• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I wonder sometimes whether what we see today is just the Holy Spirit guiding us, or whether it is the formal gift of knowledge etc.. :cool:

Well, if it is the gift of knowledge, it is the Holy Spirit guiding you. :cool:

It's awesome that you have this gift; I wish I did.

Just thank the Lord for speaking to you through this gift and that you can minister through it and such.

It is a gift afterall.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  33

I wonder sometimes whether what we see today is just the Holy Spirit guiding us, or whether it is the formal gift of knowledge etc.. :cool:

Well, if it is the gift of knowledge, it is the Holy Spirit guiding you. :laugh:

If that's what it is!

I guess what I am asking is.... does the Holy Spirit operate in our lives today outside of the 12 gifts? Is every discernment, foresight, wisdom, knowledge etc that we receive from the Holy Spirit a manefestation of a gift, or is it just how we experience the Holy Spirit today? I really don't know how other believers experience the Holy Spirit today...

:cool:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

If God gives you profound, supernatural insight, it could be considered a word of knowledge. The gifts are not resident in us, but given as needed like a surgeon being handed a scalpel for an operation. The Spirit can lead us relationally as we pray and search his Word. This might not be a word of knowledge, a specific bit of supernatural info for a purpose. So, it is semantics, perhaps, in your anecdotal story. We can define some parameters for gifts and then label anecdotally. The important thing is that it was from the Holy Spirit, not natural knowledge. You do not need a word of knowledge to drive from x to y if you have a map. You do need a word in order to pray if a relative was just kidnapped across the world. Your spirit might get insight supernaturally (gift) or you might just get a phone call from the police. Some operate in gifts without even realizing it. Others manufacture things in the flesh or are demonically deceived and think it is the Spirit. This is why there is a gift of discernment and we test things prayerfully with the Word.

Throwing the baby out with the bath water is an anti-gift reaction that is not called for (counterfeits prove vs disprove the genuine).

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

Is God still here? Is the Holy Spirit still baptizing? Is Jesus still saving?

Yes...and so are the gifts of the Spirit and the signs that follow the believers. Not every born again believer has all nine gifts of the Spirit, but all of us do have at least one.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/02/1989

Well, if it is the gift of knowledge, it is the Holy Spirit guiding you. :P

If that's what it is!

I guess what I am asking is.... does the Holy Spirit operate in our lives today outside of the 12 gifts? Is every discernment, foresight, wisdom, knowledge etc that we receive from the Holy Spirit a manefestation of a gift, or is it just how we experience the Holy Spirit today? I really don't know how other believers experience the Holy Spirit today...

:cool:

Well the Holy Spirit definately works in us outside of the gifts of the spirit... What about fruit of the spirit?

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another." Galations 5:22-26

I think that gift of knowledge the Holy Spirit has worked in your is wonderful :laugh:

Love

Your sister in Christ

Ella rose

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  388
  • Birthday:  10/02/1989

Other one,

That's great that you witnessed that healing :cool: That's the kind of healing that does make sense to me, becuase God seems to be getting the glory and not a particular person.

Still if anyone has had any experience with actual healers who have the gift of healing i'd like to know.

Love

Your sister in Christ

Ella rose

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

If that's what it is!

:)

I'm not sure I understand your confusion.

Discernment, wisdom, and knowledge are listed as gifts. (I think "foresight" could fall into one of those categories.)

The Holy Spirit does administer different gifts to different people and utilizes them different ways in each of us according to our needs and abilities.

I'm a teacher, not a prophet. The kinds of words of wisdom/knowledge I receive express themselves more in teaching contexts than salvation or seeing through the circumstances - or however you'd express the way it manifests in you. My sister-in-law has a prophetic-pastoral calling, and the Holy Spirit often reveals to her things that are going on . . . kind of the way you mentioned with being told that the girl was going to lie to you.

Does that make a little more sense, or did I confuse you more?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  33

If that's what it is!

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure I understand your confusion.

Discernment, wisdom, and knowledge are listed as gifts. (I think "foresight" could fall into one of those categories.)

The Holy Spirit does administer different gifts to different people and utilizes them different ways in each of us according to our needs and abilities.

I'm a teacher, not a prophet. The kinds of words of wisdom/knowledge I receive express themselves more in teaching contexts than salvation or seeing through the circumstances - or however you'd express the way it manifests in you. My sister-in-law has a prophetic-pastoral calling, and the Holy Spirit often reveals to her things that are going on . . . kind of the way you mentioned with being told that the girl was going to lie to you.

Does that make a little more sense, or did I confuse you more?

Makes a little more sense. I guess what I was asking is if what I had was just a normal kind of experience for someone who has the Holy Spirit dwelling within them. Does the Holy Spirit always operate within those 12 gifts, or is there a more general broader sense of just being led by the Holy Spirit?

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

Both general leading experienced by all believers and specific spiritual gifts experienced by some believes, not either/or.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  447
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

I have a question for those who do believe in the operation of the gifts today. Does anyone believe that they ceased, and started again in the early 20th century, around about the time of the Azure revival in 1906?

An interesting book, 2000 Years of Charismatic Christianity by Eddie L. Hyatt, finds that there has never been a time since the first century that some Christian group didn't claim to speak in tongues and have the gifts in operation. The author chronicles many of the groups and events.

Of course, the frequency of miracles did appear to decline after the church became an institution of Rome (I hope I am remembering this correctly). St Augustine in the 4th or 5th century wrote about the blind receiving their sight and the dead being raised, so cessation theory is out of the question.

This is really interesting Neb, because I was under the impression that the operation of gifts were not recorded in church history from about the third century AD til about the end of the ninteenth century. Certainly the reaction to the Azure revival makes me suspect that not only were tongues not in operation frequently at that time, but that the christians at the time were not expecting them to appear. Which gifts were spoken of? I still believe the Holy Spirit gives people knowledge and wisdom and discernment today.

I believe God was doing something in the early 20th century. You can google Agnes Ozman. She is given credit for --- hmmm --- many claim she is the first person in the 20th century to speak in tongues. This is the group that formed the core of the Azusa St revival a little later on. All of this started in Topeka, Kansas.

You can also read some of John Wesley's writings. Pentecostals will see the gifts of the Spirit in operation in his ministry, at least miracles. Interestingly, cessessionists will not come to that conclusion :) I think the thing that set the Azusa St people apart was not miracles or the operation of the gifts, but doctrine. These were the first ones to proclaim that the gifts of the Spirit were still in operation today and it took off.

One important observation, the Bible students in Topeka believed that speaking in tongues was the initial evidence of being baptized in the Spirit. The early Pentecostals never taught that you were not saved unless you spoke in tongues. That is a false, mutated doctrine. I'm not sure where it came from.