• Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Holocaust-denying bishop 'silenced'

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

VATICAN CITY (AP) | An ultraconservative society recently rehabilitated by Pope Benedict XVI silenced one of its bishops Tuesday and distanced itself from his claim that no Jews were gassed during World War II.

Bishop Bernard Fellay, superior general of the traditionalist Society of St. Pius X, also asked for forgiveness from the pope for the "dramatic consequences" of Bishop Richard Williamson's comments.

The Vatican press office issued Bishop Fellay's statement as part of its own efforts to quell an outcry among Jews that Benedict had removed Bishop Williamson's 20-year-old excommunication, despite his views on the Holocaust.

Bishop Fellay said he has forbidden Bishop Williamson from speaking publicly about any historical or political questions and that his views "don't reflect in any way the position of the society." Bishop Fellay himself referred to the "genocide of Jews" by Nazis.

"We ask forgiveness of the supreme pontiff and all the men of good will for the dramatic consequences of this act," Bishop Fellay said.

Benedict rehabilitated Bishop Williamson, Bishop Fellay and two other members of the society last week as part of his efforts to bring the traditionalist society, which opposes many of the liberalizing reforms of the Second Vatican Council, back into the Vatican's fold.

Bishops Williamson, Fellay and the two other bishops were excommunicated 20 years ago after they were consecrated by the late ultraconservative Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre without papal consent.

Read the rest here

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  376
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/30/1962

that just blows me away ,,, ppl who denie the holocaust are just beyond my ability to understand ,,, my dads uncle was over there ,,, my cousin walt ,,,allen ,,, i mean i knew theses ppl ,,, and they are not liars ,,, first hand wittness told me what they saw ,,, useing bull dozers to bury ppl in mass graves ,,, i mean its documented ,,, denieing the holocaust is like saying that the trail of tears never happend

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

This Bishop has a screw loose.

Gen. Eisenhower demanded pictures, movies be made to document that horror.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

I read about this already. The man of which you are in discussion was mentally ill, if you read the Catholic site about this and the Catholic Church has never approved of what he said ; nor does it now.

This is not about being Catholic; it is about a person with mental illness.

In Gods Grace

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  376
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/30/1962

I read about this already. The man of which you are in discussion was mentally ill, if you read the Catholic site about this and the Catholic Church has never approved of what he said ; nor does it now.

This is not about being Catholic; it is about a person with mental illness.

In Gods Grace