IGNORED

Taking G-ds name in vain

Botz

Guest Called

Thanks for this thread Botz! I think I have said Geez or Sheesh before. I had no idea, but I am definitely going to come up with something else to say. :blink:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/16/1959

Botz, thank you for bringing this subject up.

seeknface, your heart seems to be to do the right thing,

Cheesencrackers comes from an old joke where a young boy takes the name of our LORD Jesus and used it as a swear word.

I have also heard that saying 'holy' in front of things that are not holy is defaming all that is holy.

Please don't think I am trying to judge you, I just wanted to pass on some thoughts.

My mouth could use some cleaning up as well.

stilllearnin'

Guest ReflectionsofHim

I like this topic! I have a BIG problem with people saying "Oh my God" and "Oh my Gosh" and "OMG"...that really, really bothers me. In our home we say, "Oh my goodness" or "Oh my gracious". I say "Gee Whillickers" a lot and sometimes, "Sheesh", but I think I will pray about the "sheesh" one. :blink: It's a little too close to that other "sh" word if you know what I mean and I said it one day in public and a lady thought I'd said that!!! :D I clarified quickly and she laughed but it's been on my heart every since!!!

When I injure myself I usually say, between gritted teeth, "Thank You, Jesus, Thank You, Jesus, but please make this stop!" LOL!! :D

I'm as human as they come...when I spilled that whole cup of coffee in my laptop week before last that "sh" word came out and I don't which I felt worse about! It shocked me so bad that I just slipped!!!! I've already been forgiven so now I can use it as a testimony. :wub: And I just try very hard next time not to do that!!! AKA repent and MOVE ON!!! :blink:

Love to you all through our Jesus!

Ref

P.S. It was very, very early in the morning and Noah was still asleep...just so ya'll know he didn't hear Mommy say that!!!

:hug:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  284
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/29/1940

Ah! Fokes, Isn't Jesus Wonderful? We are so blessed to have this board, and the good people that post here. God Bless You All! Now don't ask where I got this, because I have no idea, but I well say (beans 'in' corporated (?) ) Real dumb huh!!! That's okay guys, because you don't have to live with me, I do. Imagine, 24/7 and what's really bad, is I never no what I'm going to do next. Real Scary. Love you guys, Faith :oww: :oww: :oww: :oww:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  745
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  09/27/1976

Well, my problem is...

What do you say when you are frustrated or in pain from stubbing your toe or whatever situation you are in where you and everyone else uses these expressions?

Any alternatives?

And please don't say, "Say nothing," because be honest - something's gotta come out!

Well, instead of saying something negative, my Dad used to ( and probably still does ) starts singing " Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow " when he'd bump his head or stub his toe....I used to laugh when I was younger, but ya know what ? It actually helps more than you'd think....try it next time ( that is if you're familiar with the song ).

In HIM,

Bob

just an aside....

I could never use that song! I would laugh too much! That is because once when my husband and I were visiting friends in a different city, right before church, the wife tells us a funny story about her husband. The correct lyrics to that song are:

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow

Praise Him all creatures here below..."

the husband thought it went:

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow

Praise Him all creatures hear me roar...."

Then in church service, the husband went up after the offering and led that song! He caught our (mine and my husbands) eyes and we had the hardest time keeping a straight face because we just kept picturing him roaring! LOL!

Ok.....back on topic........

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

I say "geesh" all the time and sometimes "geez". They have nothing to do with my Lord. I ALWAYS use "OMG" and it stands for "oh my gosh". Using the Almighty's name wouldn't even enter my mind or be an option. Yes, some people use "OMG" and it stands for "God". I can't control what others do. And if anyone automatically assumes that my "OMG" means that too, then I guess they shouldn't be assuming or looking for evil where there isn't any. There is no evil intent other than internet shorthand is a major tool for me and something I use constantly.

I hear people say "for cripes sake" and that is too close for comfort for me. I guess it's all in the intent of the heart and we don't know what's in others hearts or what their intent is. And it's always wrong to assume.

I see that "OMG" offends some people on the board. I'll try to remember that when posting and make sure it says 'gosh'. :laugh:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  12/12/1939

I guess the one saying i say most is Good Grief.When i am angry discusted or annoyed is when i say it.Sure hope that dosent translate to somethiong else.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Point made Neb ROFL.

Not 5 minutes ago I'm cooking lunch ( already read Nebs thoughts ).

I accidently touched the hot plate with the tip of my finger as I picked up a spoon from along side, blistering my finger immedietly.

My thoughts did not go to say nothing.............. say nothing............... hold it in................ don't cuss.............

What should come flying out of my mouth......................

BUGGA !!!!

Typical Aussie response as my thoughts then went to this thread.................... Point being when you're in pain something comes out........... When you are happy something comes out and for a typical Aussie shiela bugga is as simple as saying sugar or shoot or geez or gee wizz be it expression of suprise, hurt, happiness, astonishment but NEVER would the Lords name come flying out of my mouth in any way shape or form to what I believe to be the name of our Lord.

LOL...Bugga.... :laugh:

Personally I think its what is in your heart when you say sheesh or geez. I would never say the Lords name in vain, but when I say those words, taking the Lords name is the farthest thing from my mind.... :)

Guest shadow2b
-Personally I think its what is in your heart when you say sheesh or geez. I would never say the Lords name in vain, but when I say those words, taking the Lords name is the farthest thing from my mind.... :laugh: 

-ditto.gif-ditto.gif-ditto.gif:laugh: There is absolutely NO WAY a christian would be equating {sssshhhheeessshh}with GOD--JESUS--OR THE HOLY-SPIRIT---these non-words

are just exactly "That"Non-words --just being silly--funny--having FUN with a Brother or Sister--I guess tho "anyone"can take ANY werd & make a stupid ISSUE out of it--ALL the while it is just really "Looking"to find fault or give someone a GUILT-Trip---I think "This" very same subject was brought up several months ago

& that's the only reason I remember this--the guy/gal--was trying to make an issue out of some silly-words--they were called on it & left rather suddenly--& never did answer----& THey were trying to put a guilt trip on someone-----

--Thanks KURT--- :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Guest dove2

"Sheesh" or "Geez" never entered my mind as saying anything about my Jesus and still doesn't. What bothers me is the words "good luck" because luck is short for Lucifer. I say blessings so that it is from God. I never say luck.

How many times do we hear people tell their children or friends "good luck" with your game or on your trip? Why not just say "blessings on you?" We taught our children to say blessings on you and our grandchildren have been taught to say blessings on you. That is giving our kids and friends God's blessing and not Lucifer's luck.

WIP, I never thought that OMG meant anything but "Oh My Gosh" which does not take God's name in vain.

I don't take the Lord's name in vain and I don't use words in place of taking the Lord's name in vain. If I get really really upset no one wants to know the word that I do use because it is the worst word in the world to me outside of taking the Lord's name in vain.