• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Hey Gang, I banged up my Dad's car today real good when I was at the underground parking lot at the local gym.. I wasn't driving fast, and I didn't hit any cars but I hit a column when I made to tight a turn... so now the back door on the right side has a big concave like dent in it with scratches to boot.

Do any of you have experiance on getting body repairs to your car? How much does the cost average? How long does the repair take? Do I have to leave the car overnight? Is there anything I should know when asking for repairs??

I noticed there is this one body shop called CARSTAR which is available also in the United States (I'm in Canada) has any you used them before? Are they good? Reputable?

Insurance reporting? Please dont tell me I have to tell them about this...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Didn't you run over a stop sign not long ago.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

That will all depend on how quick they can get the door, when they have an opening to do the work, how good their employees are and yes, you will have to leave it so they can paint it the right color. I know nothing about the company you mention.

Bummer man!

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

Hey Gang, I banged up my Dad's car today real good when I was at the underground parking lot at the local gym.. I wasn't driving fast, and I didn't hit any cars but I hit a column when I made to tight a turn... so now the back door on the right side has a big concave like dent in it with scratches to boot.

Do any of you have experiance on getting body repairs to your car? How much does the cost average? How long does the repair take? Do I have to leave the car overnight? Is there anything I should know when asking for repairs??

I noticed there is this one body shop called CARSTAR which is available also in the United States (I'm in Canada) has any you used them before? Are they good? Reputable?

with body repair, your going to get what you pay for......

even if the body work is taken care of pretty good, the paint job may be more important in the repair.....

some will just mask around all the trim work and sand it down a bit and then shoot it..... this will leave an edge that can later collect water (or moisture) and then cause it to start blistering or peeling.....

some times the insurance thing is the best thing. for one, it can be fixed and drivable faster then if a person has to wait until they have the money to fix it.... most places will not release the vehicle until....UNTIL.... all payments are received for the work done.....

with insurance, you will pay your deductible, and with some companies, you may not even have an increase for the first accident...... full coverage (comprehensive) is the only insurance that will cover your vehicle in a single car accident or one that is deemed your fault......

they also have a deal now, that when a car is repaired, it is listed with it's VIN so that any one wanting to purchase it later can access the information about accidents and such.....

now.... was there any damage at all to the pillar you hit? I remember this guy that had to get to K.C. airport early in the morning, so he took off and a few blocks down the road, hit an owl with his windshield, busted it good..... drove back home, got his wife to follow him to the shop, left a note to have the windshield repaired (explaining how it happened) and when he returned home from his business trip, was ticketed for leaving the scene of an accident and failure to render aid...... (no joke)

just something to think about...

mike

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/21/1957

with body repair, your going to get what you pay for......

even if the body work is taken care of pretty good, the paint job may be more important in the repair.....

some will just mask around all the trim work and sand it down a bit and then shoot it..... this will leave an edge that can later collect water (or moisture) and then cause it to start blistering or peeling.....

some times the insurance thing is the best thing. for one, it can be fixed and drivable faster then if a person has to wait until they have the money to fix it.... most places will not release the vehicle until....UNTIL.... all payments are received for the work done.....

with insurance, you will pay your deductible, and with some companies, you may not even have an increase for the first accident...... full coverage (comprehensive) is the only insurance that will cover your vehicle in a single car accident or one that is deemed your fault......

they also have a deal now, that when a car is repaired, it is listed with it's VIN so that any one wanting to purchase it later can access the information about accidents and such.....

now.... was there any damage at all to the pillar you hit? I remember this guy that had to get to K.C. airport early in the morning, so he took off and a few blocks down the road, hit an owl with his windshield, busted it good..... drove back home, got his wife to follow him to the shop, left a note to have the windshield repaired (explaining how it happened) and when he returned home from his business trip, was ticketed for leaving the scene of an accident and failure to render aid...... (no joke)

just something to think about...

mike

NOW THAT IS FUNNY!!!!!!....."STOP SIGN?????"

Did your dad notice yet?

I would say, "Tell your dad you never noticed it"......But thats not being honest...This was always my excuse when I was a kid!

your friend,

john

Didn't you run over a stop sign not long ago.

LOL!!! No I didn't! Where did you come up with that one Hahahaha!!

Well my dad is on a business trip. I didn't hit a stop sign, that was a joke (i think). This is the first time I got into a real accident, otherwise I'm a good driver. I just want to have the car repaired and then I will tell him afterwards.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

Well my dad is on a business trip. I didn't hit a stop sign, that was a joke (i think). This is the first time I got into a real accident, otherwise I'm a good driver. I just want to have the car repaired and then I will tell him afterwards.

A picture you put in my mind ...

Dad - :24:

Blien - :ph34r:

Dad - :ph34r:

Dad and Blien - :ph34r:

Blien - :12:

Blien - :wub:

Dad - :39:

Blien - :18:

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

it might be a better idea to let your dad know, and find out where he would rather have it repaired at, after all it is his vehicle.

now if he agrees to have it done at a lower rate place, then that is ok, but would give him first choice.

I believe you are on the right path, about restoring to the owner what was entrusted to you and having it damaged while in your care. you are to be commended for that.

you might do some shopping around to find out what different places offer and also what type of work they do.

from what you have discribed the repairs will take more then just a day or two. depending on the damage to the metal, it will either have to be cut out and replaced and then painted to match the cutting of the metal is not too bad, but welding it back in means a person has to dismantle all the interior stuff so that it dont burn.... then.... will have to be ground down and smoothed out, some puddy (or lead or other metal) will be used to finish the smoothing and then primed and then has to set (cure) then after the primer cures the color paint is applied, which then has to cure, and depending on the vehicle, to do an OEM style of paint, there may have to be a seal coat..... the cure time varies depending on the type of paint and the number of coats required.

one type of paint I have used used a flat base coat, which actually had three thin coats, with a light sanding inbetween, then came the "colour" coats, actually this was really a clear lacqure with really super small glass beads which, when i got done with that, took 10 thin coats with a very light sanding between each, just to get rid of any bubble or pit or ridge, then there was the wet sanding to polish up the paint, and then two coats of sealer, could have used more, but two got me going.

some paint may require 24 hours to cure. some only a few hours. some require heat added some dont.

we had our mini van (windstar, ford) repaired from an accident when it came in contact with another vehicle side to side, going the same direction. by the time the damage was repaired, it came to about four thousand dollars U.S. the damage was only on the front left fender, took one head lamp, cracked the grill, and knocked the alignment way way way out (wasting a New tire in about 40 miles driving it home) took three weeks to get it back. (metal flake midnight blue)

this may be a good reason to include the insurance, at least get some estimates. if you wait too long to notify insurance, they may become suspicious....

a young man i know, landed his car in a ditch, and then walked home, he ended up loosing the car (due to damage was more then he could afford) and then he ended up paying for a utility pole, that was never replaced, and the integrity of the pole is still in tack, as well as some land scaping cost (for a ditch along the road, drainage for rain water)

research the repair shops....

mike

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  179
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

The accident may not be funny, but OneLight's post is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved it!!!!!! Where did you get all of those great smiley's? Thank you, thank you!!