• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1987

Jesus said in the New Testament that we're supposed to love everyone and show love. How do we do this since it is impossible to love EVERYONE? we're always going to meet people we don't like. (For example: murderers, thieves)

Guest ReflectionsofHim
Jesus said in the New Testament that we're supposed to love everyone and show love. How do we do this since it is impossible to love EVERYONE? we're always going to meet people we don't like. (For example: murderers, thieves)

We are not commanded to LIKE everyone and it is o.k. if you don't "like" someone, but we ARE commanded to love one another. Jesus pointed out and asked what blessing is there in loving only those that love us? That is easy to do! Ask the Lord to show you how to see through His eyes. He loves all of us without favortism and very, very much. It isn't easy to love our enemies...you are right!!! But ask for the eyes and heart of God with which to love and see others and I think you will see what He feels for ALL of us. :)

Love to you through our Jesus!

Ref

:hug:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  557
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  09/21/1976

If we develop a love which is of God, our Love goes past the boundary of not liking people, we love, those who are hard to like, that means we like them, yet in the love I am speaking of is also of necessity sometimes, power which makes us do things to chasten people, because they are evil, and so sometimes in chastening, there is a not liking, yet with love involved.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

We become easily confused by the word, "love". The word has several meanings.

One kind of love comes from the word, "eros" or erotic/sensual love.

Another love is agape love...an unconditional love which is the love with which God loves us.

To understand this better, consider the fruit of true love:

Love is patient. Love is kind. Love never seeks it's own way. It's not rude or unmannerly. It never expects the worst of someone...but is longsuffering.

Read 1 Corinthians Chapter 13. It will give you a wonderful understanding of God's love for us and how we should love others, even the most unlikable.

Love is a verb, not an emotion.

Guest LadyC

amen cats, love IS a verb!!! too many people think it's a noun or an adjective!! there used to be a song about that... "loves not a feeling, oh we've got to learn, it's a gift, there's no emotion to the meaning of the word"... anyone remember that tune?

anyway, i think i can put it in really easy to understand terms. even when you don't like someone, you can't stand the sight of them, the vast majority of us would be unwilling to cause harm to them because we have compassion... we have empathy... we care about them for the basic fact that they are human beings and deserve to be treated as such. right?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

No matter how much someone may be unlovable, and you just don't like them, don't you still have hope for their eternal soul, that they will know Christ? To me, that is the difference. :)

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I believe love is an action -- a verb as well as a noun.

I believe we can express love by our actions apart from our emotions.

But is only possible with those who are receptive.

If a murderer came to me with an open mind I would tell him about the love of Jesus

• Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

I believe we can express love by our actions apart from our emotions.

But is only possible with those who are receptive.

hal: You're half right...we DO express love by our actions but it isn't contingient on what another person does or fails to do.

We love regardless of their response. If they slap you on one cheek, offer the other. If they ask you to walk one mile, go two.

We love regardless of their response to us. We cannot control how they respond to us; we can control how we respond to them.

If they despise us, we love them anyway.

If they spit at us, we show forgiveness.

If they mistreat us, we respond in kindness.

If they take our sweater, we offer our jacket as well.

If they borrow, we ask nothing back.

If they wrong us, we forgive...unconditionally.

We are not responsible for how they respond; only how well we obey God.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

I think you are confused about what the "Love" that is being refereed to in the bible is. It is not the love that is derived from admiration of the other or a love that is to be earned by doing good for another. For that type of love is held and expressed by all peoples of this world believers and non believers.

The type of love that the bible is talking about is the unearned love that Jesus extends to sinners to those that fight against His Word "forgive them Lord for they do not know what they are doing"

Jesus said:

Matthew 5

"46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect."

When we have this love we care for the eternal destination of all men, Even though they may be the most obnoxious people alive. Remember if one has been forgiven their sins and are accepted and loved by God even though they are not perfect, should not that one also extend love to other imperfect beings? What are we if being forgiven and loved by God turn around and withhold the same type of love to others. The Lords Prayer does not include the following line for nothing.

"forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us"

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/05/1955

Anti-Christ said that we're supposed to hate everyone and show hate. How do we do this since it is impossible to hate EVERYONE? we're always going to meet people we like. (For example: missionaries, preachers)

Thought I would throw in a different perspective. :rofl: