turtletwo

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

In these sad spiritual days with apostasy swirling all around us, understanding and presenting the true Biblical Gospel is getting challenging.

I have two elderly parents who "just don't get it," mostly due to improper and insufficient teaching about Salvation in their churches.

My dad comes from a Catholic background where he was brainwashed that he must live the best he can to please God. Then hopefully in the end God will say "Your good outweighs the bad" and maybe let him into Heaven. Poor dad said to my daughter, "I think I've lived a pretty good life and would go to Heaven." But then after a troubled, telling pause he added, "At least I HOPE I don't go to Hell..."

My mom comes from a Pentecostal background where the gifts of the Spirit often take center stage. Many there believing that IF they have spoke in tongues, they MUST therefore be a Christian. (The danger of putting the bigger emphasis on the gifts rather than on Conversion.) As a youth, I had witnessed my mom speak in tongues on several occasions, while being prayed over by persons surrounding her in the front of our Assembly of God church. But at home her lifestyle was very ungodly and didn't show the fruits (of really being Born Again. ) Recently, she said to me that she "hoped" she would go to Heaven. So just as with my dad, she has some uncertainty about her soul's final destiny too. She has said flippant comments like,"What does it matter if your dad is a Catholic and I am a protestant? What matters is loving God." This sounds nice. But doctrine IS very important! That is why I've posted this under the doctrinal forum. Correct theology and a yielded heart= (results in ) Salvation!! Right? But how do you help people realize this fact??

My mom has watched tv in the nursing home that is possibly messing with her head in recent times. That popular talk show garbage ( EX: Oprah ) where guests are mouthpieces for the devil...saying that there are many paths to God. A flat out lie, since Jesus stated "I am the Way. No man comes to the Father BUT BY ME." The new spiritualism is all around us...poisoning people's minds and confusing them. Even getting into many evangelical circles! I was floored when Billy Graham said to Robert Schueller that there will be those in Heaven who arrive there by differing paths but have come to God and served him by assorted names. When Scripture clearly states, "There is NO OTHER NAME under heaven by which we must be Saved" but that of Jesus Christ. Buddah, Krishna etc are not the same God...or even gods at all. We must call upon the saving Name of Jesus Christ.

Such mass deception convinces me we are definitely near the rise of Anti-Christ. This, combined with the serious health problems of my parents and myself ( some potentially life threatening ) have caused me a sense of urgency to do anything I can to bring them to Christ while there is still time.

But we are all 3 way too ill with diseases for any IN DEPTH witnessing. Up in years now, their mental understanding is on a simplistic level anyhow. And I'm withering away myself physically, which therefore clouds my mind and prevents elaborate gospel presentations.

My mom, thank God :24: loves to read. Both true stories or fiction. I mail her Janette Oak books. But lately I feel God leading me to buy her a simple PAPERBACK book that explains the Gospel in a BALANCED way. Not "Easy Believism" (the modern "watered-down gospel" that tickles ears)...which often actually produces counterfeit conversions! So this book Mom needs HAS to address the subjects of a real Hell and the need for repentance. But not in an over-the-top dramatically scary way (since she is in elderly and frail. ) The book must include God's Grace and Eternal Life being a free gift recieved by faith by putting your trust in Christ as Lord. I am having such a hard time finding such a book ( especially not as a sermonish preaching theology style, but in a short story form ) that covers ALL the necessary elements of how to become a Christian! And searching online is so tough for me with my visual problems, related to my Dystonia.

And what of my dad, who can't seem to ever get past his childhood Catholic ideas of "good-working his way to Heaven?" :( Sadly, he is not one who will read a book. Even the Bible... Is there any tract ( large print ) or any ideas on how to help him understand GOD'S GRACE, HIS SUBSTITUTION FOR US ON THE CROSS, OUR GRATITUDE FOR THIS AND THE NATURAL REPENTANCE THAT SHOULD FOLLOW OUR SEEING OUR WRETCHEDNESS? Like the man in Jesus' parable who beat his breasts in the Bible and cried out, "God be Merciful to me a sinner!" My dad has trouble confessing he is a sinner. I think that is what blocks his Salvation. ( Along with being told by the nuns and priests that he can never know for SURE if he will go to Heaven.)

;) Surely someone out there knows of a good paperback story form book to help my mom see the Gospel. And are there any ex- Catholics that can give me tips for helping dad?...Thanks. :noidea:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Sorry, but I know of no books ... Maybe a well written letter to them both with the following included and explained in your own words. Doing the personal thing will mean more to them then any book, I would think.

1. We are all Sinners

Ecclesiastes 7:20 For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God

2. The punishment for our Sin is Death

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

3. CHRIST died to Save Sinners

Isaiah 53:5-6 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

4. CHRIST will save us IF we ask HIM

Romans 10:9-10 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,166
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

blessings dear sister,

i do not know of a specific book that you are looking for as i do not do much reading outside of the Bible. they only books that i can think of that may help are some of the biographies that Christians have written.

you may find a large print track from the Billy Grahamn association for your dad. at least i think it would be a good place to start.

hopefully someone will answer your questions about the book soon. i think more people would see it if you moved it to general discussion or need some advice :thumbsup:

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David