• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

"Hebrews 13:7

7Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. 8Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. "

Amen

There were great men who lived and who exemplified the kind of life and faith described in the Bible. And who had given all the glory back to God. I read about them because they also serve as inspiration.

...and amen

I read C.S. Lewis's "Screwtape Letters" when I was a new christian and I thought it was such an awesome book. I also read all 7 books of "The Chronicles of Narnia" and thought God had given this man so much creativity.

Great Book!!! Loved it, and still read it once a year.

Other people whom I have been very interested in is George Muller. He lived an amazing life. He was a man who looked unto God for his provisions.

There are many others.

Now, I'm reading A.W. Tozer's "Whatever Happened to Worship".

One of the next books which I will be reading soon. Can't wait.

I do agree that our foundation should be the Bible. In fact, I do think that if people spend more time reading Christian books than meditating on the Bible, then that is not a good thing too. I like what one preacher said. He said all those other books that cause you to hunger more for God's word and lead you to the Bible, are the best.

I heartily agree

Blessings...South

And blessings to you!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  09/05/1957

I do feel the same way. I am very skeptical of anyone else's teachings besides those directly from the Bible.

Why do you suppose that the Holy Spirit gives some the gift of teaching and the gift of the "word of wisdom" or the "word of knowledge"?

If we ignore those with these gifts, how does that serve the body?

God gave these people these gifts for a reason and I am going to take advantage of them.

Why would anyone want to limit their knowledge?

The Bible is sufficient, that is true. But the "Bible Only" people take it to an extreme that is not supported by the Bible itself.

Works by CSLewis are fun. They also break down a Christian allegory where children can grasp the concepts.

Lewis never claimed to be a 'Bible'. Neither have many authors. Some have said his works promoted a type of pantheism...but I don't think so.

The importance is for all Christians to keep open the lines of communication to not only children, but adults that have questions about interpretations and misconceptions on scripture.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  04/19/1942

I believe God gave the talent of story-telling and writing to so many fine authors. I read my Bible each day, but I cannot imagine not reading the works of writers who are so gifted and talented. I'm not reading them the same way in which I see Scriptures - I just do not limit myself to the Bible alone.

Exactly! :rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

I take if form this that you are against any sort of formal Christian education/training like Divinity School or seminary?

Not at all. I went to Sunday school, vacation Bible school and confirmation. :rolleyes:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I take if form this that you are against any sort of formal Christian education/training like Divinity School or seminary?

Not at all. I went to Sunday school, vacation Bible school and confirmation. :rolleyes:

Yes? and every pastor who attended seminary or divinity school or university that taught you what you know, studied the works of people like Spurgeon, Luther, Origen, Turtellian, Tozer and dozens of others. It is what made them well rounded, and able to understand the meaning of scripture better. They did not just expound on the gospel by rote, they understood deeper meaning because they had read and studied other works other than the bible, but based entirely on it.

I have no problem with you only reading the bible if that is the only understanding you feel you need. But I encourage you to broaden your horizons and read some of Tozers stuff for instance, it will give you a new understanding of scripture and your walk. And again, for someone who is just starting to read other stuff that is bible based, C S Lewis is a good start. He writes simply and gets his message across so well. Try his book Mere Christianity to start with, you will want more, I promise.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

If you are a bible only person, why did you ask us if there were any passages in the bible about burial or cremation? Surely "bible only" people would only trust the bible, and not our wisdom nor out summation of biblical principles?

Yes, the only book I read is the bible. The Word states there is only one teacher and that's Christ. If I can't trust the Holy Spirit of God to provide me with the truth, who can I trust?

you have never read a book other than the Bible? :rolleyes:

When I was new to all this God stuff, yeah. But that was 30 years ago. I do read other books, but when it comes to God and spiritual matters, it's the bible and only the bible.

My participation here and what I put forth comes from the Word. So no, it doesn't equate to reading and absorbing other peoples beliefs.

so you dont read what others have written on here? :emot-hug:

With all the arguments you and I have gotten into, how can you even ask that? :laugh:

If you are a bible only person, why did you ask us if there were any passages in the bible about burial or cremation? Surely "bible only" people would only trust the bible, and not our wisdom nor out summation of biblical principles?

Why do you think she asked, "are there any passages in the bible"?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Why do you think she asked, "are there any passages in the bible"?

Because this is all books do... they take topical bible passages and collate them together and offer an explanation. This is exactly what my post about burial would have done. What is the difference? If she was to accept my post, then why wouldn't she accept a book by the same merits?