• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

i learn something new every day! i wasn't aware of any other churches using wine. do they have an alternative for individuals who can't tolerate wine? i can't remember where i read it once, maybe here on WB... someone was ex-communicated from a catholic church for not partaking of the communion, but because of some medical problem, she could NOT take the wine. i'd never heard of that before, but apparently it does happen.

I honestly don't know, I will look.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

G-d says not to drink alcohol (as has been repeatedly shown in this thread), then DON'T DRINK IT.

God says not to drink alcohol at all? Where?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Quoting........

It's a poor translation in your opinion and the opinion of others that are like-minded, although I doubt they are trained Biblical or language scholars. So you are saying they should have inserted the word "new" and made a mistake and wrote the very opposite word "old"?

In any case, you can find references to 'new wine' in a negative connotation too.

+++++++++++

It is not "a poor translation"..it is "a mistranslation".

No they should speak where the bible speaks and keep silent where the bible is silent. That is the principle.

Your whole idea about this scripture giving credence to your belief based on the word "aged" and it simply has been made up.

==========

Quoting...

No matter how hard one might try, you can't logically translate the word wine to grape juice here, or in many other scriptures, it just won't work. A banquet of 'aged grapejuice"? I don't think so.

====

We just have wine on lees...period. We have no aged wine here. It appeared to be a great argument it just did not hold up to scrutiny.

You built a case for your position and it fell apart I have done the same thing in the past. I have a great argument for my side of the debate based on the NAS version of the bible I just can not use it because it is not what the scripture really says. :thumbsup:

I just can't get past God serving up something He calls "A MOCKER" in the Millennium. (Pro 20:1)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

most churches use grape juice. as far as i know, only the catholic church uses real wine. i think grape juice is the better alternative since many people either have issues with alcoholism or have allergic reactions to wine.

I'm Anglican and we use real wine.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Here's my question....why drink at all? Alcohol doesn't have to be part of celebration or any situation to be a good celebration. And there are healthier better tasting things to drink for your bodies as well, I am sure.

That's what I'm wondering. Is there a reason to drink it?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

Here's my question....why drink at all? Alcohol doesn't have to be part of celebration or any situation to be a good celebration. And there are healthier better tasting things to drink for your bodies as well, I am sure.

That's what I'm wondering. Is there a reason to drink it?

It does have an odd appeal, for some reason. Why that is I can't be sure. I know that wine is supposed to accent the flavor of Italian food...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

that being said, i suspect that exrockstar was being a little facetious when he asked about drinking with pretzels... a bit of light hearted humour that may not have been the best joke to make!

i see nothing wrong with having an occasional drink. i see plenty wrong with someone drinking as a means of escape, or to party, or to whatever. and while many christians may condemn me if i have a margarita with my fajitas, i'm quite comfortable knowing that God doesn't mind a bit.

an occasional drink is fine.

using good judgment is the key.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

G-d says not to drink alcohol (as has been repeatedly shown in this thread), then DON'T DRINK IT.

Like Pro 23:31 Do not look on the wine when it is red, When it sparkles in the cup, When it goes down smoothly. (Wine get its red from fermentation)

The next time you see red wine in a cup/glass repeat this COMMANDMENT and tell the person offering the cup " no thank you", I am not allowed to look on the wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup. Its against my religion.

Guest LadyC
that being said, i suspect that exrockstar was being a little facetious when he asked about drinking with pretzels... a bit of light hearted humour that may not have been the best joke to make!

i see nothing wrong with having an occasional drink. i see plenty wrong with someone drinking as a means of escape, or to party, or to whatever. and while many christians may condemn me if i have a margarita with my fajitas, i'm quite comfortable knowing that God doesn't mind a bit.

an occasional drink is fine.

using good judgment is the key.

exactly!

and honestly, i was making a point anyway. alcohol and mexican food don't mix well in my tummy. that's a good thing since i eat mexican food as frequently as i can, sometimes a couple of times a week. alcohol on the other hand, i may enjoy a daquiri (much more to my liking than a margarita) a couple of times per year. and i have no use for wine or beer, they just don't taste good at all!

Guest LadyC

Like Pro 23:31 Do not look on the wine when it is red, When it sparkles in the cup, When it goes down smoothly. (Wine get its red from fermentation)

The next time you see red wine in a cup/glass repeat this COMMANDMENT and tell the person offering the cup " no thank you", I am not allowed to look on the wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup. Its against my religion.

NOTE TO ARTSY: that means you're welcome to have a glass of white wine.