IGNORED

Is Hell a Literal Place, Figurative, or Both?

2bba

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Jesus Himself, demonstrated on the cross that the emotional pain of being seperated from the Father was more painful to Him than the physical torment He experienced.

Thank you Lord Jesus, that through you we have no longer the fear of being seperated from our Heavenly Father. Amen.

eric.

Good point Eric, also think about Satan, who is a spirit, is said to be in the Lake of Fire, being "tormented day and night forever and ever" (Rev. 20:10). We should not suppose that his "spiritual" torment is less severe than any "physical" torment.

The word "hell" does not always refer strictly to the "afterlife" state. Often times it has application to the judgment of people on Earth. For instance, in Matt. 11:23; Lk. 10:15, Jesus said of the city of Capernaum, "You

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

Revelation 20

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/05/1955

I had forgotten about the Lake of Fire. This changes the whole thread then. Is the Lake of Fire mentioned anywhere else in scripture, by any other description. I looked briefly and could not find any other description. Wow.

Hello 2bba :D

The whole point of my post was to simply say that it does not matter what Hell is or its perminance or tempory nature or weather it is hot or dark. The point is the Lake Of Fire is real and those that are cast into it will be tormented forever and ever.

Hi 2bba :il:

I agree with the motivational factor that the lake of fire can be to get a silent Christian to open up with the Word to others No matter what the cost. But the funny thing about the lake of fire (well funny maybe not the right word maybe ironic is better) is that the people who most need to be concerned about it think its a joke or a silly fable and those that believe in it and are worried about it usually have nothing to worry about.

That brings me to the question of the effectiveness of fire and brimstone preaching?

While i am not against it i see it as a last option when all else has failed. I feel that many fire and brimstone preachers cause many to turn away from the Message of Jesus when they only use fire and brimstone in their witnessing. what do you all think?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/05/1955

I agree with the motivational factor that the lake of fire can be to get a silent Christian to open up with the Word to others No matter what the cost. But the funny thing about the lake of fire (well funny maybe not the right word maybe ironic is better) is that the people who most need to be concerned about it think its a joke or a silly fable and those that believe in it and are worried about it usually have nothing to worry about.

That brings me to the question of the effectiveness of fire and brimstone preaching?

While i am not against it i see it as a last option when all else has failed. I feel that many fire and brimstone preachers cause many to turn away from the Message of Jesus when they only use fire and brimstone in their witnessing. what do you all think?

Adstar

It is ironic that those who need to know consider it a joke or fable. But as a Christian I don't worry about the Lake of Fire for myself, but it motivates me to think of the ones who do think it is a joke or fable.

Fire and Brimstone preaching kept my step-dad out of church all of his adult life. It was difficult for him to even go in one for a wedding or funeral. He was not the stereotypical step-father but a kind, joyful, and tender hearted man. I have no doubt that he was saved, but he ONLY heard that kind of preaching in the very small town where he was raised, and was forced to go to church while at home to the same preaching every Sunday.

On the other hand I like to hear it once in awhile myself. I think a preacher should preach and teach the whole bible, and the message should usually center on salvation through Christ.

Yes balance is the key :il: the whole message is important :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mel2

As to the reality of hell, scripture projects this light:

Revelation 20:10

10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Revelation 20:14

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 20:15

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Rev 19:20

20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Note: Please notice that the beast and false prophet cast alive into a like of fire....

Do they not spring up from the underworld to start with...If this is the way of it, then they were called up from the wicked dead to start with...and that would be why they are cast in the the eternal lake of fire ...alive...because they had already died before...

The lake of fire represent eternal separation from God and his mercies....forever...without hope of escape....ever....

Yes, our Lord himself testifies to the truth of hell and the lake of fire....

In the love of Christ Jesus,

Mel2

• Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Jesus Christ Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Hell is a very real place. Four times I have been there. It is far worse than the imagination can conceive of, even with the horrible biblical descriptions to project from.

Tell one and all: YOU DON'T WANT TO GO THERE FOR EVEN A MOMENT......

With a blessing,

Leonard, a sinner

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/07/1964

Did you know that Jesus spoke about hell 2 times as much as he did heaven?

I think he did because he created it and doesn't want people there.

Leonard, could you tell us about those experiences? :t2: I think we need to hear it.

In his love,

Brian

• Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Friends, I generally do not talk about it, because the recollection sends my body into a violent shock, and I always spend days ill after the telling. I hope that's enough to convince any doubters.......