IGNORED

The problem with Prosperity teaching today....

Guest HIS girl

Guest HIS girl
is that we are being taught in the Church that prosperity is an end in itself.

This is probably too much of a generalization. I am not a properity theologian, but I have listened to some of them. None of the ones I have listened to indicate propertiy is an end in itself. They indicate is is part of the larger blessing offered by God as a result of salvation.

Of course there are the exceptions to the rule...

I have listened to sermons preached where it seems to be all about money and how God show's favour and approval on oneself by raining down money...this maybe true at some point in life for some reason but it's not to be THE focus of prosperity preaching..material provision is one are of full provision.

I guess some folks ARE anxious about the material side of their life and I can understand that - especially with the climate of the current global recession - but we are called to live Spiritaul lives and NOT being anxious for anything - which scares some people because it takes away THEIR control...God is our Providor in ALL areas - if we just concentrated more on obeying His Word and the Spiritual aspects of our walk and not focusing on what we can "see, feel' etc - it would make for a more satisfied Believer.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HIS girl

I was thinking - could we point to Matthew 16 v 26 as warning against the dangers of teaching a lopsided prosperity message? eg:material posessions/worldly prosperity.

Matt 16 v 26:

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?" - Jesus.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  163
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I was thinking - could we point to Matthew 16 v 26 as warning against the dangers of teaching a lopsided prosperity message? eg:material posessions/worldly prosperity.

Matt 16 v 26:

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?" - Jesus.

And also

Hebrews 13:5

Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, " I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,"

1 John 2:16,17

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passes away, and the lust thereof:

but he that does the will of God abides forever.

James 4:4

You adulterers and aldulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whosoever will be a nfriend of the world is the enemy of God.

Ecclesiastes 5:10

He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves abundance with its income. This too is vanity.

1 Timothy 6:10

For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Guest HIS girl

See it's the placing of power one gives to money that's incorrect. Money is a means of provision..it's not the provider ...

People collapse at the thought of not having money because power has been taken from them..the love of money is also the love of power money brings with it...which is totally mans doing - placing that power on it.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  10/06/1954

The only problem with prosperity is if we seek after it first

God has no problem at all releasing his prosperity and riches upon us, but as we receive them , they can cause us to trust in those riches and we then move away from God and forfeit our soul. However, if one keeps God first, seeks after God first he may find himself in great abundance, as God fully intends to show the world hat His kid's economy are blessed, while the world's economy faulters. Why? Because people will begin to ask, just what are you doing to sustain yourself in this crisis? How come things are going good for you?

Oh you would like me to tell you about where my prosperity comes from?

Let me tell you about my Jesus!

Jim

http://www.alloftheanswers.com

http://myspace.com/lampoilcansladder :thumbsup:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  342
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

its not an end in itself, its a beginning to a new kind of walk with God!

We are blessed to BE a blessing.

How can you help others financially if you arent financially ahead?

how can you help someone with ther emotional problems if your own relationships are in a mess?

How can you tend to the sick when your own body does not function in blessed healing?

we need to prosper so that we can have others prosper.

and we need to know Jesus and His word and promises in order to prosper.

i think half the problem is as soon as ppl hear "prosperity" they put up a negative wall and dont LISTEN to whats being said properly. instead, in their minds they are conjuring up opposing scriptures and ideas so that they dont have to face their weaknesses and the ineffectivness of their own walk with God. If someone else isnt benifeting from your salvation, your walk with God is stagnant. we are light of the world. we need to shine. and Prospering is all a part of that.

some ppl just need to face that Gods will is in God's word, and that poverty is not humility, and that sickness is not a life lesson. God has His word for that. The things that past churches has poisoned its people with is literally obsurd when you think about it practically and according to the word.

God is all about growth, expansion, blessing in every single area. His kingdom come.... on earth as it is in heaven? how is it in heaven? just think about that...then you cant deny that God wants us living well.

for our sake, and for the sake of others!

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

no material prosperity. its just spiritual and period.