• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/04/1953

If there is any Common Denominator that should draw people of different backgrounds together

you would think that Jesus Christ's death for us, and the Salvation He afforded us through His shed blood

would be the overwhelming Uniting Factor to those who accept His Sacrifce.

But, by and large, we worship in self-imposed compartments we call "churches," separated by color,

nationality, ethnic background, and race.

These things ought not to be. But they are. How did thy start? And how can we correct this?

How does this reflect on our worship of God? What message, if any, does it send to the unsaved?

Or, are any of you happy with this divided status quo, and why?

-Romans

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Honestly, I don't feel the individuality of churches is the problem so much as people's attitudes. Attitudes that say "the [insert name here] denomination is superior to those other denominations" or "our worship style is more perfect than yours" or whatever. Where I live ethnicity and race is actually not a major factor in most churches (though I know there are still many places where that is a problem)...there are some Chinese churches and whatnot where there are more of one particular race, but I think mostly that's because they offer services in their native languages.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

If there is any Common Denominator that should draw people of different backgrounds together

you would think that Jesus Christ's death for us, and the Salvation He afforded us through His shed blood

would be the overwhelming Uniting Factor to those who accept His Sacrifce.

But, by and large, we worship in self-imposed compartments we call "churches," separated by color,

nationality, ethnic background, and race.

These things ought not to be. But they are. How did thy start? And how can we correct this?

How does this reflect on our worship of God? What message, if any, does it send to the unsaved?

-Romans

How did thy start?

I think the worst division that occured/started was when the 'Gentile Church' separated from its 'roots' the Jewish Church' and then proceeded to slander them and persecute them, and refused to see 'one whole man in Messiah'. Any other divisions pale into insignificance...

And how can we correct this?

In these times, and after such shameful exhibitions, G-d in His mercy, and somehow in His timing, is making part of the mark of the true Church apparent in how they/we treat His people, believing Jews, religious Jews, Jews in general, and Israel...the window of opportunity is open, but at the same time strong persecution is rising, and there will be a cost to be paid.

How does this reflect on our worship of God?

In the past it has shown complete lack of understanding of the character and nature of G-d in relation to the people He first called out for Himself, to be a witness to the nations, and from whom the Law, the Prophets, the Writings, the L-rd the Church, the Apostles emerged, and the judgment has been evidenced throughout the ages..it was not without reason much of the Mediaeval Period was termed the'Dark Ages', as Jewish people continued to be persecuted, and the Roman and Protestant Churches killed, tortured and burnt each other but particularly Jews, all in the name of Jesus.

What message, if any, does it send to the unsaved?

What message does it send to anyone...it is horrific! Think over the centuries how many more people might have been saved if the Church served the L-rd and not demonic doctrines that established themselves and blinded people to the truth.

If you mean do I care whether there are Baptists of whatever specification, Methodists, Lutherans, Episcopalians, United Dutch Reform, Pentecostal, Catholic...nope, I do not care at all, and am happy to be with any group that has a slightly different tradition...the unifying factor is Jesus dwelling in them by the Holy Ghost...the fact is though that many groups that stand under the various banners are only actually playing 'Church'...many remain 'dead in their trespasses and sins', many are like old volumes of books untouched in their shelves...covered with dust.

From what I perceive the true witness of an assembly of G-ds people should include:-

1. Being full of the Holy Ghost

2. Love of the Jewish people, love of the Brethren

3. Helping the poor

4. Preaching the gospel

5. Devoted to the Scriptures

6. Constantly praying and fasting.

Guest HIS girl

You have to take into account peoples personalities as well.....whether we all followed a structured outline of service it would still vary from Church to Church simply because of the blending of personalities and ideas...... :39:

• 4 months later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  04/18/1979

Honestly, I don't feel the individuality of churches is the problem so much as people's attitudes. Attitudes that say "the [insert name here] denomination is superior to those other denominations" or "our worship style is more perfect than yours" or whatever. Where I live ethnicity and race is actually not a major factor in most churches (though I know there are still many places where that is a problem)...there are some Chinese churches and whatnot where there are more of one particular race, but I think mostly that's because they offer services in their native languages.

Maybe there is still hope for the Catholic vs. Protestant blood-feud ... *sigh*

What does it all boil down to if not "our worship style is more perfect than yours?"

:emot-hug::blink:

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

BINGO! I believe in the same thing. It's such a shame when one church says it's better than another and they keep pointing fingers at each other. Um, hello?? How is this going to help someone make the decision for Christ?

It happens TOO MUCH. Actions, speak louder than words. If someone gets saved and then all the sudden does a 360 in their lifestyle of course people are going to want to know why! But if nothing is seen happening in terms of transformation in the life of Church x that shows that kind of salvation other than high nosed snobbery and almost abusive rituals, they will go to another church. That's my opinion.. and opinions they are.

As for multi-culture churches. Truly, I belive a person would learn more going to one that speaks to them with understanding of the nuances in their culture and backgrounds. Sometimes when I go to an English church, I'm just not getting my needs met in understanding some of the cultural and family issues surrounding people from my country. I think it's good to keep country-of-origin oriented churches. It's not a problem that needs to be 'fixed'.