• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.86
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Well my dad is on a business trip. I didn't hit a stop sign, that was a joke (i think). This is the first time I got into a real accident, otherwise I'm a good driver. I just want to have the car repaired and then I will tell him afterwards.

A picture you put in my mind ...

Dad - :24:

Blien - :ph34r:

Dad - :ph34r:

Dad and Blien - :ph34r:

Blien - :12:

Blien - :wub:

Dad - :39:

Blien - :18:

Now that is cool!! Good stuff.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/21/1957

Well my dad is on a business trip. I didn't hit a stop sign, that was a joke (i think). This is the first time I got into a real accident, otherwise I'm a good driver. I just want to have the car repaired and then I will tell him afterwards.

Dad - :shout:

Blien - :sneaking:

Dad - :shower:

Blien - :th_praying:

Dad - :sherlock:

Dad - :th_frusty:

Dad - :soapbox:

Blien - :thumbsup:

Dad - :foot-stomp:

Dad and Blien - :thumbsup:

Dad - :vader:

Blien - :cry_smile:

Dad - :unsure:

Dad - :consoling2:

Dad - :emot-hug:

Dad - :sad030:

Now that is cool!! Good stuff.

LOL!! I cant stop laffing!!! You remind me of the movie,"Ferris bueller", where they took that hot car, ran the miles up.( via a car parker) then tried to get the miles to go backwards, and the car went out the back of the garage!!

Shoot blien...Tell me another story!!! I might even send you a few dollars if it makes me laff like this one!!..And, dont worry.....You dad will get over it!!..OH YEH...THERES A GOOD CHANCE HE WONT NOTICE.....AFTER ALL HE SHOULDNT BE GETTING IN THE THE RIGHT SIDE ANYWAYS!!!( not yelling...just hit caps lock!) That means he should never see it!

I knew a guy one time who had a goat....and the goat smashed up his passenger side door, i suppose, because of seeing his reflection.....But he never knew it, until hw was showing his buddy his great deal,...and he said something like."Yeh, it only has a few dings in it"....Then his buddy said,"A few dings? it looks like youre gonna need a whole new side to this car!"(refferring to the goat dents)....The car owner bout fainted after seeing what the goat did!!

your friend,

john

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Dad - :shout:

Blien - :sneaking:

Dad - :shower:

Blien - :th_praying:

Dad - :sherlock:

Dad - :th_frusty:

Dad - :soapbox:

Blien - :thumbsup:

Dad - :foot-stomp:

Dad and Blien - :thumbsup:

Dad - :vader:

Blien - :cry_smile:

Dad - :unsure:

Dad - :consoling2:

Dad - :emot-hug:

Dad - :sad030:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it might be a better idea to let your dad know, and find out where he would rather have it repaired at, after all it is his vehicle.

now if he agrees to have it done at a lower rate place, then that is ok, but would give him first choice.

I believe you are on the right path, about restoring to the owner what was entrusted to you and having it damaged while in your care. you are to be commended for that.

you might do some shopping around to find out what different places offer and also what type of work they do.

from what you have discribed the repairs will take more then just a day or two. depending on the damage to the metal, it will either have to be cut out and replaced and then painted to match the cutting of the metal is not too bad, but welding it back in means a person has to dismantle all the interior stuff so that it dont burn.... then.... will have to be ground down and smoothed out, some puddy (or lead or other metal) will be used to finish the smoothing and then primed and then has to set (cure) then after the primer cures the color paint is applied, which then has to cure, and depending on the vehicle, to do an OEM style of paint, there may have to be a seal coat..... the cure time varies depending on the type of paint and the number of coats required.

one type of paint I have used used a flat base coat, which actually had three thin coats, with a light sanding inbetween, then came the "colour" coats, actually this was really a clear lacqure with really super small glass beads which, when i got done with that, took 10 thin coats with a very light sanding between each, just to get rid of any bubble or pit or ridge, then there was the wet sanding to polish up the paint, and then two coats of sealer, could have used more, but two got me going.

some paint may require 24 hours to cure. some only a few hours. some require heat added some dont.

we had our mini van (windstar, ford) repaired from an accident when it came in contact with another vehicle side to side, going the same direction. by the time the damage was repaired, it came to about four thousand dollars U.S. the damage was only on the front left fender, took one head lamp, cracked the grill, and knocked the alignment way way way out (wasting a New tire in about 40 miles driving it home) took three weeks to get it back. (metal flake midnight blue)

this may be a good reason to include the insurance, at least get some estimates. if you wait too long to notify insurance, they may become suspicious....

a young man i know, landed his car in a ditch, and then walked home, he ended up loosing the car (due to damage was more then he could afford) and then he ended up paying for a utility pole, that was never replaced, and the integrity of the pole is still in tack, as well as some land scaping cost (for a ditch along the road, drainage for rain water)

research the repair shops....

mike

FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS??????!!!!!!! That is ridiculous!! I PRAY I don't have to pay that much but I am just simply amazed here you had to pay that... really. That is like the cost of 2 brand new engines! Wow......

I don't want to notify the insurance because I don't want my Dad's rates to go up, that's the whole thing about it. If I can get it repaired and all at a reasonable price then I'll work and pay it off no big deal... I just hope its not $,4000....

For repair shops.. it looks like I am going to have to do some research, I don't want a horribly job done. Infact I am going to call the dealership he got the car from tomorrow for an estimate since that seems to me for the best place to go to. I want it to look brand new. I'll have all the other previous scuffs and marks repaired too if its affordable.

Thanks for the tips man, and also for the details on how to repair such damage. Really appreciate it!

LOL!! I cant stop laffing!!! You remind me of the movie,"Ferris bueller", where they took that hot car, ran the miles up.( via a car parker) then tried to get the miles to go backwards, and the car went out the back of the garage!!

Shoot blien...Tell me another story!!! I might even send you a few dollars if it makes me laff like this one!!..And, dont worry.....You dad will get over it!!..OH YEH...THERES A GOOD CHANCE HE WONT NOTICE.....AFTER ALL HE SHOULDNT BE GETTING IN THE THE RIGHT SIDE ANYWAYS!!!( not yelling...just hit caps lock!) That means he should never see it!

I knew a guy one time who had a goat....and the goat smashed up his passenger side door, i suppose, because of seeing his reflection.....But he never knew it, until hw was showing his buddy his great deal,...and he said something like."Yeh, it only has a few dings in it"....Then his buddy said,"A few dings? it looks like youre gonna need a whole new side to this car!"(refferring to the goat dents)....The car owner bout fainted after seeing what the goat did!!

your friend,

john

Hi John, thanks for the story.. I actually got gored by goat right under my chin when I was about 5 years old. I had stitches right under my chin.. my sister ran to me when she saw what happened and she got hit right where I got hit too! She also has stitches on her chin! hehe...

So the goat tore through the car or just put dents in it? I had a friend who had several dents because of hail and the body shop told her it would cost $20 per dent.. she told me this was cheap but it's really expensive if you ask me. Is that how much your friend paid as well??

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

your friend,

john

Hi John, thanks for the story.. I actually got gored by goat right under my chin when I was about 5 years old. I had stitches right under my chin.. my sister ran to me when she saw what happened and she got hit right where I got hit too! She also has stitches on her chin! hehe...

So the goat tore through the car or just put dents in it? I had a friend who had several dents because of hail and the body shop told her it would cost $20 per dent.. she told me this was cheap but it's really expensive if you ask me. Is that how much your friend paid as well??

hail damage dent repair is more like a paintless repair..... they use rods and such to repair ding or small dents from inside the panel.... the place here that does it, starts at about 35 bucks a dent..... takes about 15 - 30 min per dent, depending on the size and shape of the dent.

I had one in my tailgate of my truck, the only way you could see it was with the light going across the light would waver good, the total size was about that of the old IKE dollar... after they got done, even knowing where it was at, I could not find it.... and I watched them do the entire repair.....

the paint is going to be one of the larger factors in the repair. color matching is now done by computer. when our van was done, they took and cut about a 4 inch circle out of the old (messed up) fender and sent it in for a computerized match, and you can not tell the difference between the painted new fender and the rest of the vehicle.

mike

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/21/1957

your friend,

john

hail damage dent repair is more like a paintless repair..... they use rods and such to repair ding or small dents from inside the panel.... the place here that does it, starts at about 35 bucks a dent..... takes about 15 - 30 min per dent, depending on the size and shape of the dent.

I had one in my tailgate of my truck, the only way you could see it was with the light going across the light would waver good, the total size was about that of the old IKE dollar... after they got done, even knowing where it was at, I could not find it.... and I watched them do the entire repair.....

the paint is going to be one of the larger factors in the repair. color matching is now done by computer. when our van was done, they took and cut about a 4 inch circle out of the old (messed up) fender and sent it in for a computerized match, and you can not tell the difference between the painted new fender and the rest of the vehicle.

mike

Nawwww blien, I dont know what it cost for that guy..it was 20 years ago at least!LOL!!

your friend,

john

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

whats the status of the vehicle?????

mike