IGNORED

problems at church

Guest Sing-A-Ling

Guest Sing-A-Ling

Hello brothers and sisters, I would appreciate some advise. I have been singing 4 The Lord for several yrs. I know that my voice is really God's voice and that I have been blessed with the privilage of using it. But I have encountered a problem w/ others because of it. I was a member of a church for several yrs. And I was asked almost weekly by other members 2 sing different songs that they liked. The Pastor really encouraged those of us that were annointed to sing for Him. He always said if you want to sing just come and tell me and he would have us sing at the next service. But since I was asked to sing so often the other singers started to treat me differently. Talk started w/ people saying that i was just showing off and I thought I was so much better than all the other singers. One woman overheard a member complementing me on a song that I sang and said that I was egotistical because I just said thank you. She said that I should have been humble and say that I didnt do that good. This started the rumors flying again. I dont believe in putting down the gifts God has given us and didnt feel that I should say that I had not done well because that would have been like saying that God didnt do well. She got very angry and told me that I was full of myself. It got so bad that I withdrew my membership and went to the church that my parents attended. But now I am starting to have the same problem all over again. I've been asked to fill in on the worship team and people are complaining because im not a member (I can understand that in a way). I've been asked to fill in on the tamborine and people are saying that im showing off w/ the "fancy" way that I play. I was complemented by a member on a song that I sang last Sunday and one of the other singers overheard and gave me such a look that it gave me chills. It seems like it is all starting over again. I hesitate singing the more difficult songs that I have because I dont want people saying I am showing off like they did at my former church. I dont feel comfortable filling in on the worship team or playing the tamborine. I feel so selfconcious in front of everyone that I really dont enjoy singing any more. Am I being prideful because i believe that God has given me a good voice? Is the devil just fighting against me so hard to keep me from singing? Are the people just jealous or insecure about their own singing? Please help me. I am getting to the point that i really dont want to do what I know God has annointed me for.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

May the Lord deliver you from stupid people!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  187
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1959

Hey Sing

I to am part of a praise and worship in my church we have only been going for a couple of years now. I have had the same kind of comments from people about my voice, the first time someone complemented me I didn't know what to say. I never got alot of complements growing up so getting one was foreign to me. So I just mumbled a thank you and looked for a way to escape. But someone told me that I should take the commplement in the way it was given with love and joy, because I have a gift that was given to me by God. And to take that lightly is like slapping God in the face for the gift.

When I sing now its like no one else is in the room with me except God and I sing directly to Him. Don't let anyone take that blessing away from you, not only are you worshipping God you sending a blessing out to the congregation and you never know who will be touched by the words you are singing. The ones that are jealous are letting self enter in and that is not of God.

You need to rise above the pettiness of these people and give 110% every time you sing or worship, that is your gift to God and He rejoices when you use it. It doesn't matter where you go what church you attend there are going to people like that. The only alternative is to stop singing and that will not glorify God. God is the only one you have to be accountable to. So sing your heart out and make a joyful "noise" to Him. (not really noise, you get what I mean). What kind of music/artists do you sing?

Sing a New Song Unto the Lord!!

Marilyn

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

The next time you get a compliment, redirect it to the Lord, after all He gave you your singing voice. You wouldn't be lieing, you're not being egotistical, and you're not rejecting the compliment. They sound like a jelous bunch. Keep singing and praising the Lord!!!!

• Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  01/16/1969

come to tennessee and join my church.we can always use another good singer :t2:

• Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  01/16/1969

just tell them that its the LORD's doings(thats what i say all the time with my poetry i write).tell them that youre just the vessel that holds GOD's songs(tell them youre GOD's radio :t2: )

Guest Sing-A-Ling

Thank you all for your advise. I appreciate all of you. And Marilyn, to answer your question, I really dont have a favorite kind of music that I sing. I sing all different kinds of songs. I just use the ones that touch my heart. Ive used every just about every type- gospel, southern gospel, contemporary, traditional hymns, name any kind of music and Ive problably done at least 1 of that style. :t2: Im just grateful that The Lord has allowed me to use His Voice and I sing anything I can, in any style that touches me. As for favorite artists I'd have to say my most favorite is the Gaither Vocal Band, especially their tenor, David Phelps. He has the most amazing voice I have ever heard. If you have never heard him I highly recommend that you do, you will definately be blessed by his voice.

And Bloodbought thanks for the invite. I would if I could. (By the way Im pentacostal, I can get a little "carried away" at times.) :t2:

Once again thank you all and God Bless.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

HI SING, Read your post, and it's sad to see how people react to your singing. I would learn from this experience and find a church you really liked and sing intermittently to keep the peace, letting other people sing even if people request that you sing more often. I myself don't sing at all, but i know how people can get even if their christians....... :t2: TAKO

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

Have had similar experiences with every area of ministry them Lord has placed me in. Bottom line, so did Jesus. Rejoice...great is your reward. Keep on keeping on.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/07/1964

What I do is always check myself 1st. I pray that the Lord will search my heart and bring to the surfice the things I need to get rid of.

But look, when someone says I did a good job, I say thank you. I bet if those same people are wearing a new shirt and someone says "you look good in that" they're not going to say "oh no, it's the Lord's look" no man, they're gonna say THANK YOU.

I think ya need a sitdown with the Pastor and talk about this.

Most of us who play music do have some sort of ego but if we can redirect it to point to the Lord then we're doing what we're supose to do.

If your good, your good. But always remember......everything we have that is good, comes from the Lord.

Some people are given gifts that exposed to the everyone and some are given gifts that are secret. But in the end, God will weigh all motives and we'll be glad or sad. :t2:

In his love,

Brian