• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  692
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

Yesterday when I got home, there was a letter addressed to me and my husband from a name and address I didn't know. I was puzzled by it but opened it, assuming it would be a distant relative or something like that.

It was from a total stranger who got our name off a memorial website. I had posted condolences to the family of a soldier who died in Fallujah back in 2006. They aired the story about this young man (23) on CNN and gave the website where you could post. There are thousands of postings on that site. I gave no thoughts to putting our names and city, even though its a small town and we are easy to find (address and phone number) because we are the only ones with that name in this city.

I started my post to the family saying that I had seen the story on CNN. I then told the family that words were never adequate to say to someone who has lost a child, but that our thoughts and prayers were with them and that we prayed God would give them peace that passes all understanding and strength during this difficult time.

This stranger writes to me and says she is sorry for the loss of my friend (said I saw it on CNN) and proceeds to tell me that if we ( I guess she means USA) would do something about the wars that these senless deaths would stop.

Then she goes on to tell me about God, reading the Bible and that having a relationship with God is the only way I will get over losing my friend.

Now for the kicker. She encloses a tract from the Watchtower (Jehovah Witnesses)

So here is the question....would you respond or not? I didn't feel anything in my comments would give someone the idea that I didn't know God and that I knew this person. AND, this is nearly three years later. The whole thing sorta puzzles me.

Would you respond and if so what would you say???

Not sure how or if I should do anything. What do you think?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Sure ... why not? This maybe an opening for you to tell her the truth about God, Jesus and salvation. You could start by explaining to her of her error and thanking her for her time. Allow the Holy Spirit to give you the rest and maybe, add a tract of your own.

Just my 2

Sure ... why not? This maybe an opening for you to tell her the truth about God, Jesus and salvation. You could start by explaining to her of her error and thanking her for her time. Allow the Holy Spirit to give you the rest and maybe, add a tract of your own.

Just my 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

glorywatch, if you do feel led to respond to this, which btw, I would not advise, but still could prove harmless enough; just please be aware that JW's are extremely brainwashed and unless God opens her heart and mind to the truth of anything you might share with her in that regard, she will just automatically trash it. They believe they are the only ones saved and everybody else is on the pathway to hell. It's really tragic actually what cults do to people... total and complete bondage.

Posting anything on the web isn't as secure as people think. There has just been a news release about facebook and the implications of the changes there are something that folk should pay close attention to. I have never felt comfortable about getting too personal on the web although I believe sites like this are protected because they are owned and operated by realtime Christ Followers.

Just my loonies worth .. :rolleyes:

glorywatch, if you do feel led to respond to this, which btw, I would not advise, but still could prove harmless enough; just please be aware that JW's are extremely brainwashed and unless God opens her heart and mind to the truth of anything you might share with her in that regard, she will just automatically trash it. They believe they are the only ones saved and everybody else is on the pathway to hell. It's really tragic actually what cults do to people... total and complete bondage.

Posting anything on the web isn't as secure as people think. There has just been a news release about facebook and the implications of the changes there are something that folk should pay close attention to. I have never felt comfortable about getting too personal on the web although I believe sites like this are protected because they are owned and operated by realtime Christ Followers.

Just my loonies worth .. :rolleyes:

Sweet~lady, you just voiced some of my concerns for posting on the web, but I made an exception for this fallen soldier and never gave it another thought. There must be over 1,000 postings on his memorial. I do so appreciate your thoughts on this.

I understand completely about JW"s. I wanted others opinions on this because it helps to put things into perspective, but the bottom line is, I will only do what I feel the Holy Spirit leads me to do. Again, thanks for your opinion!

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

I would considder this a " form letter " response. She or they obviously didn't read and understand your posting. Your info was just thrown into the mix and this is a new way for folks to evangelize.

Forget it and throw it in the trash...if you respond, in a short while they will be knocking at your door.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I would considder this a " form letter " response. She or they obviously didn't read and understand your posting. Your info was just thrown into the mix and this is a new way for folks to evangelize.

Forget it and throw it in the trash...if you respond, in a short while they will be knocking at your door.

Ooohh, personal contact! Are you up for the challenge? I have enjoyed planting seeds in both Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons when they come to visit, as long as I am not busy and can dedicate the time.

Ooohh, personal contact! Are you up for the challenge? I have enjoyed planting seeds in both Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons when they come to visit, as long as I am not busy and can dedicate the time.

Hunter, thank you too. Another reason why like to get feedback.

Onelight, yes it would be great, but honestly I don't think I am up to the challenge right now. Much like some of the things you posted, my family has been through ALOT these past three months. I sorta feel wrung out if you know what I mean. I could write a letter easy enough, but one on one....not at this time.

well then i am praying for you and your family even harder just so u can feel refreshed in the spirit and in mind as well!!!

lv yr sis in christ

manie

Manie, thanks :whistling:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Actually I want to edit something I said.. I stated that JW's believe that they are the only ones that are saved. I want to correct that... they believe that they are the only ones going to heaven and even then they only have a "hope so" view of that because they don't believe that we can know for sure that we are saved! Of course they can't be saved because they don't believe that Jesus is The Son of God come in the flesh and unless I read my Bible wrong, that is antichrist spirit! I would steer clear glorywatch. You have to really know that God is leading you to respond and try to reach them, because in most instances they just want to promote their doctrine and will listen to you only to reinforce their views somehow, anyway they can. I admire those that do and I personally have been led to speak to them very rarely but it has happened. Mostly, you have to maintain the upper hand when you encounter brainwash! And if you are not up for that then you will just be wasting your time.

Thanks for listening. God Bless! :noidea:

His Love and mine,

Wanda aka sweet~lady

Ps. It's supposed to be a given for all Christ-Followers that we are to be led of the Holy Spirit in everything we do so in my opinion, for me to tell you that would be a no-brainer. My job as your sister in Christ is to raise red flags when appropriate and just cause awareness of things to the best of my ability. As somebody already said in response to you, this whole thing was probably automatically generated somehow into JW database; more than likely purposely driven and taken from there. As you are well aware they are very aggressive in their approach to making adherents to their cult religion.