IGNORED

Confession

Guest Adal

I am a Catholic and have never understood why Catholics have to confess their sins to a priest. Wouldn't it be better to confess directly to Jesus and ask for forgiveness?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

I am a Catholic and have never understood why Catholics have to confess their sins to a priest. Wouldn't it be better to confess directly to Jesus and ask for forgiveness?

A priest cannot forgive anyone's sins I don't believe. Jesus Christ sits at the right hand of God as our intercessor and he will forgive us our trespasses. When Jesus forgives you, you know your sins are gone. I wonder if the Catholic priests want sins confessed to them so they can maintain "control" over the people????? Don't know and don't want to get into a debate over "Catholic" vs "Protestant". God bless you. :emot-hug:

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

1John1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

I'm not catholic, but I grew up in a catholic neighborhood with many catholic friends and saw the weakness of this practice. Many would say things like, " well the priest forgave me " or " all I had to do was 10 hail mary's ".

Here is the problem, as I see it, 1) a priest cannot forgive or absolve sin. 2) Mary has no intercessory power whatsoever, so prayer to her is futile and idolatry.

Christ Jesus is our only intercessor. With a sincere and repentant heart all you need do is pray to the Father in Jesus name.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I have always used this scripyure as my guide.

Jas 5:13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise.

Jas 5:14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

Jas 5:15 And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

Jas 5:16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

So confession to other believers is good. I don't want to get into the whole confessional debate here, but it is right and scripural to confess to others.

Blessings

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Jas 5:13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise.

Jas 5:14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

Jas 5:15 And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

Jas 5:16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

So confession to other believers is good. I don't want to get into the whole confessional debate here, but it is right and scripural to confess to others.

Blessings

Fez, for sure, confessionals to other believers is good and scriptural. But, is it good for growth and maturity as a believer, or for forgiveness? I think the former. Forgiveness comes from confession and repentance to God. JMHO :emot-hug:

Blessings

Fez, for sure, confessionals to other believers is good and scriptural. But, is it good for growth and maturity as a believer, or for forgiveness? I think the former. Forgiveness comes from confession and repentance to God. JMHO :emot-hug:

Agreed andy, repentance has to be part of asking forgiveness, it is the next step.

Agreed andy, repentance has to be part of asking forgiveness, it is the next step.

Fez, do you agree that confession to other believers is not for forgiveness?

Yes I agree, it is the first step, shining a light on the problem, not hiding our sin, only Jesus can forgive us, but we can forgive others.

Mat 6:14 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you,

Mat 6:15 but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Am explaining myself well enough? this flu is getting in the way of my thought process :emot-hug:

Yes I agree, it is the first step, shining a light on the problem, not hiding our sin, only Jesus can forgive us, but we can forgive others.

Mat 6:14 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you,

Mat 6:15 but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Am explaining myself well enough? this flu is getting in the way of my thought process :emot-hug:

:emot-hug:

Makes perfect sense to me, Fez. Hope you start to feel better soon. Nothing worse than feeling like an airhead :emot-hug:.

:24: My decidedly unchristian revenge meter is going into the red :laugh: Beware! go boil an egg! :24: