Saved_by_Jesus

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Can't do communion at home. You need to have other believers.

I agree.

Act 2:46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts,

Why not? If you were all alone and decided to remember Christ in such a manner, are you saying this can't be done? It is better to do with others, but I can not find anywhere in scripture that tells us we can't do this alone.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

There is a big division over what communion is and means.

I don't think though that we should worry about the place so much as what we are doing, can we baptize ourselves? If we can baptize ourselves we can certainly take communion by ourselves. However if we cannot baptize ourselves we cannot give communion to ourselves.

I don't think though that we should worry about the place so much as what we are doing, can we baptize ourselves? If we can baptize ourselves we can certainly take communion by ourselves. However if we cannot baptize ourselves we cannot give communion to ourselves.

First, the two are very different. One is in obedience to Christ and is acknowledging outwardly what was done inwardly, the other is in remembrance of Him. Setting church doctrine aside, can scripture be given against breaking bread in remembrance of Jesus alone?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

I've been trying to take communion at home every day.....but the problem is, I don't know what to say when I take it!

What are the WORDS that you say as you eat the bread/cracker and drink the juice?

My pastor did a sermon on communion, and the words he spoke to say were very long and detailed and my poor brain just can't wrap around it at all.

Tried googling it with no luck, and the Bible references didn't exactly say what words to SAY, only that they "did it in rememberance of Him"

Need some short, sweet, meaningful words for a very forgetful person like myself. lol

first off,

why are you trying to take communion every day?

what does the word COMMUNION mean? break it down and see what it means back to the root.

when a family breaks bread together (breakfast, lunch, supper) they are communing with each other with their meal....

is the act more important then what it is meant to remind us of? if we are doing it just to be doing it, it becomes religion and tends to loose the meaning behind it.

Christ told us that when we break bread together, when we drink wine (juice, milk, water...) we are to do it in rememberence of Him...

taking a cracker, and a bit of juice does nothing for a person other then tends to let them know how hungry or thirsty they really are...

as far as the words a person says when taking it, well, is it going to be a canned set of words, or is it going to be something that comes from the heart?

is this something that will be for you and the Lord? or just so you can say you are doing this every day?

I hope I do not sound like I am picking on you, for I am not, just trying to maybe help you along the way....

the words you use, will not be the same words I use, the number of words you use will not be the same number I use. I some times take more words to get my message across, and others may use less, or, they may even use more words then me....

what you say is more important for God then for me, do not get stuck on words, just like in praying, do not get stuck on having a very well worded, eliquent speach. God is just happy that you are talking with Him....

communion at church is different then at home, the pastor is teaching us and explaining to us as he is presenting it, yet, at home, we ought to do as the Hebrews did when they did the pass over, they went through the whole bit with how it came to be, and what the meaning of everything is, theirs is not with just bread and wine, but also had Lamb, and Bitter Herbs.....

I am not trying to talk you out of doing communion at home, or even every day, just want you to think about why you want to do it, and how you might go about it....

blessings..

mike

First, the two are very different. One is in obedience to Christ and is acknowledging outwardly what was done inwardly, the other is in remembrance of Him. Setting church doctrine aside, can scripture be given against breaking bread in remembrance of Jesus alone?

No, if we can take communion alone we can baptize ourselves also.

We can and should remember Christ at every meal, every time we break bread, but that is not communion.

No, if we can take communion alone we can baptize ourselves also.

We can and should remember Christ at every meal, every time we break bread, but that is not communion.

Scripture please.

Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to wise men; judge for yourselves what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread.

In the following directives I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good. 18In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it. 19No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God's approval. 20When you come together, it is not the Lord's Supper you eat, 21for as you eat, each of you goes ahead without waiting for anybody else. One remains hungry, another gets drunk. 22Don't you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you for this? Certainly not!

23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. 31But if we judged ourselves, we would not come under judgment. 32When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.

33So then, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for each other. 34If anyone is hungry, he should eat at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment.

And when I come I will give further directions.

Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to wise men; judge for yourselves what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread.

In the following directives I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good. 18In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it. 19No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God's approval. 20When you come together, it is not the Lord's Supper you eat, 21for as you eat, each of you goes ahead without waiting for anybody else. One remains hungry, another gets drunk. 22Don't you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you for this? Certainly not!

23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. 31But if we judged ourselves, we would not come under judgment. 32When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.

33So then, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for each other. 34If anyone is hungry, he should eat at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment.

And when I come I will give further directions.

This is speaking of when we do come together to share communion and where those who had been doing so were doing so wrongly. It does not tell us we can not do so by ourselves. You will not find it is scripture, but please continue to look to satisfy yourself. Where is the instructions telling us that we can not do this alone? It is not there. Jesus said that whenever and as ofter as you do this, you are proclaiming the Lords Death.

1 Corinthians 11:23-26

23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said,

The same of course holds for Baptism.

If you can read the above versus speaking of exactly what communion is, the Body and Blood of Christ, how those who take it without discerning the Body of Christ become sick, what the very word "commune" means, and still think you can do it by yourself then okay, you are right I have nothing more.

Of course there is not a single case in scripture of anyone doing that.

The two are very different. Why do you tie them together, as if you can't have one without the other?