• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Hello everyone,

I have recently taken on the leading of a small college group bible study. One of the questions that has come up is the question of how to determine what God is telling you to do, and how to ensure you are hearing God, as opposed to being mislead by your own desires or by satan. Now, that is a deep question, and I'm not asking for a complete answer or anything. What I want is a section of scripture to study inductively that might offer some answers. It has been suggested that I try the book of Nehemiah, but I wanted some more thoughts on the matter. The way I carry out inductive bible studies takes 2-3 hours per chapter generally, so I obviously can't do the entire book of Job or anything. I'm also looking for larger sections (a chapter at least) with discerning God's voice as a theme, rather than an odd verse here or there.

So in short, does anyone have any recommendations for passages that might deal, either directly or indirectly with this issue?

Many thanks,

-Keilan

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

First and foremost, does the calling Glorify God or self?

Does the calling hold up to the scrutiny of scripture? I will refer you here to the temptations of Christ, bearing in mind that the devil will use scripture to try and lead us into sin...discernment is key.

What do the brethren say about this calling?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

There is no step by step way of knowing, only through the Spirit will one know. Discernment is key as we are told to test every spirit. Being a Berean is another key, for if it is of God, scripture will back it up. We are also told to be sure of our calling and election.

Since you ask for scripture, the simplest I can find is here:

Galatians 5:16-26

Walking in the Spirit

command

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

flesh

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,[c] fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,[d] drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Spirit

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Hello everyone,

I have recently taken on the leading of a small college group bible study. One of the questions that has come up is the question of how to determine what God is telling you to do, and how to ensure you are hearing God, as opposed to being mislead by your own desires or by satan. Now, that is a deep question, and I'm not asking for a complete answer or anything. What I want is a section of scripture to study inductively that might offer some answers. It has been suggested that I try the book of Nehemiah, but I wanted some more thoughts on the matter. The way I carry out inductive bible studies takes 2-3 hours per chapter generally, so I obviously can't do the entire book of Job or anything. I'm also looking for larger sections (a chapter at least) with discerning God's voice as a theme, rather than an odd verse here or there.

So in short, does anyone have any recommendations for passages that might deal, either directly or indirectly with this issue?

Many thanks,

-Keilan

Yes it is deep! And one that is important to all of us. Hearing God means you have to be close to Him. many people who say I can't hear God are too far away, and then start putting their own desires first, what they think they want to hear!

1Ki 19:11 And he said, "Go out and stand on the mount before the LORD." And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake.

1Ki 19:12 And after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper. 1Ki 19:13 And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him and said, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

Now remember that Elijah had just killed 400 Prophets of baal, he was acting in such a strong faith in God, and then: -

1Ki 19:1 And Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done, and withal how he had slain all the prophets with the sword.

1Ki 19:2 Then Jezebel sent a messenger unto Elijah, saying, So let the gods do to me, and more also, if I make not thy life as the life of one of them by to morrow about this time.

1Ki 19:3 And when he saw that, he arose, and went for his life, and came to Beersheba, which belongeth to Judah, and left his servant there.

He had a major lapse in his faith and questioned himself and his walk.

In among the noise of the world we have to be close to hear the whisper of the Spirits voice, for He does not shout (at least not that often!), and that takes faith and staying close to Jesus.

Joh 13:23 Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved. - we have to be that close, as close as John was when he felt the heartbeat of God!

Nehemiah is a wonderful book on faith, but it is also a wonderful example on how we should pray in faith. Nehemiah knew how to pray! In his first prayer, wanting to go and rebuild the walls (a wonderful analogy for faith, the walls are!), he prayed and fasted for days. in his second prayer when the king said whats up with you, he prayed and answered (must have been one of the shortest prayers in the bible), he had to answer instantly (but his first prayer had prepared him). In his third prayer he "prayed to our God, and set up a watch" on the walls (again we need to be watchful of everything around us at all times, and pray first!)

Spurgeon said, "never go anywhere you cannot go without praying first".

I could go on, but lest I bore you to death, it is about staying close and praying!

Blessings

• Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me.

John 10:27 HCSB

Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God.

Romans 12:2 HCSB

• Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

Another great passage is 1 Samuel 3 regarding Samuel and Eli

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Actually I recommend the Story of Lazerus and the Rich man.. here it is. The point is highlighted.

Luke 16:19-31

Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus

19 Jesus said, “There was a certain rich man who was splendidly clothed in purple and fine linen and who lived each day in luxury. 20 At his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus who was covered with sores. 21 As Lazarus lay there longing for scraps from the rich man’s table, the dogs would come and lick his open sores.

22 “Finally, the poor man died and was carried by the angels to be with Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and his soul went to the place of the dead. There, in torment, he saw Abraham in the far distance with Lazarus at his side.

24 “The rich man shouted, ‘Father Abraham, have some pity! Send Lazarus over here to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue. I am in anguish in these flames.’

25 “But Abraham said to him, ‘Son, remember that during your lifetime you had everything you wanted, and Lazarus had nothing. So now he is here being comforted, and you are in anguish. 26 And besides, there is a great chasm separating us. No one can cross over to you from here, and no one can cross over to us from there.’

27 “Then the rich man said, ‘Please, Father Abraham, at least send him to my father’s home. 28 For I have five brothers, and I want him to warn them so they don’t end up in this place of torment.’

29 “But Abraham said, ‘Moses and the prophets have warned them. Your brothers can read what they wrote.

30 “The rich man replied, ‘No, Father Abraham! But if someone is sent to them from the dead, then they will repent of their sins and turn to God.’

31 “But Abraham said, ‘If they won’t listen to Moses and the prophets, they won’t listen even if someone rises from the dead.’”

So the point is, read the Bible and you will know.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

Hearing His Voice...if you ask His to open up your understanding of His word as you read it...He will. Hold tight to it and don't allow the cares of this life choke it out of yours...it keeps getting gooder and gooder all the time!!!

John 14:17

the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.

John 16:12-14 (New King James Version)