• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  196
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/15/1935

Zechariah 4:4-8 (New International Version)

4 I asked the angel who talked with me, "What are these, my lord?"

5 He answered, "Do you not know what these are?"

"No, my lord," I replied.

6 So he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty.

7 "What [a] are you, O mighty mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become level ground. Then he will bring out the capstone to shouts of 'God bless it! God bless it!' " ----------------!! :39:

8 Then the word of the LORD came to me:

The question dosen't seem to be answered, why??

As often in the N/testament Jesus didn't answer directly.

either.

Zechariah 4:5 (The Message)

5-7The Messenger-Angel said, "Can't you tell?"

"No, sir," I said.

Then he said, "This is God's Message to Zerubbabel: 'You can't force these things. They only come about through my Spirit,' says God-of-the-Angel-Armies. 'So, big mountain, who do you think you are? Next to Zerubbabel you're nothing but a molehill. He'll proceed to set the Cornerstone in place, accompanied by cheers: Yes! Yes! Do it!'"

This suggests to me that it's by the Holy Spirit that these things are discerned.

So if you don't have the Holy Spirit: as we know, you wont understand much that is God given.

How do you see these passages.????

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away:

for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Of sin, because they believe not on me;

Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. John 16:7-11

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Take a look a little further down in the passage. He does answer:

For who scorns the day of small things? These seven eyes of the LORD, which scan throughout the whole earth, will rejoice when they see the plumb line in Zerubbabel's hand." I asked him, "What are the two olive trees on the right and left of the lampstand?" And I questioned him further, "What are the two olive branches beside the two gold conduits, from which golden oil pours out?" Then he inquired of me, "Don't you know what these are?" "No, my lord," I replied. "These are the two anointed ones," he said, "who stand by the Lord of the whole earth."

Zechariah 4:10-14 HCSB

• 3 weeks later...

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away:

for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Of sin, because they believe not on me;

Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. John 16:7-11

><> Sorry mate but is this an answer to my questions.

For who scorns the day of small things? These seven eyes of the LORD, which scan throughout the whole earth, will rejoice when they see the plumb line in Zerubbabel's hand." I asked him, "What are the two olive trees on the right and left of the lampstand?" And I questioned him further, "What are the two olive branches beside the two gold conduits, from which golden oil pours out?" Then he inquired of me, "Don't you know what these are?" "No, my lord," I replied. "These are the two anointed ones," he said, "who stand by the Lord of the whole earth."

><> This suggests to me that it's by the Holy Spirit that these things are discerned.

So if you don't have the Holy Spirit: as we know, you wont understand much that is God given.

How do you see these passages.???? why aren't those question answered directly??

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.26
  • Days Won:  19

><> This suggests to me that it's by the Holy Spirit that these things are discerned.

How do you see these passages.???? why aren't those question answered directly??

Grace to you,

The question was answered. It is not easily discernable today because you would have to know the culture, symbolism, and context from which we are often far removed. :24:

Peace,

Dave

So you see it that is the normal or is it the spritual way of answering question. Ignoring the question & then leaving space for someone to think things through first.?????? Jesus often didn't answer directly???

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Zechariah 4:4-8 (New International Version)

4 I asked the angel who talked with me, "What are these, my lord?"

5 He answered, "Do you not know what these are?"

"No, my lord," I replied.

6 So he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty.

7 "What [a] are you, O mighty mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become level ground. Then he will bring out the capstone to shouts of 'God bless it! God bless it!' " ----------------!! :)

8 Then the word of the LORD came to me:

The question dosen't seem to be answered, why??

As often in the N/testament Jesus didn't answer directly.

either.

Zechariah 4:5 (The Message)

5-7The Messenger-Angel said, "Can't you tell?"

"No, sir," I said.

Then he said, "This is God's Message to Zerubbabel: 'You can't force these things. They only come about through my Spirit,' says God-of-the-Angel-Armies. 'So, big mountain, who do you think you are? Next to Zerubbabel you're nothing but a molehill. He'll proceed to set the Cornerstone in place, accompanied by cheers: Yes! Yes! Do it!'"

This suggests to me that it's by the Holy Spirit that these things are discerned.

How do you see these passages.????

This conversation starts out talking about two lampstands or seven-branched menorahs like the ones that were in the first temple. The oil in these lampstands flowed without the help of man because was doing it and represents the anointing. The mountain spoken of here is an obstacle and in my bible the word "plain" is used instead of the word "molehill" which like the word level ground is lower then a molehill. The molehill shows something and level ground shows nothing. God is saying that the mountain is nothing compared to Him but using the word molehill gives credit to that which has none.

I don't believe as you say that this question about the two lampstands is answered however I do believe that the lampstands, the olive trees, and the two olive branches in verse 12 are a reference to Rev. 11:3-13. It could be that it was not meant for Zachariah to know the answer because it is meant for us to make the connection. But that it was the responsibility of Zechariah write the vision down for us in the future.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.26
  • Days Won:  19

So you see it that is the normal or is it the spritual way of answering question. Ignoring the question & then leaving space for someone to think things through first.?????? Jesus often didn't answer directly???

Grace to you,

Jesus didn't answer non believers directly but He did the Faithful.

Granted sometimes the answer was not immediately discernable from their current perspective but the answer always becomes very clear. :thumbsup:

Peace,

Dave