• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

However, on the first part of my question could you "Explain why God would create billions of gallaxies with perhaps hundreds of billions of planets and then leave them all devoid of life." What is the point of creating all the potential real estate and not using it?

That's one of the things I intend to ask Him about when I get to Heaven. :emot-questioned:

Only I am betting He has a purpose for it . . . He just hasn't revealed it to us (or we haven't figured it out yet).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

a vanishingly small number that may explain why 30 years of scanning the skies for signs of intelligent life has come up empty.

Full article here

we can't even find intelligent life here anymore...why are they looking there????

:blink:

:(

Maybe we are so egocentric that we don't recognize the obvious. God created the rest of the universe so that it could be inhabited by other life that he has created. Reading the Bible I am struck that there is no awareness in it of the universe that we recognize. God creates the sun, moon, and stars on a single day and spends the rest of the week making the earth. There is no mention of the making of the planets in our solar system; I think they must be included in the making of the stars and moon (which body does get mentioned). Knowing the immensity of the universe it makes far more sense that God created the earth, and all life on it, in a single day and spent the rest of the time making the universe as a whole. Clearly something is very out of wack with the timing of the whole creation epic. What we have is a story told by people who believe they were the centre of creation and who mistakenly believed that the earth was the largest and most complex part of that creation. The universe was not even imagined by them.

Man IS the center of Creation and rewriting Genesis is NOT an option, Hitchey. :(

Both of us know the universe is immense and we both know there are billions of galaxies with untold numbers of stars and planets.

Yes, we do.

i) What was the point in creating all this if it was to be left empty?

That's a question only God can answer.

ii) How do you explain that a single planet took five days to make but the entire universe with its billions of galaxies took only a single day?

That's something only God can explain.

The above scenario makes sense from the perspective of an ancient people who believed the stars were just above them and attached to the firmament of heaven. Earth for them was the largest object in creation and of course they thought it took longer to make. Just think about it.

I have thought about it and, actually, the Bible does not say that. You're trying to put an explanation on this issue that YOU can understand. That won't work.

Maybe we are so egocentric that we don't recognize the obvious. God created the rest of the universe so that it could be inhabited by other life that he has created. Reading the Bible I am struck that there is no awareness in it of the universe that we recognize. God creates the sun, moon, and stars on a single day and spends the rest of the week making the earth. There is no mention of the making of the planets in our solar system; I think they must be included in the making of the stars and moon (which body does get mentioned). Knowing the immensity of the universe it makes far more sense that God created the earth, and all life on it, in a single day and spent the rest of the time making the universe as a whole. Clearly something is very out of wack with the timing of the whole creation epic. What we have is a story told by people who believe they were the centre of creation and who mistakenly believed that the earth was the largest and most complex part of that creation. The universe was not even imagined by them.

Man IS the center of Creation and rewriting Genesis is NOT an option, Hitchey. :)

An old idea, MorningGlory. Before the days when anyone knew there was even such a thing as a galaxy, before anyone knew what stars were, it was assumed that Earth was at the centre of creation, with the Sun, Moon, and stars circling a flat Earth. If you read the Bible just so, you will discern that ancient paradime. It's there for those who are willing to look for it.

You misunderstand my words. Man is the center of creation....not stars, galaxies or the sun. Man. You, me and all other descendents of Adam and Eve. :)

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

As for why would the Lord create worlds without life . . . that's kind of up there with why create other galaxies at all? Why create Mercury?

There are many mysteries we don't know.

But from the scienetific view is Mercury a mystery? I don't think that astronomers would view the presence of uninhabitable planets as a mystery. It is really only a mystery from the religious viewpoint. Scientific theory expects such planets to be common.

But you were asking why God would do something.

Does something have to have an answer in order for it to be valid? :thumbsup:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1979

May 13th, 2009

A New Drake Equation? Other Life Not Likely to be Intelligent

Written by Nancy Atkinson

Speakers reviewed how life on Earth arose and the many, sometimes improbable steps it took to create intelligence here. Radio astronomer Gerrit Verschuur said he believes that though there is very likely life out there

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Mathematically derived evidence is dependent on unattainable precision.

The conclusions presented are specious, at best.

Mathematically derived evidence is dependent on unattainable precision.

The conclusions presented are specious, at best.

Okay....

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  04/18/1979

This is the 21st century version of geocentrism. Once upon a time, mankind the earth was literally the centre of the universe.