• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Interesting replys, and I am glad that the idea of tithing of our time has been brought up as well, because that certainly is part of it.

Personally, I tend to resist the idea of the 10%. It seems to me to push this idea that as long as you give 10%, you're covered. You know, like that satisfies God, and then you're free to do what you wish with the rest. I like C.S. Lewis's take on it, which if I recall correctly, pretty much says that if you're not hurting from it, then you're not giving enough.

On the other hand, rationally speaking, we can't just give everything away. God tells us to be good stewards of what we have, which I think means don't give everything away so you have to take out a loan to pay the rent. Which kind of brings me to my opinions on loans, which is that they should be avoided if at all possible. Debt is demoralizing and can very easily lead to poor financial stewardship, and an obsession with money. I personally would rather drive a $1500 beater that I've paid for, than know that I'm $30,000 in debt because of my brand new sports car.

Just my two cents anyways. And of course I believe giving of your time is also important. A relationship with God could be seen as a relationship with a child (in terms of giving anyways, not in terms of who is telling who what they should be doing). You can't just throw money at it, time is needed to. And I think that if you take the time to build the relationship, the desire to give as much as you can will follow.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

Interesting replys, and I am glad that the idea of tithing of our time has been brought up as well, because that certainly is part of it.

Personally, I tend to resist the idea of the 10%. It seems to me to push this idea that as long as you give 10%, you're covered. You know, like that satisfies God, and then you're free to do what you wish with the rest. I like C.S. Lewis's take on it, which if I recall correctly, pretty much says that if you're not hurting from it, then you're not giving enough.

On the other hand, rationally speaking, we can't just give everything away. God tells us to be good stewards of what we have, which I think means don't give everything away so you have to take out a loan to pay the rent. Which kind of brings me to my opinions on loans, which is that they should be avoided if at all possible. Debt is demoralizing and can very easily lead to poor financial stewardship, and an obsession with money. I personally would rather drive a $1500 beater that I've paid for, than know that I'm $30,000 in debt because of my brand new sports car.

Just my two cents anyways. And of course I believe giving of your time is also important. A relationship with God could be seen as a relationship with a child (in terms of giving anyways, not in terms of who is telling who what they should be doing). You can't just throw money at it, time is needed to. And I think that if you take the time to build the relationship, the desire to give as much as you can will follow.

Well, Keilan... you only have 2 cents cause you got that $30,000 brand new sports car!! :45::24:

Gifting

Two To Trample Upon Pride And To Rain Upon Strut

"But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:"

Matthew 6:3

And To Discourage Grubby Little Fingers

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

Matthew 6:33

And Two Just For

"Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver."

2 Corinthians 9:7

The Pure Joy

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones."

Proverbs 17:22

Of It

>>>>>()<<<<<

The Law

In For Penny, In For A Cow, IMO

"Only the firstling of the beasts, which should be the LORD's firstling, no man shall sanctify it; whether it be ox, or sheep: it is the LORD's."

Leviticus 27:26

And A Question....

If We Could Change "The IRS" Or "The CRA" Into "The Levities"

"But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance."

Numbers 18:24

Does This Mean We'll Only Need To Send Them 10% A Year?

>>>>>()<<<<<

It Is A Great Joy To Help To Support Another Brother Or Sister In The Lord's Work

Knowing Our God Gave It All To Us In The First Place

So We Can Give It Back With Joy Saying

Guess What I Got For You Daddy!

Guess! Guess!

:24::24::24:

"And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father."

Galatians 4:6

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Well, Keilan... you only have 2 cents cause you got that $30,000 brand new sports car!! :24::blink:

:24: :24: :laugh:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

Someone pointed out an interesting thought . . . and I'm not sure what the counter to it would be.

When the Lord commanded the tithe, it was to be 10% of the fruit of your labor, not 10% of your income.

Responses?

This seems to have gone unanswerd so i thouht i would, and get closer to that 100 post mark, :24:

I would say they are essentially the same thing as money is only a representation of labour of something. But i wouldnt take 10 % of my flower garden and pot plant growth to the storehouse.

Its good to give to others in need, but the tithe needs to come into the storehouse. Would you go to your local sports club and refuse to pay your subs needed to keep it going?

If a person does not like the way those in authority are using the tithe they should take it up with God first and then as directed. But can it be ok to enjoy the comforts of shelter and seating etc and not tithe. What about missions and outreach, can the church go forward when its members tithe when they feel its right.

Surely no business could get by on such terms, and like it or not the fianances of the church are affected also.

Its not right to expect the fianances to miraculously appear when God has already given us a practical way. Yes believe for the miraculous provision too, but dont seek God where suuficient light is given already. Thats my take on it.

And yes give more or less according to your faith, mines only been at 10 % for awhile now, might be time to believe for more. Was it Mullier who ended up living on the 10 % and giving back the 90 % ? Thats great faith.

Guest LadyC

JC, you're right, the tithe should be for the storehouse. and outreach ministries are part of the storehouse, i would think. on those little white tithing envelopes (ours at least) has a place for tithe and a place for benevolence... ie the storehouse/outreach/ministries/etc.

i know the church has expenses and the pastor earns a salary from tithes, and i have no problem with that. but i tend to tithe at least half of what i give to the benevolent fund.... because they don't use any part of the "tithe" for the "benevolence". it's kept separate, which is not biblical.

Hi LadyC :24: Do as our coscience leads, but sometimes our conscience needs upskilling. :24:

:thumbsup: just my imagination running away with me.

But the basis for it is in where Paul says the vegetarian has a weaker conscience. Id better find it now, post it soon.

This is why we cant put our trust in a clear conscience alone, but need the word of God and the body of Christ.

As we know also that people can sear (seal by burning, resulting in hard scar tissue), their conscience and no longer hear God.

:thumbsup: just my imagination running away with me.

But the basis for it is in where Paul says the vegetarian has a weaker conscience. Id better find it now, post it soon.

This is why we cant put our trust in a clear conscience alone, but need the word of God and the body of Christ.

As we know also that people can sear (seal by burning, resulting in hard scar tissue), their conscience and no longer hear God.

Rom 14:2 For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is WEAK eats only vegetables, KJV.

Think i stretched that one abit, its talking about a weak faith, but i think its still possible to say their conscience is weakened as well.

Corrections anyone ?