• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

Islam is a cult; much like the Branch Davidians, the Moonies and the Scientoligists. :emot-highfive:
So what part of the definitions of "religion" did you disagree with to say that Islam is not a religion? I do understand that you have a very personal dislike of Islamic beliefs, but simply stating that they are a cult does not in any way address the debate.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree that Islam shares many of the features of a cult, and suspect that the main reasons why it is considered a major religion are passage of time and number of followers! :emot-highfive:
Considering that one of the key definitions of a "cult" is the number of worshippers that is a little problematic. A cult can often be described as a set of beliefs that contradict the status quo. Therefore what constitutes a cult can often be dictated by the prevailing beliefs of the time. When 1/6'th of the world (approximately 1.1 billion people) follow Islam, it cannot be considered as part of a "cult" - the numbers do not permit such a definition.

Defining anything as a "cult" is problematic, for more reasons than I have shared. It would be good to find a definition of "cult" that we can all agree on before making such statements. We already have a codified definition of "religion", and despite Islam fitting every one of the seven points in my dictionary some have dismissed it without any real alternative explanation....

~ PA

Islam, you can call it a cult, or you can call it a religion, what difference does it make?

Evil is evil.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  223
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/08/1969

I have to agree that Islam shares many of the features of a cult, and suspect that the main reasons why it is considered a major religion are passage of time and number of followers! :noidea:
Considering that one of the key definitions of a "cult" is the number of worshippers that is a little problematic. A cult can often be described as a set of beliefs that contradict the status quo. Therefore what constitutes a cult can often be dictated by the prevailing beliefs of the time. When 1/6'th of the world (approximately 1.1 billion people) follow Islam, it cannot be considered as part of a "cult" - the numbers do not permit such a definition.

Defining anything as a "cult" is problematic, for more reasons than I have shared. It would be good to find a definition of "cult" that we can all agree on before making such statements. We already have a codified definition of "religion", and despite Islam fitting every one of the seven points in my dictionary you have dismissed it without any real alternative explanation....

~ PA

I find a great deal of problems with your post

one of the key definitions of a "cult" is the number of worshippers
according to whom?

your definition of a cult as "a set of beliefs that contradict the status quo" is almost meaningless

why would the number of followers define the nature of the belief system? that is the weakest possible argument

just as only having 2 followers doesn't make a faith a cult, neither does having 1.6 billion followers make something not a cult

a dictionary definition doesn't necessarily equate to a codified or even universally accepted definition

the definition of religion would depend on which context the word was being used

is Jainism a religion or a philosophy?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I disagree that Islam is a cult. The word "cult" is used too loosely in Christendom, and is generally used to mean, "Any group which does not conform to my theology." This word has become in Christianity a means to demonize smaller denominations which do not appear to conform to popular Christian culture.

Islam is not a cult. It is a religion.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Islam is a cult; much like the Branch Davidians, the Moonies and the Scientoligists. :noidea:
So what part of the definitions of "religion" did you disagree with to say that Islam is not a religion? I do understand that you have a very personal dislike of Islamic beliefs, but simply stating that they are a cult does not in any way address the debate.

I'm not addressing prepackaged definitions. I am stating that islam is a cult and I have already enumerated my reasons for saying this.

Remember that 1900 years ago, Christianity was considered a cult also :noidea: Today this view has obviously changed, but the earliest (1st century AD) prevailing view was that Christianity was simply a cultic offshoot of Judaism.

Just a thought :)

I disagree that Islam is a cult. The word "cult" is used too loosely in Christendom, and is generally used to mean, "Any group which does not conform to my theology." This word has become in Christianity a means to demonize smaller denominations which do not appear to conform to popular Christian culture.

Islam is not a cult. It is a religion.

I disagree but I'm sure you have your reasons for believing that.

Remember that 1900 years ago, Christianity was considered a cult also :noidea: Today this view has obviously changed, but the current prevailing view was that Christianity was simply a cultic offshoot of Judaism.

Just a thought :)

Christianity was considered a cult by the spiritually blind and deceived Jews at that time. They did not know the Truth and, largely, still don't.

I'm going to add this edit since I forgot something very important: early Christians were also considered a cult, a dangerous one, by the Romans before the reign of Constantine.

Christianity was considered a cult by the spiritually blind and deceived Jews at that time. They did not know the Truth and, largely, still don't.
I give up. Honestly, I don't even know why I try. Someone else can tell you how contradictory such a statement here is. I'll just leave it and shake my head - I have no time to argue with the wilfully ignorant. All the best,