• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  692
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

I am no scholar either but it does say in both verses 5 and 8 that Satan, "took and brought" which implies some sort of physical interaction. A person can sustain life as long as they have fluids. It says nothing about Jesus not drinking anything. Some prisoners have gone that long without food but did eventually die, however we aren't talking about just anyone, we are talking about the Son of God.

The Bible doesn't give the specifics so we are only speculating about the type of exchange between Satan and Jesus, but verse one says Jesus was full of the Holy Ghost, so who knows what is possible in that condition. When you read on down to verse 14 it says Jesus returned "in the power of the Spirit" to Galilee. Clearly the Holy Spirit was with him and personally I think that is the key to the whole thing.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Well the first temptation that Satan offered Jesus was attempting to use Jesus physical condition to Satan's advantage. Jesus had just fasted for 40 days\nights and Scripture says that Jesus was hungry... as I'd imagine he would be. Satan tried to get Jesus to turn the stones into bread, but Jesus responded with the Word, "'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God."

Wouldn't people have seen Satan & Jesus suddenly appearing on the highest point of the temple?

Not if Jesus didn't desire for them to see Him and Satan during the temptations. After all, Jesus did pass through a crowd of people that wanted to take hold of Him at one point in His life. :blink:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  04/18/1979

Wouldn't people have seen Satan & Jesus suddenly appearing on the highest point of the temple? Not unless it was a "supernatural" journey, like Ebeneezer Scrooge & the 3 Spirits who visit him on Christmas Eve. The first spirit took Scrooge to the past, but no one could see or hear him while he was there.

You do know the difference between fact and fiction........................right?

Is it humanly possible to go 40 days without food?

Do you doubt?

1) Yes.

2) No.

(BTW I was just comparing that story from the NT with A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, which is most assuredly fiction. Although it is true to life and the human condition ... :blink: )

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

But that's not to compare Jesus with Ebeneezer Scrooge.

Thank you for clarifying that one! :)

Yes Dear Brother, It Really Really Did Happened

For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Hebrews 2:16-18

And So Did His Resurrection

And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.

Mark 16:6

And So Will His Return

For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Matthew 24:27

Ain't He Wonderful

Love, Joe

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Satan goes about roaring like a lion seeking whom he may devour and in due season, he will come back. It says that after Jesus had resisted the devil in the wilderness, he fled.

It says, "And when the devil had ended all temptation, he departed from Him for a season". (Luke 4:13)

The Lord has not left us alone but has sent His comforter who we know to be our HOLY SPIRIT which dwells inside us as it did for the Son that day and is greater than any temptation the world or the devil hurls or shoots at us, who is greater than any lust the flesh may have.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

For us to try and separate Jesus' 2 natures would be unwise. All the text tells us is that He was tempted. How this temptation affected the union of HIs natures is not explained. So anything we would say would be speculation at best

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

This question has just ocurred to me. :wub:

We're all familiar with the story of Jesus' temptation in the wilderness by Satan, prince of demons. But was it a flesh & bone opponent Jesus interacted with saw or just a vision induced by the extreme hunger of fasting? Did Jesus experience a visit by Satan during a period of altered consciousness brought about by extreme hunger --a trance-- or did the devil walk up to him in a human body as solid as yours or mine?

I would presume that since Satan is an Archangel, with even the ability to walk amongst the angelic host (ref. Job), that he approached Jesus in that fashion - as an archangel. I don't think there's any reason to presume that Satan had to change his appearance to tempt Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  287
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/07/1967

I think there is some confusion here as to whether we are discussing Jesus in the flesh or Satan in a flesh form.

Clearly Jesus was there bodily, but there is no mention of the form Satan took.

Jesus recognized Satan for who he was, so the flesh part is not integral to the event.

I have always felt the world tour part was somewhere between actually being there, and a vision. It is not likely you could see many kingdoms and their glory from a mountaintop. But the jumping off the temple must have been a real scenario, or it would not have been worthy of mention. It is a bit thought provoking for sure.