IGNORED

Doubt about remarriage

JCISGD

i haven't read the article, nor do i intend to. i believe scripture is clear enough, and i have the peace of the Holy Spirit over it, despite how many people love to tell me that i'm wrong and that i'm committing adultery every time i am intimate with my husband.

but after all that i've read in these discussions, it appears (correct me if i'm wrong) that this rick guy says that divorce is not permissible (and therefore neither is remarriage) under any circumstances, is that right? if that is what he is saying, then it has already been pointed out to you where the errors are in his assertion.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.86
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

But IF it is true then I am right to be concerned for the countless Christians who have divorced and remarried yet believe the Lord approves. I have not recieved a direct word from the Lord, so all i can do is sift through the proofs being claimed.

JC, I don't think that anyone is saying that they believe that the Lord approves of divorce and remarriage. What I do read is that the Lord is faithful and just and forgives all who ask. This includes adultery. No one is going to "disprove" the writing that you keep "reminding" everyone that you are looking to be disproved. I think that is just a reason to argue your position, which no one is aggressively disagreeing with. I think it is great that you are concerned that there are Christians out there who should be worried for their salvation because of their non-repentance, but no one on this forum is arguing that point. You keep making the same points, but you are gaining no ground because you are "preaching to the choir." Please don't take offense, this is just my observation.

Be blessed.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

i haven't read the article, nor do i intend to. i believe scripture is clear enough, and i have the peace of the Holy Spirit over it, despite how many people love to tell me that i'm wrong and that i'm committing adultery every time i am intimate with my husband.

but after all that i've read in these discussions, it appears (correct me if i'm wrong) that this rick guy says that divorce is not permissible (and therefore neither is remarriage) under any circumstances, is that right? if that is what he is saying, then it has already been pointed out to you where the errors are in his assertion.

Hi LadyC, I need to ask first, do you believe that anything we do while not convinced beyond all reasonable dout of its lawfulness is sin?

"for he who doubts but eats is dammed, for he eats not from faith, for whatever is not from faith is sin. Rom 14:23

No one here has pointed to any proof supplied by Rick or attempted to refute it, so I can only conclude that so far they cant.

Please remember I am not teaching it, I am only here asking for others to help me see any error in it if there is. I cant see any, but ive been wrong before when i was sure i was right.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

But IF it is true then I am right to be concerned for the countless Christians who have divorced and remarried yet believe the Lord approves. I have not recieved a direct word from the Lord, so all i can do is sift through the proofs being claimed.

JC, I don't think that anyone is saying that they believe that the Lord approves of divorce and remarriage. What I do read is that the Lord is faithful and just and forgives all who ask. This includes adultery. No one is going to "disprove" the writing that you keep "reminding" everyone that you are looking to be disproved. I think that is just a reason to argue your position, which no one is aggressively disagreeing with. I think it is great that you are concerned that there are Christians out there who should be worried for their salvation because of their non-repentance, but no one on this forum is arguing that point. You keep making the same points, but you are gaining no ground because you are "preaching to the choir." Please don't take offense, this is just my observation.

Be blessed.

Hi Parker no offense taken of course. I am a firm believer that christians are not to take offense but to turn the other cheek, and to forfeit rights over the soul of another.

I am not trying to gain ground but have submitted Ricks teaching to the scruitiny of those here to see if they can see error that i cant.

If the Lord does not approve then surely it is sin that is commanded to be repented of or forfeit salvation? There are plenty in hell who began the christian walk but took offense to someone and refused to forgive. IF remarriage (apart from the correct exception) is adultery, then multitudes of christians today are in error and in danger of hell.

Likewise brother please dont be offended by me also, but I think you have an antinomian veiw of Gods law. I dont know your heart but you seem to be trying to be merciful which is comendable. Nethertheless I have to say I think you are wrong.

Have you read this article? It seems clear that Jesus our LORD, does not condone any divorce and subsequent remarriage unless unlawfully married in the first place.

oh, but it HAS been pointed out. maybe it was in a different thread. but scripture does not say that one is prohibited from divorce for any reason. it is very clear that one can divorce for reasons of sexual immorality within the marriage. re-marriage under that circumstance, as has also been pointed out (the words of paul in 1 cor 7 i think) is not a sin.

and i can't answer the question you asked, because my brain isn't quite wrapping around what it was you are asking. maybe you can rephrase it. don't know when i'll be back on to answer though... this thread really hasn't been my highest priority because it gets rather repetitive... especially when it gets brought up a half dozen times a year, and every time it does, there ends up being three threads going on the subject at any given time.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

Amen, amen! :emot-pray:

My take is, why should I read something that would upset my peace in Jesus Christ? Or suddenly be seized by fear and torment from someone else's view when I know the master of my soul doesn't condemn me? I can read the bible myself, I don't need some author's comments about my salvation. We could all find something in another's doctrine thatwould cause us to question something about our salvation if we let it. I was rather defensive because I resent MAN trying to steal my peace. I am not angry, but most of know this is an explosive subject....... Oh that all us (and mostly me!) would have the gift of discernment of spirits and about half of this stuff would not be on this forum. God bless.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

And if you do get a divorce and remarry outside the will of God, if you are contrite and repent, that your sin will be forgiven and your salvation is not in jeopardy.

Yes like all sin.

It gets sticky when we are looking at planned repentance. What I mean by planned repentance would be in my case if I cheat on my wife, leave her and marry the person I am cheating with and then repent, relying on that repentance so I can continue to cheat with my lover. But this would also apply to all sin. For example let us say I am a thief, and I rob a bank, I repent, but at the same time I refuse to give the money back. This is much like the adulterer who leaves his husband or wife for another lover, they feel bad about it, but they refuse to give up their new lover. Repentance and contrition mean you stop the sin.

But that is between the person and the Lord and there is NO way we can know if that is the case from the outside, people know when they are trying to play with sin.

I don't think it is judgmental to point these things out though, as long as we do it with a pure heart and not with the intention of judging someone, but indeed we are looking at helping someone. I know that I was pierced to the heart when someone lovingly pointed out sin in my own life that I refused to give up (this was after I was a believer), and I was mad, but in the end they did me a favor.

Be blessed.

Hi Parker no offense taken of course. I am a firm believer that christians are not to take offense but to turn the other cheek, and to forfeit rights over the soul of another.

I am not trying to gain ground but have submitted Ricks teaching to the scruitiny of those here to see if they can see error that i cant.

If the Lord does not approve then surely it is sin that is commanded to be repented of or forfeit salvation? There are plenty in hell who began the christian walk but took offense to someone and refused to forgive. IF remarriage (apart from the correct exception) is adultery, then multitudes of christians today are in error and in danger of hell.

Likewise brother please dont be offended by me also, but I think you have an antinomian veiw of Gods law. I dont know your heart but you seem to be trying to be merciful which is comendable. Nethertheless I have to say I think you are wrong.

Have you read this article? It seems clear that Jesus our LORD, does not condone any divorce and subsequent remarriage unless unlawfully married in the first place.

Well, I'm not going to question your motives for harping on this subject so I'll just leave it at that.

And if you do get a divorce and remarry outside the will of God, if you are contrite and repent, that your sin will be forgiven and your salvation is not in jeopardy.

Yes like all sin.

It gets sticky when we are looking at planned repentance. What I mean by planned repentance would be in my case if I cheat on my wife, leave her and marry the person I am cheating with and then repent, relying on that repentance so I can continue to cheat with my lover. But this would also apply to all sin. For example let us say I am a thief, and I rob a bank, I repent, but at the same time I refuse to give the money back. This is much like the adulterer who leaves his husband or wife for another lover, they feel bad about it, but they refuse to give up their new lover. Repentance and contrition mean you stop the sin.

But that is between the person and the Lord and there is NO way we can know if that is the case from the outside, people know when they are trying to play with sin.

I don't think it is judgmental to point these things out though, as long as we do it with a pure heart and not with the intention of judging someone, but indeed we are looking at helping someone. I know that I was pierced to the heart when someone lovingly pointed out sin in my own life that I refused to give up (this was after I was a believer), and I was mad, but in the end they did me a favor.

I was talking more along the lines of one getting a divorce, for whatever reason, who eventually meets and falls in love with another and they marry. Not playing with sin. That is totally different and falls within the realm of willful sin.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Yes I totally agree.

I think part of the problem is that we as a Protestant Church have not dealt with divorce, we leave people hanging, we marry them then we turn our backs we don't help people who do need to have their divorces blessed by the Church. One may say, BLESS a divorce! I would respond yes indeed bless a divorce we marry people we do not excommunicate people for being divorced we accept divorce, why do we not help innocent parties get through a divorce and heal?