IGNORED

Point of No Return Marriage

Guest Butero
Startingover - have you and your husband had any counseling for your marriage? It's hard to live with someone under the conditions you describe. You have a lot of mistrust and anger and apparently he does too. Living as 'roommates' is a hard and lonely thing to do especially for that long (7-8 yrs). Do you want to save your marriage? Does he? If there is a chance -no matter how small, maybe you should pursue counseling. God forgives our sins if we repent and ask for His Grace and Mercy and forgiveness. You are not dead. You aren't - your heart is just hurting now.

I have asked my husband several times for us to go to marriage counseling. His response every time is "There is nothing wrong with me, it's you!" He really likes telling me that I have the issues, that I am a miserable person and I just like making other people miserable. He has told me to seek counseling for myself because I need it.

As far as reconciliation, I honestly don't have it in me. I started working on my salvation 4 months ago. He kind of mocks me with my religion. He has told me the Bible I am reading is doing me no good. I then responded maybe he should pick up a Bible, his response was if reading the Bible turns a person into someone like me, why bother.

I believe he holds a grudge on me because I have seen him for who he really is.

Here is my advise to you. Don't ask anything of your husband. Just be nice to him regardless of how he is behaving. At the same time, keep reading your Bible and pray each day for God to turn your marriage around. Your husband is bitter towards you for some reason, and the only thing you can do to change that is to turn the other cheek and be nice unconditionally. Here is some scripture that I hope will be of help to you. 1 Peter 3:1-2

LIKEWISE, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

2 While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.

You do what is right regardless of what your husband does, and see if things don't improve over time?

I have a question - Does God mean that wives should be under the subjection of husbands who are not living as Christians and doing UnGodly things? Christian wives should obey and follow husbands who are living an ugly and UnChristian lifestyle and committing adultery and other sins? Just wondering.

Obviously, these husbands are not living a Christian lifestyle, because it says, "if any obey not the word." Jesus gave one exception where divorce is permissible, and that is fornication. The word translated fornication can also mean adultery. That doesn't mean God wants any divorce to take place, but that he allows it when fornication is involved. God's will is that reconciliation take place whenever possible. Malachi 2:16 tells us that the Lord "hateth putting away," or divorce.

If a married man is doing things that are very questionable and 'lusting in his heart' - is that adultery?

No. You can't make a judgement on someone's heart. Only God can do that. When the Bible speaks of fornication, it means physical fornication, not just thoughts.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

Startingover - have you and your husband had any counseling for your marriage? It's hard to live with someone under the conditions you describe. You have a lot of mistrust and anger and apparently he does too. Living as 'roommates' is a hard and lonely thing to do especially for that long (7-8 yrs). Do you want to save your marriage? Does he? If there is a chance -no matter how small, maybe you should pursue counseling. God forgives our sins if we repent and ask for His Grace and Mercy and forgiveness. You are not dead. You aren't - your heart is just hurting now.

I have asked my husband several times for us to go to marriage counseling. His response every time is "There is nothing wrong with me, it's you!" He really likes telling me that I have the issues, that I am a miserable person and I just like making other people miserable. He has told me to seek counseling for myself because I need it.

As far as reconciliation, I honestly don't have it in me. I started working on my salvation 4 months ago. He kind of mocks me with my religion. He has told me the Bible I am reading is doing me no good. I then responded maybe he should pick up a Bible, his response was if reading the Bible turns a person into someone like me, why bother.

Here is my advise to you. Don't ask anything of your husband. Just be nice to him regardless of how he is behaving. At the same time, keep reading your Bible and pray each day for God to turn your marriage around. Your husband is bitter towards you for some reason, and the only thing you can do to change that is to turn the other cheek and be nice unconditionally. Here is some scripture that I hope will be of help to you. 1 Peter 3:1-2

LIKEWISE, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

You do what is right regardless of what your husband does, and see if things don't improve over time?

I have a question - Does God mean that wives should be under the subjection of husbands who are not living as Christians and doing UnGodly things? Christian wives should obey and follow husbands who are living an ugly and UnChristian lifestyle and committing adultery and other sins? Just wondering.

Obviously, these husbands are not living a Christian lifestyle, because it says, "if any obey not the word." Jesus gave one exception where divorce is permissible, and that is fornication. The word translated fornication can also mean adultery. That doesn't mean God wants any divorce to take place, but that he allows it when fornication is involved. God's will is that reconciliation take place whenever possible. Malachi 2:16 tells us that the Lord "hateth putting away," or divorce.

If a married man is doing things that are very questionable and 'lusting in his heart' - is that adultery?

No. You can't make a judgement on someone's heart. Only God can do that. When the Bible speaks of fornication, it means physical fornication, not just thoughts.

What about - Matthew 5:28

28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Guest Butero

28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

All Jesus is doing here is showing them how God views lust. He is not telling anyone that they can use this as an excuse to get a divorce. How does anyone know another person is looking at someone with lust in their heart? I just look at this line of defense as a justification for divorce when no real one exists.

Matthew 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whoseover shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Notice that he doesn't say, saving for the cause of fornication in his heart. It has to be actual fornication. God will deal with the heart issues at the judgement.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

All Jesus is doing here is showing them how God views lust. He is not telling anyone that they can use this as an excuse to get a divorce. How does anyone know another person is looking at someone with lust in their heart? I just look at this line of defense as a justification for divorce when no real one exists.

Matthew 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whoseover shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Notice that he doesn't say, saving for the cause of fornication in his heart. It has to be actual fornication. God will deal with the heart issues at the judgement.

Ok... I just wondered - not debating really - just wondered if a man who emotionally abuses his wife by doing things that he should not be doing - say, on the Internet and computer would be violating his marriage vows by doing such things. :noidea:

Guest Butero

Ok... I just wondered - not debating really - just wondered if a man who emotionally abuses his wife by doing things that he should not be doing - say, on the Internet and computer would be violating his marriage vows by doing such things. :noidea:

In the eyes of God perhaps, but I just feel like the Lord will sort those things out. There is a serious problem with a high divorce rate, and I think that is because we are too ready to find excuses to get out of troubled marriages rather than doing the hard work necessary to work things out.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/25/1977

Dear StartingToday,

There are many good points that people have pointed out. I in know way condone divorce, but I do understand what you are going through...as I'm sure many of us do. I have been there myself, and believe me, if there is ANY way in which you can avoid it...do so. I am also one that tries to avoid at all costs though, being legalistic. Yes, it is true that if you divorce you have sinned, we all do though. It is true that if you put away someone you cause them to commit adultery...we know what the bible says...But at what point do we say, we stay married, but sin constantly in our hearts. 1 Corinthians 7:5 tells us not to deprive one another, being that if we do, we will easily be tempted because of our lack of self-control. This does in fact seem like a difficult task. I guess what I'm basically trying to say, is that staying married just because the bible "Says so" yet you feel divorced in your heart...has no point. If possible, pray and pray about the situation if you have strength...if you don't, pray for strength. See where that leads you.

I did not jump on here to give you marriage advice though. My concern was that you felt that you would somehow be "left behind" if the rapture happened today. Well, those that will be taken in a rapture, are those that are saved. Just because you are going through a rough time in your life and have even sinned, does not make you ANY LESS saved than anyone else if you truly were saved to begin with. We all have sinned, shoot, we probably sin on a daily basis and don't even know it half the time. If this were the case, we would be saved one minute, lost the next, saved once more...Saved is saved. Jesus didn't die on a cross in order for those that truly believe in Him to play a balancing game...If this were possible, His sacrifice would be insufficient...It is not. There are many Christians that love and believe in Christ with all their heart and souls, yet still struggle with wordly desires. It's called being human. If we were all made completely perfect upon salvation, that means we would have no need for growth...We all need to grow. Christs atonement was sufficient enough to cover ALL sins...not just some. Now, you can most definetly put a fierce wedge between you and God in your relationship...But Christ said it best Himself...

John 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father

Guest Butero

The point I was making is that Jesus was very clear about the fact that divorce for any cause other than fornication leads to adultery. I don't consider following the teachings of Jesus legalism.

Matthew 7:24-27

24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock.

25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Matthew 5:17-20

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

We need to strive to live by the teachings of the Bible, and when Jesus tells us something, we need to strive to live according to his words. Again, what did Christ teach about divorce? Matthew 5:31-32

31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whoseover shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Jesus' disciples were having a hard time with this teaching. Matthew 19:10-12

10 His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Even after the disciples stated their concerns about this, Jesus didn't waver. Instead he told the disciples that marriage is not for everyone. It used to be that when a person married, especially a Christian, it was for better or worse, till death do you part. Unfortunately, over time, we have gotten to the place where we enter marriage thinking that we will remain in it till things get hard, and then we will get a divorce. That is not God's will.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

The point I was making is that Jesus was very clear about the fact that divorce for any cause other than fornication leads to adultery. I don't consider following the teachings of Jesus legalism.

Matthew 7:24-27

24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock.

25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Matthew 5:17-20

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

We need to strive to live by the teachings of the Bible, and when Jesus tells us something, we need to strive to live according to his words. Again, what did Christ teach about divorce? Matthew 5:31-32

31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whoseover shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Jesus' disciples were having a hard time with this teaching. Matthew 19:10-12

10 His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Even after the disciples stated their concerns about this, Jesus didn't waver. Instead he told the disciples that marriage is not for everyone. It used to be that when a person married, especially a Christian, it was for better or worse, till death do you part. Unfortunately, over time, we have gotten to the place where we enter marriage thinking that we will remain in it till things get hard, and then we will get a divorce. That is not God's will.

If I can give a hypothetical scenario.

Wife has actual "transcript" of a very explicit conversation between her husband and another female, not just one conversation and not just with one female but many. Does this prove he had lust in his heart?

Wife confronts husband and he states he was just messing around and meant nothing by it, then also throws in there he knew she was recording what he was doing, so he did it on purpose to teach her a lesson.

As stated, I believe up above, only God knows what is in ones heart. But is the wife to turn the other cheek and let him slap that one too and if so how many times? Obviously this husband isn't taking his vows seriously.

As much as women need to follow this verse

Ephesians 5:22

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

Shouldn't the husband be following this one?

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Obviously the above is not a hypothetical but what I have actually been dealing with since the first yr of our marriage. There are other things I had discovered as well over the past 12 yrs of our marriage. Do I have concrete proof? No, I have never actually caught him in the act myself. I have what I have been told by others and also the "womans intuition". In our first 6 yrs of dating I had inklings of dishonesty but they were put off as me being a very untrustworthy person.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Dear StartingToday,

There are many good points that people have pointed out. I in know way condone divorce, but I do understand what you are going through...as I'm sure many of us do. I have been there myself, and believe me, if there is ANY way in which you can avoid it...do so. I am also one that tries to avoid at all costs though, being legalistic. Yes, it is true that if you divorce you have sinned, we all do though. It is true that if you put away someone you cause them to commit adultery...we know what the bible says...But at what point do we say, we stay married, but sin constantly in our hearts. 1 Corinthians 7:5 tells us not to deprive one another, being that if we do, we will easily be tempted because of our lack of self-control. This does in fact seem like a difficult task. I guess what I'm basically trying to say, is that staying married just because the bible "Says so" yet you feel divorced in your heart...has no point. If possible, pray and pray about the situation if you have strength...if you don't, pray for strength. See where that leads you.

I did not jump on here to give you marriage advice though. My concern was that you felt that you would somehow be "left behind" if the rapture happened today. Well, those that will be taken in a rapture, are those that are saved. Just because you are going through a rough time in your life and have even sinned, does not make you ANY LESS saved than anyone else if you truly were saved to begin with. We all have sinned, shoot, we probably sin on a daily basis and don't even know it half the time. If this were the case, we would be saved one minute, lost the next, saved once more...Saved is saved. Jesus didn't die on a cross in order for those that truly believe in Him to play a balancing game...If this were possible, His sacrifice would be insufficient...It is not. There are many Christians that love and believe in Christ with all their heart and souls, yet still struggle with wordly desires. It's called being human. If we were all made completely perfect upon salvation, that means we would have no need for growth...We all need to grow. Christs atonement was sufficient enough to cover ALL sins...not just some. Now, you can most definetly put a fierce wedge between you and God in your relationship...But Christ said it best Himself...

John 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

SHOOT! ops that wasn't suppose to go through!!!!

Is there a way to delete? LOL

Just rewrite it or edit it will be fine.