• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

My husband and I were having a discussion the other night about the lotto. He likes to play the lotto once in awhile or scratch off tickets (when we have a couple of extra bucks) believe me it's not an every week occurance. I told him I thought it was a waste of money because I don't think it's something God wants us to put our trust and money into.

I said God blesses hard work and Faith in Him to supply our needs, and He's not gonna wave a magic wand and suddenly your rich. Besides that, if you look at peoples lives a few years down the road after winning the lotto, these people are miserable, usually more in debt than before winning from poor investments, alot of legal disputes over the money from other people wanting their cut ect.....

Hubby says it's all in fun, and he believes one day he's gonna win....

But the more I thought about it, a thought crossed my mind Is it sinful to play the lotto?

And if it is, are there any scriptures that talk about this sort of thing?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

Sorry don't know why the double post :laugh: if someone can help me out with that thanks.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I do not actually know if it is a sin or not... BUT... I DO know that it keeps a lot of poor people ...poorer. In our state, some of the busiest lotto sales occur in the low income housing sections. I thought this verse was interesting too... but don't know if it really applies...

1 Timothy 6:9-11 (New International Version)

9People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. 10For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Paul's Charge to Timothy

11But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.

Blessings!!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/11/1975

Sorry don't know why the double post :laugh: if someone can help me out with that thanks.

If you are playing the lotto to have a possability to get money to go Gods work, I don't see the harm.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

What I know is that I will NEVER win any money on the lotto. About 3 years ago I would buy the scratches hopping to

win $ 25,000.00 to go back to school. I never won the money. God provided in an other way. My job payed for everything

and i graduated 2 years ago. Now when I am having money problems I always get a shift of overtime. I know God will

provide for my family but by hard work only.

LCevallos.

Trust The Bible And The God Who Inspired It

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Matthew 6:24-34

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

The apostles cast lots for Mathias' selection to replace Judas.

Is that gambling or trust in God? "Casting lots" was a form of Roman gambling if I remember correctly.

:emot-pray: