 2:7,0). In this state (human form) He may not have known all things. It was AFTER His resurrection that He ascended and was returned to His former Glory.

He did come back (70 A.D.) in the form of an army led by General Titus.

God destroyed the city & temple. God told them there wouldn't be one stone that wasn't overturned. He destroyed all their records, therefore the Levitical Priesthood

was lost. They will NEVER return as they were under David as a nation. Oh, yes, they call themselves Israel today, but there is nothing special about them, they are just like any other nation.

When you see the term "last days" in the N.T., it doesn't always mean the "end of time," but it may mean the "time of the end." The time of the end speaks of the end of the Jewish economy (Jewish Nation). There is a great difference between the end of time and the time of the end.

When you see phrases like "sun darkened, moon shall not give light & stars falling" don't think this is speaking of the end of time (end of the world), but is used (more than once) in prophetic language to tell you a government is fixing to fall. The heavely elements discribe the heads of a nation. For example, take a look at Genesis 37 where Joseph had a dream (Gen 37:9ff) of the of the sun, moon and stars bowing down to him. Later he discussed this dream with he dad (Jacob). Jacob rebuked him and told him,

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  09/20/1938

One commentary on this suggests that Jesus as man (still living His earthly life) did NOT know it, which seems quite reasonable, but that Jesus as God (i.e., back in eternity seated at His Father's right hand) certainly knows it.

There are many things about the Triunity and about God that we just cannot understand and/or know. They remain a mystery: God is so much greater than us, Isa 55:8, that we are as dust in His sight. The wonder then is that even as 'dust' Jesus died to save me and us! Wow!! The Triune God is another mystery. You cannot understand the concept of God as One in Three yet at the same time as three in One - just needs to be accepted!

Whenever I strike something about God that seems not able to be understood, I just say, "You are God! You are Almighty! You are way, way above me. I accept what Your Word says as truth, NOT necessarily seeking to understand what only You, as God, can understand."

That's always helped me.

- BM

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Hello Sweety Cakes:

Here in Matthew 24 Jesus is warning His disciples of the destruction of Jerusalem. This took place in 70 A.D.

The Bible tells us that God "prepared a body" (Heb 10:5) for Christ.. that is, God came into a body (in human form). While in this body, He was a little lower than

the angels (Psalms 8:5; Heb 2:7,0). In this state (human form) He may not have known all things. It was AFTER His resurrection that He ascended and was returned to His former Glory.

He did come back (70 A.D.) in the form of an army led by General Titus.

God destroyed the city & temple. God told them there wouldn't be one stone that wasn't overturned. He destroyed all their records, therefore the Levitical Priesthood

was lost. They will NEVER return as they were under David as a nation. Oh, yes, they call themselves Israel today, but there is nothing special about them, they are just like any other nation.

When you see the term "last days" in the N.T., it doesn't always mean the "end of time," but it may mean the "time of the end." The time of the end speaks of the end of the Jewish economy (Jewish Nation). There is a great difference between the end of time and the time of the end.

When you see phrases like "sun darkened, moon shall not give light & stars falling" don't think this is speaking of the end of time (end of the world), but is used (more than once) in prophetic language to tell you a government is fixing to fall. The heavely elements discribe the heads of a nation. For example, take a look at Genesis 37 where Joseph had a dream (Gen 37:9ff) of the of the sun, moon and stars bowing down to him. Later he discussed this dream with he dad (Jacob). Jacob rebuked him and told him, "shall I, your mother and brothers bow down to you?"

Here in prophetic language we see the sun, moon & stars represent the head of a house and family. You see these same phrases used in Isaiah and Ezekiel. In Isaiah & Ezk the language of sun, moon & stars represent a nation and that nation was over run by another nation that God used to destroy them.

I said all this to tell you, in Matthew 24 these terms are used to represent the leaders of Israel (mainly the Sanhedrin, & leaders of Israel) and Jesus is warning His disciples of impending destruction. The parallel chapter of Matthew 24, Luke 21:20ff says "...when you see Jersulaem surrounded by armies, you can know that destruction is near." Jesus is speaking of General Titus surrounding Jerusalem and destroying it. By the way, history tells us that the disciples had fleed during this time to a neighboring city.

I agree that when Jesus was walking the earth, he took on the form of human and left his divine glory in heaven. Walking this earth, I don't believe Jesus knew the exact day and hour.

With the statement about the other prophecies though, i.e. sun will be darkenend, moon will not give light, stars will fall, I'm not quite sure if those actually represents nations. I don't know if another thread should be started, but I'll make this quick to get back to the subject. The bible has always used different beasts and horns to represent nations. The prophecies about the the sun, moon and stars, many claimed were literal prophecies that were fulfilled, I want to say around the 1870s. But the sun actually didn't shine for about 12 hours, and the moon turned the color of blood the next day or night. Then there was a meteor shower like never seen before. These are facts that can be looked up in any past articles... you can google "the dark day" or something to that effect and it will give you the story.

I also think the "last days" and the "end of times" is one and the same. The last days were usured in since Jesus arrived on earth. We are the generation that Jesus talked about that will see all of His prophecies fulfulled in.

But I do think that Jesus in heaven now knows the day and the hour. We just need to be ready all the time.

• Group:  Royal Member

Oh, yes....I have no real problem with it myself....although I would be curious to know.

I know there are many mysteries that we don't understand, not only about God, but regarding just about anything.

The reason I asked is that somebody brought the subject up on another (non Christian) forum, and I thought I would go in search of answers. :emot-pray:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

Here is a short and to the point.

When JESUS was on the earth HE was not omnipotent, omiscient, or all knowing. HE operated within the confines of HIS earthlly tent and relayed information and power as it was given to HIM by the FATHER.

"The SON does only what HE sees THE FATHER doing" Thus, while HE was here as the physical representation of the spiritual GOD, HE was not the spiritual, but the physical. The spiritual was working through HIM and in HIM. Just as JESUS has promised us, that we would do the things HE had done, and greater things. For HE is in us working HIS FATHER's will.