• Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Any thoughts on this article?

Black Flight

African American churches leave the inner city for the suburbs.

Sarah Eekhoff Zylstra | posted 12/30/2008 08:39AM

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2009/january/8.13.html

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  376
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/30/1962

i dont know,, ive lived in poor neiborhoods ,,, i mean besides the small churches i mostly saw bars and liquor stores ,,, so the black churches are looking for a better place ,,, i see so does this mean that they are the same as the white churches now who do the same things ??? and whats with this thing about black churches ,white churches , korean churches ,chineese churches , like what up with that ??? like the seven churches in rev. of what ethnic back ground are they from ??? or mabe they have no ethnic back ground but are all C H R I S T I A N churches ,,, hmmm ,,, lets try this one on for size too ,,, hows this sound ,,, C H R I S T I A N C O M M U N I T Y S ,,, what a concept huh ??? no color no hatred no condemnation no finger pointing ,,,just christians ,,, christians who happen to be black ,,, christians who happen to be white ,,, christians who happen to be yellow ,christians who happen to be brown ,,, notice christian is the focus of attention ,,, the problem raised about the black community churches is not there problem ITS OUR PROBLEM and as long as the bottom feeder media mantains there focus on race (keeping us divided) as if we are responsable only for those in our color class <--- :noidea: ppl will believe it ,,, when the truth is that we are all decendents of adam and eve ,,, we all came from either shem or japeths line and we all are related ,,, can you imagine how it would be if cows thought like us :noidea: ??? i cant breed with that cow shes red and white :cool: what would my bull daddy think :laugh: ,,,one mind one body one savior aint that what is supposed to be ,,, just a thought

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

I grew up on the fringes of a ghetto.

I now live in a part of the city that is OK, not a ghetto and wouldn't even classify it as inner city, but the churches here suffer few attendees and very few offer services.

This article has helped me strengthen my decision to help, support and work with the pastor of my church(which is very near to where I live) in his efforts to start a community food bank

I posted a letter from a sister here on Worthy church describing the great results they had from doing this and our pastor feels he is being lead to do the same.

The article just describes what happens when people better themselves, but unfortunately is using that , IMO, to once again shed a poor light on Christians.

I agree with Arrow that the bottom feeding media in this country does it's best to keep racism alive, but also to put Christians in a bad light whenever possible.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10

:thumbsup: The article comes from Christianity Today.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  03/13/1964

not sure I understand the question...

• Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,580
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Birthday:  04/13/1960

I agree with Pastor Wilkins as he quotes:

"Pastor Wilkins said he does not begrudge those churches that get the chance to move into a better building in a safer environment, away from city centers. But he still needs their presence and their partnerships.

The church should be on the frontlines, fighting for better-quality education and intact black families, Wilkins said. "When we abandon our post, the Enemy will come through. The church is the wall of the city. If there is no wall, there the Enemy will come right through."

It is very sad that this happens. We can only pray that more homes will open for fellowship and that the Word of God reaches out to all regardless of a church or not. I have faith that God will send in courageous messengers to these cities with no structure to call home.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

The very idea of the Gothic Cathedral was (and is) to bring people away from ugliness, and into the beauty of a sacred space. If these churches can get people to leave their ghetto environment, and enjoy sacred beauty, and a feast for all their God-given senses, then they are doing a good work.

Anything of grace and beauty built in crime-ridden ghettos is soon the victim of vandalism, gang grafitti, and theft. A church which wishes to bring beauty to the Christians of these poor neighborhoods will either have to have 24 hour a day armed guards (and in respectable numbers, incidentally!), or they will have to build in safer environments.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

It is sad that churches are leaving where their people live. Even though some in these churches are from the suburbs, which is harder; someone who lives in the suburbs and drives to work in the city to get to church on Sunday in the city, or for someone who lives in the city and walks to church to find a way to get out to the suburbs to go to church. These churches are leaving behind those who need the church the most. They are "movin' on up" and leaving the poor, sick, and needy behind. This seems to be the opposite of what Christ did. I am not opposed to churches being in the suburbs, but I do not think a church should move to the suburbs to get out of poor inner-city. Churches should be located in the communities they serve, if they serve the community of the inner-city they should be in the inner-city, if they serve the suburbs they should be in the suburbs. If this exodus is taking place on a large scale, I guess it just provides more ministry for us who are willing to live in the inner-city.

• Followers:  10

The article reminded me of the movie steve Taylor produced, starring Michael W. Smith.

It's called The Second Chance.

if you can get the DVD, it's worth it!

Any thoughts on this article?

Black Flight

African American churches leave the inner city for the suburbs.

Sarah Eekhoff Zylstra | posted 12/30/2008 08:39AM

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2009/january/8.13.html

If some churches leave, then others will come. True disciples will go where serving is needed.

The Holy Spirit can handle this "problem"

btw...I can't stand Christianity Today. They run one of the MOST anti-semitic discussion forums you could ever find.